16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Just now, Pugger said:

Because...?

I'm not speaking for OP31, but one knock on college coaches is that they don't have the NFL connections to put together a good assistant coaching staff. That's why the only college coach I would consider is Shaw from Stanford. He has reasonable NFL background to put together a staff, maybe. 

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm not speaking for OP31, but one knock on college coaches is that they don't have the NFL connections to put together a good assistant coaching staff. That's why the only college coach I would consider is Shaw from Stanford. He has reasonable NFL background to put together a staff, maybe. 

How exactly do we know what kind of connections a college coach has in the NFL?

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Same, the track record of failure is too strong for college coaches in the NFL. That said,  if I were wrong and Fitz came here and tore it up it would be pretty great that a Chicago guy did it. He is a flamboyant bears fan though, that’s pretty hard to overlook.

My two biggest knocks on college coaches is they can pick pretty much whoever they want (most college to NFL coaches come from big time programs) in recruiting and they run spread, simple scheme's that don't relate to pro ball.

Fitzgerald has neither of these strikes.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Aim higher.  I like it.  Does it get higher than Gase, though?

It has been discussed at length, about the short comings of college coaches coming into the NFL.

Here a younger coach, with experience, who has worked well with quarterbacks.

GB "fixes" Rodgers and things turn around quickly.

To that extent, I think that McDaniels and Gase have the best chance at working with Rodgers.  Only one of those candidates isn't nuclear.

In your opinion, who is the "aim higher" coaching candidate?  Cuz I'm all ears.  

At the moment I like Toub. He could bring in Goodwin as coordinator that ran a solid offence with Palmer/Johnson/Fitzgerald  for 5 years at Arizona. Alternatively he could bring in Kafka who is Mahomes QB coach and resulted in a 5k and 50TD season. He has some options.

Gase whilst he sounds good on paper also feels like "settling" for the best out of all offensive head coach options rather than trying to get the best head coach possible, 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, but I think he'd react basically the same way if somebody say him down for a three hour meeting and ran all his negative plays for the year while calling him terrible.

But jay Cutler was/ is terrible. Rodgers isn’t. Now you’re just ripping McDaniels for being honest.

Just now, Pugger said:

Because...?

Because college coaches fail and they fail hard in the NFL.  There are a lot of reasons why they fail.  LOADS of reasons. 

17-21 year old kids playing for free to 22-35 year old professional players making millions and they cannot connect with those players. 

The NFL has been there, done that, and what thrives so well in college against lesser-minded head coaches is not going to fly against the 32 best available minds in football. 

Look at the list of successful college head coaches and it is a very, very, very, very short list. 

Carrol, Johnson and Switzer are the only three college head coaches to win a title and a Super Bowl, and Carrol doesn't count because he was the head coach for the Patriots before he went back to college, then back to the NFL. 

Nearly every single succesful college to NFL head coach had NFL experience before they were hired back into the NFL.  It's a different league.

Pat Fitzgerald has not held a SINGLE position in the NFL, and that is the recipe for a 3-12 disaster season. 

1 minute ago, gopackgo27 said:

How exactly do we know what kind of connections a college coach has in the NFL?

Don't know. I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable people on this site might know. Certainly that would be part of any interview process. Fitzgerald, for example, had better be able to convince Murphy and Gute that he has the NFL connections needed to attract good NFL assistants to GB. Bringing in an assistant staff of college coaches with little to no NFL experience might be problematic in that the players might not buy into them. Of course, it's all speculation. You can never know until the rubber hits the road.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, but I think he'd react basically the same way if somebody say him down for a three hour meeting and ran all his negative plays for the year while calling him terrible.

But, somebody does need to sit Rodgers down for 3 hours and get some answers as to why he is reluctant or gun shy to hit open receivers and take check-downs.  Somebody is going to have to tell him that his playground offensive stuff is over.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Because college coaches fail and they fail hard in the NFL.  There are a lot of reasons why they fail.  LOADS of reasons. 

17-21 year old kids playing for free to 22-35 year old professional players making millions and they cannot connect with those players. 

The NFL has been there, done that, and what thrives so well in college against lesser-minded head coaches is not going to fly against the 32 best available minds in football. 

Look at the list of successful college head coaches and it is a very, very, very, very short list. 

Carrol, Johnson and Switzer are the only three college head coaches to win a title and a Super Bowl, and Carrol doesn't count because he was the head coach for the Patriots before he went back to college, then back to the NFL. 

Nearly every single succesful college to NFL head coach had NFL experience before they were hired back into the NFL.  It's a different league.

Pat Fitzgerald has not held a SINGLE position in the NFL, and that is the recipe for a 3-12 disaster season. 

Has little to do with connection IMO and more to do with the fact that a guy like Saban or Reilly gets whoever he wants to plug into his scheme, a scheme that doesn't really translate to NFL ball. They enter just about every game within their conference with a competitive advantage.

Fitzgerald doesn't have that, if anything all the success he has comes with a competitive disadvantage.

Plus the FO personnel and scouts that go their every year absolutely love him, that's why he's a candidate in the first place, so it seems like he can lead men.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

What are the traits needed to be a successful HC versus the traits needed to be a successful OC/DC? The discussion on here seems to be evolving around someone who knows the X's and O's versus someone who knows how to mold a group of men into a team. What other traits come into play? 

I’m over simplifying it here but a HC needs delegation, accountability, conflict resolution, motivator, talent evaluator 

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

But, somebody does need to sit Rodgers down for 3 hours and get some answers as to why he is reluctant or gun shy to hit open receivers and take check-downs.  Somebody is going to have to tell him that his playground offensive stuff is over.

This is the single greatest need for the Packers 2018 offseason. 

Somebody has to Clockwork Orange Rodgers and put him in front of a screen that shows ONLY successful checkdown passes by Brady/Brees.  Then have subliminal Fight Club style inserts of him taking sacks on those plays when the checkdown was open for a first down or even a chance at a first down. 

Might be tough to get away with legally considering how strict the NFL is on practice time and communication during the offseason, but I'm not above a little kidnapping and torturous brainwashing. 

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

For those that are high on Gase, what is the attraction?

I don't see it.

I'll try.

Look at 2013.  37 year old Peyton Manning.  55 TDs.  5400 yards.  

2014.  38 year old Peyton Manning.  39 TDs.  4700 yards.

2015.  32 year old Jay Cuter.  21 TDs, 11 Int.  3600 yards.

Then he became head coach of Ryan Tannehill.  2nd, 3rd, 2nd in that division.  Went to the playoffs with Tannehill.    First year, Tannehill played 13 games.  3000 yards.  19td, 12 int.

For me?  I think Gase works well with quarterbacks.  I'd argue that Rodgers is more talented than Manning at this age.  Arm wise.  I think Gase would get Rodger's respect.

Gase has been a head coach, went 23-25 with Tannehill.  

He's been a head coach and he knows quarterbacks.  He should give you just about everything you would want out of McDaniels without the baggage that McDaniels would bring.

I thought that McDaniels would be the best of the not so good HC options...but Gase is better than that.

I'd end my argument for him as this....he has experience, he's been to the playoffs (as a HC) and he's gotten a lot out of his quarterbacks.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

What are the traits needed to be a successful HC versus the traits needed to be a successful OC/DC? The discussion on here seems to be evolving around someone who knows the X's and O's versus someone who knows how to mold a group of men into a team. What other traits come into play? 

If you bake the best damn cookies in the entire world, does that automatically mean you would be successful and should open up a business ?

Archived