GDT Steelers vs Raiduhs

JLambert58

36 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

That's because he's an H-Back not a RB. As you pointed out he's has NO burst. However, he has nice hands and once in the open field he has some wiggle. If anyone thought he could run the ball out of the backfield they just got a cold dose of reality. IF used properly he has a niche. 

I'm not going to write the guy off as a runner over this mess (both Conner and Bell were nowhere near the guys they are now as rookies), but this statement shouldn't exactly stun anyone. Samuel's made the plays he was drafted to make. 7 catches on 7 targets for 64 yards. But people are faulting him because he was thrust into a role he wasn't ready for, almost half of which came with Dobbs as the QB?

13 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm not going to write the guy off as a runner over this mess (both Conner and Bell were nowhere near the guys they are now as rookies), but this statement shouldn't exactly stun anyone. Samuel's made the plays he was drafted to make. 7 catches on 7 targets for 64 yards. But people are faulting him because he was thrust into a role he wasn't ready for, almost half of which came with Dobbs as the QB?

Agree for the most part but I doubt he will ever be a multiple carry RB. There just isn't any burst. It takes a while for him to pick up steam. But as you suggested, he wasn't drafted for that. 

46 minutes ago, August4th said:

“Coach was kind of saying, ‘Let’s wait,’ ” Roethlisberger said. “He didn’t want me to go back in. He wanted to see what was going to happen. Then, he kind of gave me a look like, ‘OK, let’s go.’

He never should have been off the field.

Does anyone remember 2005? Tommy Maddox? His crying after the Jacksonville game that angry fans threw trash on his lawn?

That needs to happen to Mike Tomlin. Seriously, how much does this guy get paid to screw up in the same ways over and over again? All the while coming up with new and innovative ways to screw his team out of wins.

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Does anyone remember 2005? Tommy Maddox? His crying after the Jacksonville game that angry fans threw trash on his lawn?

That needs to happen to Mike Tomlin. Seriously, how much does this guy get paid to screw up in the same ways over and over again? All the while coming up with new and innovative ways to screw his team out of wins.

some of this is on him, I'm not sold on him , never have been. Problem is colbert hasn't allowed Tomlin much help on D, but loaded offence has never been able to bail the team out or win shootouts. 

This team has been dragging on and will keep doing so. They are a playoff contender version of the bungles, we make the playoffs but easily fail early or never beat the team(s) that have always owned us. Even that jags game, we should have lost that because 3+ quarters we were really bad and then on the winning play, ben wanted to be the hero, but they should have ran Connor anyways that play of the ones earlier. 

anyone else at the brink of not watching for a few years until the major changes finally happen? I have had enough of Ben and his offence, colbert and his defence, tomlin and his coaching  etc. In 2020 I expect it to happen, I can see them wasting another year, another year AB has wasted in his career as well as others.  I don't expect another Malone era or Kordel QB era, UFA won't allow that.  There is a core in place, but the rest needs to be corrected, until then we are a playoff bungles type team

1 hour ago, August4th said:

just don't get how ben and mike felt comfortable relying on a Dobbs led offense(without conner) and our defense who has been blowing leads all yr

After Bens comments today I’m even more convinced Ben just didn’t want to go back in and Tomlin is covering for him. 

47 minutes ago, warfelg said:

After Bens comments today I’m even more convinced Ben just didn’t want to go back in and Tomlin is covering for him. 

This would be extremely disheartening from the dude who loves to tell you he is the leader. 

We really need the media to do a better job tomorrow at the press conference than the did last week. I understand we probably get canned answers, but they need to press the buttons and not just accept Tomlins opening monologue as gospel. 

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think Mike should worry more about covering for his own stupidity at the end of the game.

Do you want to brag some more about how Mike Tomlin took over the defense from Butler? Or now that we've seen it cough up leads in three straight losses, is it all Butler's fault again?

33 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I think Mike should worry more about covering for his own stupidity at the end of the game.

Do you want to brag some more about how Mike Tomlin took over the defense from Butler? Or now that we've seen it cough up leads in three straight losses, is it all Butler's fault again?

1) Thanks for the trolling.

2) Your comment has nothing to do with mine.  We shouldn't have been in that place if Ben was able to play.

3) Point totals given up since Mike Tomlin has had a larger input:

26, 17, 21, 18, 16, 21, 16, 24, 33, 24

19.6 points per game.  That's UNDER the NFL average.

4) Since the Carolina game, the report date for Bell, this offense has scored:

20, 17, 30, 21

If I told you any team had a defense holding teams to a 19.6 points per game, even with a last 4 of 24 PPG, with this offense, you would expect that to be a 4-0 stretch.

Averaging 381.5 yards per game vs giving up 319 yards per game.

I mean any way you break it down during this 1-3 stretch, every statistic except turnovers and takeaways support that we should be winning.  The failure comes back to the old issues that have been there in the past, and we thought we were past with Conner.  It's scoring in the redzone.  

But for some reason people want to keep pointing to the defense.

No this isn't saying the defense is fine because that's the point that will be twisted out of this.

What this is, is an indictment of the offense and how horrible Ben has been in these games since we've known Bell won't return and the Carolina explosion of offense (which is looking like it wasn't that good of a win).  It's like I called the minute Bell couldn't come back to the team....they just stopped caring about running the ball because they had no one to show up.  They started flinging it when Ben has been very careless.  And our defense has been one of the highest of TOP against in the second half; and as the game goes on or defense is on the field longer, and when they are you can see the yards per play go up.  Meanwhile our offense has been dropping in TOP and Yards per Play in the second half of games.

This all supports that our defense has been playing average to start the game, the offense has been sucking in the second half, and the defense has gotten worn down.

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It's scoring in the redzone.  

Man, I was in on everything until here. We are the number 1 redzone team in the league at 77.5% TDs. The last 3 games we are at 77.78%.

The greater issue is lack of redzone attempts (3.0 attempts per game, 17th in the league) which is where our turnovers and awful gameflow/playcalling have come in. In 2017 we were 3rd in the league, but ranked 18th in the league in scoring in the redzone. We just are not getting in range at a high enough clip. 

Agree with everything else, specifically time of possession. We were 4th in the NFL last year and Haleys demand to run the football at times was a reason we owned the clock. We currently rank 18th in the league in TOP and thats awful for a team that has the lead late in games like we have. We have a defense that is on the field entirely too much in the second half of games. It really seems like Fitcher runs out of plays. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Man, I was in on everything until here. We are the number 1 redzone team in the league at 77.5% TDs. The last 3 games we are at 77.78%.

The greater issue is lack of redzone attempts (3.0 attempts per game, 17th in the league) which is where our turnovers and awful gameflow/playcalling have come in. In 2017 we were 3rd in the league, but ranked 18th in the league in scoring in the redzone. We just are not getting in range at a high enough clip. 

Agree with everything else, specifically time of possession. We were 4th in the NFL last year and Haleys demand to run the football at times was a reason we owned the clock. We currently rank 18th in the league in TOP and thats awful for a team that has the lead late in games like we have. We have a defense that is on the field entirely too much in the second half of games. It really seems like Fitcher runs out of plays. 

True, I tend to put the 40-20 area as part of it.  Many coaches (including myself) call it the 'maroon zone' where we expect some form of points.

Even through I'm a defensive coach most offensive coaches will tell you what their playcalling looks like:

1-40 own side of the field: Conservative.  Move the ball.  Safe plays meant to get 1st downs.

Own 40 - Opponent 40:  High risk area.  This is where you call your deep shot plays, trick plays, and 7-9 step drops.

40-20: Conservative again.  Worst case you try to stay here to preserve the FG attempts.  This is where Ben is turning the ball over at a high rate.

20-Goal: This is where you have to work quite a few calculated risks.

55 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I mean any way you break it down during this 1-3 stretch, every statistic except turnovers and takeaways support that we should be winning.  The failure comes back to the old issues that have been there in the past, and we thought we were past with Conner.  It's scoring in the redzone.  

we score din the RZ with just over 2 minutes left. 

Then the raiders went all the way down the field, and scored - a TD on a passing play of course.

Blame with field or boswell, but it shouldn't boil down to that.  In the end, once again the D failed when it mattered. Carr threw a perfect pass and edmunds had great coverage, but this game should never have been this close.  AB was ignored, and was irate at the end of the game on the sideline

35 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

It really seems like Fitcher runs out of plays.

he should run more in the RZ, ben was lucky he never got a pick 6 on that carol special when JuJU got the TD in traffic

If this team plays the pats like this, it will be dreadful. Maybe this loss will wake them up, but the pats too had a bad loss. 

Archived