So I want to Move...

3 hours ago, Dome said:

I'm sure ASU is a wild time, but I can't say a state is not boring and terrible because it has one super fun college. 

that was just me taking a jab at asu lol

3 hours ago, Dome said:

other than fishing which would be my #1 hobby, (Yes you can fish in AZ, it's not the same)

where do you live, Alaska? Lake Havasu, Roosevelt Lake, etc are pretty great places to go fishing.

3 hours ago, Dome said:

It's boring/terrible because of the people there and all of Arizona's "culture

says the guy who married a person from AZ. I'm getting Trumpian vibes from this sentence here.

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

where do you live, Alaska? Lake Havasu, Roosevelt Lake, etc are pretty great places to go fishing.

Washington. I take my FIL fishing up here and all he does is talk about how much he’d like to move up here for the fishing. Like I said, there are places you can fish in AZ, but it’s not the same. 

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

says the guy who married a person from AZ. I'm getting Trumpian vibes from this sentence here.

Technically it’s like taking in a refugee coming from that terrible place. They should get me a medal.

its terrible there. I’ve seen enough of it. 

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This seems like a common sentiment amongst Floridians, why the hate for south Florida? (No need to explain the hate for the panhandle lol)

I like Miami a lot and I think the Keys are fantastic.

Miami is great for a week at a time, look the people are beautiful and the beaches are nice (if overrated, the ones in the nature coast are better), if you like Hispanic culture (I do, being a native Floridian) that's a plus.

However, there are places that are just so dominated by Spanish it becomes tiresome, on a related note the drivers are terrible to the point of being dangerous. The cost of living is the worst in the state, they have breed-specific dog legislature in the biggest county, it's not really a university town, there's a kind of an asshat culture that permeates into the nightlife. The everglades are neat but the state parks / springs in the rest of the state are superior because you can actually camp and immerse yourself.

I want to move somewhere that has an up and coming city nearby. I’m a suburbs person so i wouldn’t live directly in the city. Also if i move i don’t want frigid cold and snow. I honestly like the city of Buffalo itself (I’m in Rochester) but I’ve always like North Carolina, specifically Raleigh, as well as Seattle and Portland. Love all three areas. I just don’t know if i could pack up everything and move that far away. My fiancé and i are renting right now because we don’t know if this is where we want to start our family.  It’s hard because moving that far away and wanting to have kids means having to find and trust a babysitter and I know how big of an obstacle that will eventually be. So we could either have kids in my current home town and have our families help until they are old enough to stay home alone for a bit or just move directly after the wedding and get settled in somewhere else and then move back if we 100% have to.

6 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Plus. For California. Construction work salaries are less now than 20 years ago. Though COL has gone through the roof.

Nope, Colorado is full. 

But in all seriousness look at some places around Colorado's front range. There are still some affordable pockets of Denver that are up-and-coming West of the city, or, up North near Fort Collins. Colorado Springs is also beautiful but can be a sort of culture shock for some. It's got the perfect climate and all 4 seasons, winters are mild compared to NY, and there's a lot to do.

47 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Nope, Colorado is full. 

But in all seriousness look at some places around Colorado's front range. There are still some affordable pockets of Denver that are up-and-coming West of the city, or, up North near Fort Collins. Colorado Springs is also beautiful but can be a sort of culture shock for some. It's got the perfect climate and all 4 seasons, winters are mild compared to NY, and there's a lot to do.

I was in Denver a few months back - while there, I thought that I'd move out there for a half year if my company needed me there, amazing place.

Just now, ET80 said:

I was in Denver a few months back - while there, I thought that I'd move out there for a half year if my company needed me there, amazing place.

It has one of the best economy's in the country, and a lot of companies are moving their headquarters there due to ample access to top talent, and a decent tax rate (this will change though- Thanks Californians!). When I drive into Denver from Boulder for work I always count the amount of cranes due to the growth over the past 10 years. 

Denver is nice- but it isn't without problems that plague every other metropolitan area you'd want to live in. It's getting expensive, there is still rampant homelessness and it's only gotten worse as we've passed more lenient policies around them, and traffic can be a nightmare due to an old infrastructure that can't handle the growth and population boom. 

Growing up in Boulder (and still living here) I always talk about wanting to move somewhere, but every time I go somewhere I think the same thing: "this is nice, but it isn't as nice as home". 

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

@BullsandBroncos, I've lived in both Texas and Florida. I'd recommend either. Also, the idea that Florida is full of old people is kind of nuts. If your girl has a fear of old people, just stay away from The Villages, and you'll be fine. If you're a big beach and fishing guy, Florida is definitely superior.

Middle Florida is the worst. Gainesville and all the trailer parks.

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I like the gulf side where Sarasota is. Beautiful beaches!

I'm not a huge Sarasota/Bradenton guy. If I were moving back (without family considerations), I'd probably lean towards St. Pete. Miami is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Archived