Free Agents

Lil' Shorty

27 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

He does make a point in the thread, you don t hire a 66 yr old HC, if you re not all in right now.

The rumors would fly and be warranted, but with that much of a cap hit to a RB, we need OL, DL, DB, possibly sign a QB to a big contract. I’d much prefer a Mark Ingram at a way cheaper deal.

28 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

Our first two picks should start and maybe our first three so cross at least two of OL, DL, DB off the needs list. I like Ingram but he is a better version of Barber. Same back not sure it would be that much of an upgrade.

I’m cool with going a different direction that Ingram, but $15M+ or whatever for Bell is just dumb.

We had the 3rd best statistical offense this season and with our fantastic defense won 5 games. Cut the dead weight that doesn’t create dead cap and go after the CJ Mosley’s, Clowney’s, Landon Collins’ etc out there. Defense holds teams to 20 and we are looking at playoffs next season. Control the LOS and build the defense.

I'm not saying I want Bell all that much, but I mean, we can get the cap room for Bell pretty easily by just losing Jackson and McCoy. That's $23 million right there. Then add in guys likely on the chopping block like Curry, Unrein one of Gholston/Allen, possibly Brate etc. and it becomes less of a squeeze. 

The Bell situation is fascinating.  A borderline MVP of the league, who will be 27 when the season starts.  This is very simplistic, but why Ian t worth being on the hook for Bell at 15 million per year for 2 years?  If he plays well, certainly they will keep him longer.  I don t want to beat the D Smith debate much more.  However, Smith s franchise number I believe will be around 14 million next season.  So even if he improves, what is his ceiling?  Borderline, All Pro. So to sign him long term is going to cost over 16 million per year.  So 2 years of Bell or 3 yrs of Smith.  I know this is very simplistic, not apple to oranges.  I just don t buy the debate pay Smith because who is better.  Donald Penn doesn't have a career until Pettitgout gets hurt.  A coaching staff that just got fired and we all agree was justified, I can t just take their opinion that D Smith is the best option at LT and now he needs to be franchised.  Don t know what happens, but not going after Bell because the team needs cap room to sign Smith is a tough decision.

8 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I’m cool with going a different direction that Ingram, but $15M+ or whatever for Bell is just dumb.

We had the 3rd best statistical offense this season and with our fantastic defense won 5 games. Cut the dead weight that doesn’t create dead cap and go after the CJ Mosley’s, Clowney’s, Landon Collins’ etc out there. Defense holds teams to 20 and we are looking at playoffs next season. Control the LOS and build the defense.

Agreed. 

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Clooney should be a target regardless of whether we run 3-4 or 4-3. He's a fit in either...

Coming out, most thought he'd be better as a true 4-3 DE...

Cut McCoy and pay Clowney his contract. Clowney and JPP would be nasty. I doubt we are in the sweepstakes for him but damn id love to see it. 

50 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Would Donovan Smith be able to move inside to LG? I know a lot of people were projecting him there during the Draft.

Yeah. He would probably be a better player inside. Might be Roger Saffold like at G but his effort sucks and the desire to finish plays lacks. 

Archived