Dak Prescott should take 18-21 million per year, not 28 million.

Kiwibrown

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

Sorry but silly threads deserve silly responses.

The only QB to actively leave money on the table happens to be married to a supermodel with a net worth of $400 million. 

There is absolutely no way and no reason for players not to maximize their worth. Especially for something as silly as "well I guess I'm not quite as good as the absolute elites so I should take less..."

Are you sure you are right?

most of the teams with mega bucks QBs suck. 

Teams win superbowls not QBs

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

Are you sure you are right?

most of the teams with mega bucks QBs suck. 

Teams win superbowls not QBs

Yes I'm sure. I agree with you, it's a team effort.

Which is why its retarded to think that by saving Dallas $7-10 million, that they:

1. Spend that money anyway on a FA,

2. Actually bring in someone worthwhile at that price range,

3. That said player ends up being the difference between the team winning a Super Bowl or not

Every player will say they want to win ships for the franchise. But when it comes to contracts, they know they are setting up their family for life, and have a limited window of opportunity to do so. To claim he should take less because he recognizes he's not as good as the top elites is frankly one of the most laughable things I've read in NFL Gen.

16 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

But when it comes to contracts, they know they are setting up their family for life, and have a limited window of opportunity to do so

I don't disagree, but I do think we're reaching a new normal (mostly thanks to Brady) in that the next generation of elite QBs WILL be judged on how much they leave on the table to help field a complete team. 

It's not like the only source of revenue for these guys is their contracts - there is significant endorsement money to be had, post playing careers in the booth, etc. The top tier guys? They're gonna get their "Discount Double Check" money and that branding only grows when they are able to flash SB rings. 

I know it's a counter-intuitive view, but that's how I'm reading the tea leafs.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Certainly worked for Brady to not demand top dollar. 

Brady uncoincidentally wouldnt make the most money in his own family even IF HE DID take top dollar that the market has to offer. Brady wasn't going to be the breadwinner of that family regardless, so I don't think he cares quite as much. 

I'm pretty sure Dak doesn't have that same luxury. 

Let's say he does take less money. The Cowboys at the absolute best would only become marginally better with an extra 7-10M of cap space. 

22 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

When you play a sport where one play can end your career, you take as much as you can while you can. It's not a selfish move - it's the responsible one.

Not only that, but he should take as much money as he can for getting his body beat to **** for years.  There's a reason Arian Foster said if he could have done it over again, he wouldn't have played football. 

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:
42 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

But when it comes to contracts, they know they are setting up their family for life, and have a limited window of opportunity to do so

I don't disagree, but I do think we're reaching a new normal (mostly thanks to Brady) in that the next generation of elite QBs WILL be judged on how much they leave on the table to help field a complete team. 

It's not like the only source of revenue for these guys is their contracts - there is significant endorsement money to be had, post playing careers in the booth, etc. The top tier guys? They're gonna get their "Discount Double Check" money and that branding only grows when they are able to flash SB rings. 

I know it's a counter-intuitive view, but that's how I'm reading the tea leafs.

The counter argument to that view perspective is, how many of those guys were leaving money on the table before they won a Super Bowl, and had an opportunity to cash in (or cut some savings) on their next contract?

A lot easier to Discount Double Check when you already have a ring. Otherwise, it's the Bradford all the way.

Let's be clear about the impact here. You are asking a QB to take a 33% pay cut so that his team has the cap space to give him a player who costs the same as Donte Moncrief did last offseason (10M cap hit). If the cap goes up, as expected, move further down the free agent rankings.

The odds of that cap space making a championship level difference vs the 100% likelihood of losing 10M a year for 5 years makes this a ridiculous ask for a player.

Archived