16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Because college coaches fail and they fail hard in the NFL.  There are a lot of reasons why they fail.  LOADS of reasons. 

17-21 year old kids playing for free to 22-35 year old professional players making millions and they cannot connect with those players. 

The NFL has been there, done that, and what thrives so well in college against lesser-minded head coaches is not going to fly against the 32 best available minds in football. 

Look at the list of successful college head coaches and it is a very, very, very, very short list. 

Carrol, Johnson and Switzer are the only three college head coaches to win a title and a Super Bowl, and Carrol doesn't count because he was the head coach for the Patriots before he went back to college, then back to the NFL. 

Nearly every single succesful college to NFL head coach had NFL experience before they were hired back into the NFL.  It's a different league.

Pat Fitzgerald has not held a SINGLE position in the NFL, and that is the recipe for a 3-12 disaster season. 

With that in mind how would you feel about Shaw from Stanford. He coached in the NFL for about 7 years before going into college. He's smart , has an offensive background and successful leading the Stanford program..

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

But jay Cutler was/ is terrible. Rodgers isn’t. Now you’re just ripping McDaniels for being honest.

Cutler was what, a third year guy in Denver playing relatively well?

His new HC sat him down for a three hour meeting. He spent the first hour and a half talking about how great he (McDaniels) was. Then spent the next hour and a half ripping Cutler. 

What the hell kind of ignoramus, social retard does that?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Don't know. I am hoping some of the more knowledgeable people on this site might know. Certainly that would be part of any interview process. Fitzgerald, for example, had better be able to convince Murphy and Gute that he has the NFL connections needed to attract good NFL assistants to GB. Bringing in an assistant staff of college coaches with little to no NFL experience might be problematic in that the players might not buy into them. Of course, it's all speculation. You can never know until the rubber hits the road.

A lot of the connections between college coaches and the NFL is in the scouting.  The pro scouts like Gute visit these schools all the time to view prospects.  They end up forming relationships with the coaches, and in turn get a good sense about how that program is run.  Everyone that comes into contact with Pat Fitzgerald speaks highly about the guy.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Has little to do with connection IMO and more to do with the fact that a guy like Saban or Reilly gets whoever he wants to plug into his scheme, a scheme that doesn't really translate to NFL ball. They enter just about every game within their conference with a competitive advantage.

Fitzgerald doesn't have that, if anything all the success he has comes with a competitive disadvantage.

Plus the FO personnel and scouts that go their every year absolutely love him, that's why he's a candidate in the first place, so it seems like he can lead men.

I will believe your defense of Fitzgerald if you can point to a single solitary head coach who has had success in the NFL without ever coaching in the NFL.  If you can't find one single example, I'm going to need more than scouts liking him to convince me Fitzgerald is the one exception. 

I'm going to need an example of Fitzgerald having Professor X abilities or something. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Has little to do with connection IMO and more to do with the fact that a guy like Saban or Reilly gets whoever he wants to plug into his scheme, a scheme that doesn't really translate to NFL ball. They enter just about every game within their conference with a competitive advantage.

Fitzgerald doesn't have that, if anything all the success he has comes with a competitive disadvantage.

Plus the FO personnel and scouts that go their every year absolutely love him, that's why he's a candidate in the first place, so it seems like he can lead men.

Based on that, Paul Chryst would be a better candidate that Fitzgerald

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cutler was what, a third year guy in Denver playing relatively well?

His new HC sat him down for a three hour meeting. He spent the first hour and a half talking about how great he (McDaniels) was. Then spent the next hour and a half ripping Cutler. 

What the hell kind of ignoramus, social retard does that?

I know I know pick me pick me

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

At the moment I like Toub. He could bring in Goodwin as coordinator that ran a solid offence with Palmer/Johnson/Fitzgerald  for 5 years at Arizona. Alternatively he could bring in Kafka who is Mahomes QB coach and resulted in a 5k and 50TD season. He has some options.

Gase whilst he sounds good on paper also feels like "settling" for the best out of all offensive head coach options rather than trying to get the best head coach possible, 

I like your reasoning and will admit to knowing nothing, as in absolutely nothing about Toub.

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

But, somebody does need to sit Rodgers down for 3 hours and get some answers as to why he is reluctant or gun shy to hit open receivers and take check-downs.  Somebody is going to have to tell him that his playground offensive stuff is over.

Agreed

It just needs to be handled with some sense of professionalism. Not whatever the hell McDaniels was doing.

Just now, Chili said:

With that in mind how would you feel about Shaw from Stanford. He coached in the NFL for about 7 years before going into college. He's smart , has an offensive background and successful leading the Stanford program..

Better than Fitzgerald.

I honestly haven't been looking into coaches at all until just and I assumed Fitzgerald must have had SOME NFL experience.  None terrifies me, and I would be purely hateful of our front office if they hired Fitzgerald. 

I'd hire MM back if he swore he wouldn't touch the offense.  

I'm sure Cleveland is in a similar position.  Their OC has been fantastic.  Probably not ready to be a HC.  MM is great as a head coach, but his offense shouldn't go anywhere near Mayfield.  

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

Has he been successful?

That team has taken a noticeable step backwards since he got there

Archived