How to improve the 49ers in the 2019 offseason

Geek

What does everyone think about trading Armstead this offseason? His value has never been higher and he has one more year under contract after this season. I wonder if the Niners could receive a 3rd for him. I'd really think about doing a trade like that.

Also, would you trade Beathard for a 6th and keep Mullens, or trade Mullens for a 4th and keep Beathard?

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

What does everyone think about trading Armstead this offseason? His value has never been higher and he has one more year under contract after this season. I wonder if the Niners could receive a 3rd for him. I'd really think about doing a trade like that.

Also, would you trade Beathard for a 6th and keep Mullens, or trade Mullens for a 4th and keep Beathard?

I'd be shocked if he had any market value in trade. He's not worth the 9 million dollar hit that he carries next year as a guy that doesn't rush the passer. Definitely not getting anywhere close to a third. Far more likely that he would be released / extended. 

I'd also be shocked if we can get a 6th for Beat Hard at this point in time. But to answer your question, you trade Beathard, even if it's just a swap of picks. 

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm not trading Mullens if we don't get a 2nd or high 3rd in return. He has proven he can at the very least be a solid back up.

Move on from Beathard and get whatever you can for him. Terrible football instincts that I'm not sure he will ever be able to improve on.

Armstead is on a 5th year option next year. Will be making close to $10 million, who will trade for that? Definitely won't get a 3rd for him. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not trading Mullens if we don't get a 2nd or high 3rd in return. He has proven he can at the very least be a solid back up.

Move on from Beathard and get whatever you can for him. Terrible football instincts that I'm not sure he will ever be able to improve on.

Armstead is on a 5th year option next year. Will be making close to $10 million, who will trade for that? Definitely won't get a 3rd for him. 

Fair enough on the Armstead idea. As for Beathard, I think the Niners could move him for a 6th to a QB needy team. If not before the draft, then definitely at the end of the preseason. I understand many are down on him, and rightly so sometimes, but I still think a team could value him enough to want to bring him on to compete for a backup role. 

Backup QB's traded since 2010, according to PFF:

• Brett Hundley for a 6th
  • Christian Hackenberg for a future 7th
  • Cardale Jones for a 7th
  • Matt Barkley for a 7th
  • Ryan Mallet for a 7th
  • Terrell Pryor for a 7th
  • Tavaris Jackson for a 7th
  • Drew Stanton for a 6th
  • Seneca Wallace for a 7th

I think Beathard could fetch a 6th, or at the very least, a 7th. As we've seen the past two drafts, this front office does some damage with their late-round picks. 

If we wanted to expand this a little further out for Mullens comps:

• A.J. McCarron for a 5th
  • Jimmy Garoppolo for a 2nd
  • Tyrod Taylor for a 3rd
  • Matt Flynn for a 5th and a future 5th
  • Kevin Kolb for a 2nd
  • Trevor Siemian & 7th for a 5th
  • Deshone Kizer, 4th, and 5th for 4th and 5th and Damarious Randall
  • Matt Cassel & 6th for a 5th and future 7th
  • Colt McCoy & 6th for a 5th & 7th
  • Charlie Whitehurst & 2nd for a 2nd & future 3rd

There are a few others traded since 2010, but they had either a high-draft pedigree or have been starters for a few years before being traded.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mullens isn't fetching that fwiw.  He's completing 63% of his passes with a 10/7 TD/INT ratio under a strong offensive mind.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Mullens isn't fetching that fwiw.  He's completing 63% of his passes with a 10/7 TD/INT ratio under a strong offensive mind.

Which is fine because as a back-up for us he has shown he is pretty valuable. Especially considering the injury history of Jimmy G since he came into the NFL.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And there would be no need to trade him then. Hard to find quality back ups and as I stated, he at least fits that bill. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And there would be no need to trade him then. Hard to find quality back ups and as I stated, he at least fits that bill. 

Yeah, I feel like Mullens has a lot more value to us than to any other team, and that he has more value to us than whatever draft pick we could get for him. The kid has talent and a lot of heart, but it's hard to imagine he isn't, at least in some capacity, a product of Kyle's system. I feel more confident with him as our back-up than I am with CJ.

Trading Nick Mullens would be a mistake - name me any other third stringer on any other team who could do a better job than he has given his limitations.  He's a solid enough back-up and has earned that spot IMO.  He's getting to know Shanny's system and works well enough within it.

We should not let Matt Breida get away from us either, despite his frequent injuries - I don't know what his current contract status is.

Ironically we are so lacking in talent and experience that there aren't many teams out there who would be willing to poach many of our players - the negative side of that is it doesn't give us much potential for trades at draft time.  Having said that I think we need to consider trading our number one pick for something lower in the first round, plus other picks/players.  That might sound rash but we need a lot more than just one difference maker, especially at pass rusher and WR.

Our O line performed very well when we ran the ball but we need much better pass protection for our QBs,  especially if Jimmy G does turn out to be brittle (I don't think he is by the way, he just had a couple of tough breaks with the injuries he got).  So another quality O lineman would be helpful.  We can't sustain drives without better blocking.

As for free agents, a serious attempt to get Earl Thomas would help a lot.  Landon Collins (NYG) may be available in the off season too.

We also need something we had none of this season - luck with injuries.  Anyway that's my two cents worth, as you say on your side of the pond.

I've been looking hard into the FA class for EDGE help. Two guys who have played well for their teams when given the chance, are young and will probably be looking for a pay day and their chance to shine are Shaquil Barrett from Denver and Za'Darius Smith from Baltimore. Both have graded out well according to PFF the past couple years and are no stranger to getting after the QB. I'd love to add both in FA for the LEO and SAM spot on base downs and the DE spots in passing situations giving us some flexibility come draft day (still would like to see an EDGE player added early in the draft however) but I'd be very happy to at least bring one onboard. Giving ourselves some flexibility in the draft would allow us to go BPA throughout and just add play makers to either side of the ball which is what this team is lacking all around. We've shown the ability to hang in games, play with teams and even win some with the players we have now but outside of Kittle and Buckner there aren't any big time, difference makers or players capable of making momentum changing "wow" plays. We need to find those this draft, regardless of position. If that's an EDGE guy than sure when our pick is available than sure, take him even with FA signees. But I don't want to be pigeon-holed in the draft by need. I think we are all aware that not every player we sign in FA is going to be what we need or expect them to be so I'd like to see a FA added at a position of need and then a draft pick used their as well to increase our chances at finding an answer or solution to some of our on going issues such as WR, IOL, EDGE, LB, CB, FS. It's highly unlikely we fix or address all needs of this team this offseason, but I don't think it's out of the question to focus on 2, 3 or even 4 of our problem areas and make sure that we fix them. At the positions deemed "important" in our schemes both offensively and defensively I want us to make sure we find what we need, not do the bare minimum in finding that.

Side note, since Earl Thomas fixing our FS problem is far from a guarantee and I'm not that big on Joyner, I was looking for other available players and Adrian Amos is a guy I think is ready to take that next step for a defense. With the emergence of Eddie Jackson for the Bears I think Amos may be allowed to walk or see what he can get on the open market and if we miss out on ET the niners should be first in line to offer him a contract persuasive enough to bring him on. Has played well for the Bears since his rookie year and another guy who has graded well according to PFF. Sticking to my logic from the paragraph above, even if we bring on Amos I'd like to see us invest a pick on a play making safety in this years class as well since our safety play has plagued us for a couple years now. Nasir Adderley I've mentioned before but also Jaquan Johnson from Miami. Both players are all over the field, around the ball and creating turnovers. They both are slightly smaller prospects as well so possibly they drop a little from where their on-field production would lead you to believe their draft value is. Between Harris, Tartt and Colbert I would hope he have at least one starter amongst them at SS but that's yet to be seen so I'd like to see us dip into FA and the draft for help.

I feel like after Wilks gets canned from AZ, we should really consider replacing Hafley with Wilks. He made his career on coaching defensive backs, and only has one year as a DC, so its not guaranteed that he's just going to get a DC job somewhere after the season. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like after Wilks gets canned from AZ, we should really consider replacing Hafley with Wilks. He made his career on coaching defensive backs, and only has one year as a DC, so its not guaranteed that he's just going to get a DC job somewhere after the season. 

I agree. And if the defense goes south in 2019, he could be a good interim DC if needed. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Hafley has done a pretty good job so far. Seeing the growth in all the young guys we have thrown out there deserves a big compliment in my eyes.

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think Hafley has done a pretty good job so far. Seeing the growth in all the young guys we have thrown out there deserves a big compliment in my eyes.

?????

Colbert regressed pretty badly. I don't know that Spoon got worse (he's largely been up and down in his career), but he hasn't gotten better. Who's progressed? We have complained all season about the lack of progression on the defensive side of the football from our younger guys. While this has mostly been directed at Solly, it wasn't just him.

I'll take Wilks

Just now, Forge said:

?????

Colbert regressed pretty badly. I don't know that Spoon got worse (he's largely been up and down in his career), but he hasn't gotten better. Who's progressed? 

Nah, I'll take Wilks all day. 

The way Moore, Harris and Reed have looked the past few weeks plus the way Spoon played once he returned to the line-up. The whole defense was sloppy to start the year and Colbert and Spoon sure where a part of that but the way our defense has progressed over the year also has a lot to do with how our secondary is playing with guys that where bottom of the depth chart or PS to start the season. We have a lot of young guys on the back-end and those guys will have ups and downs.

With Colbert i wish he would have stayed healthy or at the very least would have been able to come back later in the year to see how he would look at this point. 

Archived