2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

Lots of positive news today. McCarthy is being very selective on who he interviews with. Him wanting to interview with the Jets confirms our belief that Darnold is the real deal. He knows his QB. Same with Kingsbury. I like the diversity of candidates that came out today. We got the vet in McCarthy and the seemingly mad scientist in Kinsbury. Add these two guys to Monken, Bieniemy, Richard and Caldwell and we have some good choices.

The only surprise for me is that we didn’t kick the tires on coaches from the Saints and Rams.

I'm hoping we get Mike Mcarthy. Proven HC who has a proven offensive background to mold Darnold. 

Yeah hes not this flashy new upcoming offensive mind, but hes a proven HC who has a winning record in the regular season and playoffs. Plus he has won the SB before. 

3 hours ago, KBS756 said:

Just ... surprised a guy who was an OC in college now after being fired as a college HC is being interviewed as an NFL HC

Failure is part of learning. There’s no flawless candidate out there. Guys are either 

-inexperienced

-failed at their previous spot

-other

With Kingsbury you look at the positives

His QB track record is probably better than anyone we could find. His offenses are explosive and make skill players who aren’t exactly elite talents play well. History with the organization is a plus as well. 

The keys will be can he build a staff, what’s his overall philosophy, is it something he can pull off in the pros, clock management, game planning, etc...those can all be great because a lot of what happens in college is recruiting based. 

Example, Urban Meyer is a better recruiter than Harbaugh but I think Harbaugh is a better coach, eventually talent wins out. If Kingsbury was at USC I bet he’s the hottest candidate out because he’d have the talent to win in all phases along with the explosive offense teams seem to be looking for. 

On 12/31/2018 at 2:38 PM, ekill08x said:

He also said new HC decision will be his. Until we get new owners it doesn’t matter who we bring here. The Johnson’s are the biggest problem this franchise has. 

Thing is though that is actually the right decision, not another Johnson brother bonehead mistake.  If this was Mac's first season we'd probably all be praising that move to finally have a hierarchy in place HC > GM > Ownership.

Problem is we all have seen Mac's decisions over the past 4 years and have little to no faith in him. 

35 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I read teams are interviewing KK to see if he can be a potential OC, and he probably won’t get a HC gig this time around 

Pretty sure he's a HC option for us not an OC.

Right now I'm interested in KK and Monken the most.  Feel like they are two bright offensive minds and if we brought in a strong DC to run the defense then it would work great.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

I read teams are interviewing KK to see if he can be a potential OC, and he probably won’t get a HC gig this time around 

He's interviewing for HC I believe for us. I think a HC job is the only way he makes a move to the NFL. Like I stated with him... since he has never coached in the NFL and is only offense minded. Brining him in I'd love. But who he'd have on the rest of the staff is bigger than any other candidates (especially DC). But I do feel he with adding a few weapons can make this offense go and make Darnold a franchise QB.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Pretty sure he's a HC option for us not an OC.

Right now I'm interested in KK and Monken the most.  Feel like they are two bright offensive minds and if we brought in a strong DC to run the defense then it would work great.

We're interviewing for HC, but its expected that there will be an interest in gauging his interest level in being an OC as well. That said, KK clearly has things up his sleeve. 

The Houston job was his to have but he turned it down. Hired by USC as OC in the midst of some disappointment in Clay Helton. While I'm not accusing him of trying to replace the current head coach, he must have been at least aware that he could potentially have the ability to be the head man for that ball club - or use it as a catapult into a more lucrative job - if he didn't receive an offer from an NFL club this cycle.

I think more than anyone, Kingsbury fits the "McVay model" and seems like a better fit in the modern NFL as a HC than in college, which requires more responsibilities politically and on the recruiting front. He already has experience as a HC and has run a program at a young age. His players loved him and his swagger (which apparently Jets players have taken notice). He's a proven and passionate developer of QBs and he'll come in and create a high-powered offense focused on getting the most out of the QB. There are a lot of people in the organization he's familiar with, and It's entirely possible that he could retain Jeremy Bates as OC/QB coach but his role would definitely change (it would be Kliff's scheme and play-calling). The primary hire would then be the DC, who would almost certainly have to be a STRONG candidate, and Kingsbury would likely have to give that coach full control over the defense and the coaching hires. 

The other aspect of hiring Kingsbury is that you're realizing it may take him some time to adjust to NFL coaching. You're investing and projecting that he can be a 10+ year coach for the team and aligning his career with Darnold's. I like the idea of that better than an older coach who could look to walk away after a few years.  

Unless something unforeseen, I do expect it to be one of Kingsbury or McCarthy as the next HC. It's McCarthy's job to lose, but after him it seems like Kingsbury kind of fits the vision of coach CJ is looking for, and I know he's someone that our front office likes.  Kingsbury seems like a sexier name and a more progressive pick, but McCarthy is a much safer bet. For an organization that has been so inconsistent as ours has been, he has the potential to have an Andy Reid resurgence and have a tremendous impact on the organization to instill a winning culture. One thing to keep in mind when it comes to the Jets/Packers: coaching salaries are almost never reported, but one thing I know for sure: the Jets are known to be more willing to pay their assistants higher salaries than average, and GB is likely less than average (although, admittedly I am not sure). He should be able to assemble an excellent staff fairly easily. 

Archived