Which 25 year old or younger QB are you taking? Then rank your top 5

brownie man

Which QB are you taking?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which 25 or under QB are you taking to build your franchise? Not named Mahomes

• Carson Wentz
    • Jared Goff
    • Baker Mayfield
    • Josh Allen
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold
    • Mitch Trubisky
    • Dak Prescott
    • Deshaun Watson
    • Jameis Winston

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd say it was close, last season considered. Maybe not the front runner, but he was on pace for 43 TDs and was at the helm of the top scoring offense in the league prior to his injury. That same offense dropped to 17 once Watson was hurt. 

Carson Wentz would have probably won if he was healthy, and Brady would probably get votes as well, but Watson would have been in the conversation - saying otherwise isn't reflective of what he did last season.

Anyways, I watched him play and I don't think his play was MVP-caliber or even close but sure his stats were very good.

I don't think he was much better last year than this year.

I remember his PFF rating for the season was nothing special at all either.

I know some people dismiss PFF but yeah.

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I’ll rank them all. Who I want going forward and what I think their ceiling is. Lately the consensus has been that QBs 1-3 are in tier 1, 4-8 in tier 2, then 9-15 tier 3. Basically translates to elite, very good, franchise QB.

1. Mahones (tier 1)

2. Wentz (tier 1)

3. Goff (tier 1)

4. Watson (tier 2)

5. Baker (tier 1)

6. Darnold (tier 1)

7. Mitch (tier 2)

8. Dak (tier 3)

9. Allen (tier 2)

10. Mariota (tier 2)

11. Rosen (tier 2)

12. Jackson (tier 3)

13. Winston (tier 3)

Obviously applying ceilings pretty liberally. 

I mean I wouldn’t actually take Mahomes over Wentz, love the kid and what I’ve seen from him, think he can be the very best in the NFL and will absolutely die on that hill. I’m hoping he just hasn’t been 100% this year, and will make major strides with a healthy offseason.... but cannot really justify putting a guy on pace to threaten passing TD record anywhere but 1. Sole knock against Pat would be sample size, but then I can’t really rank any of the rookie QBs either.

Watson tier 2 ceiling but Darnold tier 1? I don't get it.

19 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

Anyways, I watched him play and I don't think his play was MVP-caliber or even close but sure his stats were very good.

As I said earlier, it seems as if you watched A game. If you watched the Seattle or New England game - games where he went blow for blow against Brady and Wilson you wouldn't be saying this. If you watched his performance against Tennessee (when the Texans O put up 57 points) you wouldn't be saying this. 

I remember his PFF rating for the season was nothing special at all either.

I'm not saying he didn't have bad moments - what QB doesn't? 

I don't think he was much better last year than this year.

He was better last season - remember, he's a year removed from an ACL injury. That alone will dictate a regression, and if you've watched every snap he's taken (like I have) you'll see regression. 

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Hi. :)

(I voted Watson, but I'll be serious on the top 5).

1. Mahomes

2. Watson

3. Goff

4. Mayfield

5. Wentz

I could listen to Trubisky somewhere here, but Darnold? Rosen? Allen? Jackson? Mariota? Winston? No way.

But would Allen be in your top 5 running backs 23 and younger? 

1. Mahomes - obviously a little unfair given the current season, but it's so good it's almost impossible not to put him here. 

2. Goff - Goff has a couple of built in advantages over the other guys which is why he gets the nod here. He's been healthy for one, with Wentz already having one major injury, hurting again this year, this matters. 2, he still has McVay. Neither one of these guys is going anywhere soon, so Goff is going to continue to do what he is doing. Whether that's fair or not when you compare him to guys that are on awful teams with awful coaches and strategies is largely irrelevant. 

3. Wentz. The injuries worry me a bit. 

4. Watson - they've got to protect him first and foremost. He's been very efficient this year, but I do think that they are missing something without Fuller in the lineup. I haven't loved the passing game since he went down, but its still fine. But given that he's never known anywhere near the pass protection that some of these guys have had, and he's still done what he's done, that's pretty impressive. 

5. This one is tough. I haven't been overly as impressed with Mayfield as some. He's been solid for a rookie, I'll give him that, but I'm not falling all over myself for him. Trubisky has way too much Bortles in him right now for me to feel comfortable with. I've never been on Mariota, and Winston is going to continue to throw far too many interceptions for my liking. Allen / Rosen / Darnold it's almost unfair to gauge at this point in time. Allen will always flash some greatness, but his consistency may never be there. I mean, if he gets a little better (he's working with possibly the worst offensive set up in football which alone could make him seem better), can he be something comparable to Kaepernick? That's a pretty effective quarterback, if not a great one (I struggle to use Cam as the comp there just because Cam is a mutant and I think Allen's running would profile a little closer to Kaep, but the premise is still the same honestly as an inconsistent thrower of the football who gets a lot of value from his legs) and may be worth the #5 spot. Rosen hasn't looked impressive, but like Allen, he's dealing with a bad offensive set up. While he has superior playmakers than Allen, having McCoy as your OC is brutal to start with, no offensive line, and the coaching after McCoy's firing hasn't exactly been amazing. Darnold is showing some crazy warts, but again, what is he working with from an offensive playmaker and coaching standpoint? I don't want to completely discount Dak, who seems to have a fairly stable floor but may be categorized largely game manager type who won't win you games on his own. But he's not bad. Some of these guys are likely going to have worse careers than Dak. 

I think right now I'll lean Mayfield, but it's not by a considerable margin. 

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

I haven't been overly as impressed with Mayfield as some. He's been solid for a rookie, I'll give him that, but I'm not falling all over myself for him.

You should watch some games, or even one of those every throw highlights on youtube. It's ridiculous the throws he makes, his accuracy is unrealistically high and he has elite or close to it arm strength. Guys get breaks for having bad systems while Baker had a bad system the first 6 weeks of this season and he still put up mid 80 ratings. The rest of the rookies are in the 60s besides Lamar Jackson who is just under 80.

Right now, I can understand going with Mahomes, Watson, Goff or Wentz ahead of Baker but if the decision is hard for you after that then you haven't watched much of Baker or you just dislike him or like one of the other QBs because of something other than how they play football.

26 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You should watch some games, or even one of those every throw highlights on youtube. It's ridiculous the throws he makes, his accuracy is unrealistically high and he has elite or close to it arm strength. Guys get breaks for having bad systems while Baker had a bad system the first 6 weeks of this season and he still put up mid 80 ratings. The rest of the rookies are in the 60s besides Lamar Jackson who is just under 80.

Right now, I can understand going with Mahomes, Watson, Goff or Wentz ahead of Baker but if the decision is hard for you after that then you haven't watched much of Baker or you just dislike him or like one of the other QBs because of something other than how they play football.

He's fine. He's played well overall. I have no complaints. Just not ready to say he's on a hall of fame trajectory if he doesn't improve at all. Not everyone has to be in love with him right from the off. I'm not completely in love with him the same way I'm not in love with any of the others. He's played better than the others overall, thus he got the #5 spot, but it's by far the one I had the most question about given that so much of the data surrounding him and the other three rookies is so incomplete at the current point in time. Trying to eval a couple of those guys  may be akin to trying to eval Goff under Fisher. It's pretty bad. So yeah, Baker gets spot 5, but wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't end up as the best rookie out of that class, despite having the superior rookie season. 

Sometimes, a person can just want to see more. They don't have to have some personal bias in the matter. Baker is fine. I look forward to seeing if he continues to get better. 

I’m not basing it off recency bias. My list is who I think will end up having the best career

1. Goff

2. Wentz (if he stays healthy and I don’t know if he’s over 25) 

3. Mayfield 

4. Mahomes (hes having a great year but I still want to see him for one more year)

5. Darnold 

28 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I’m not basing it off recency bias. My list is who I think will end up having the best career

1. Goff

2. Wentz (if he stays healthy and I don’t know if he’s over 25) 

3. Mayfield 

4. Mahomes (hes having a great year but I still want to see him for one more year)

5. Darnold 

Mahomes is going to win MVP in his first year as starter and you need to see more? Okay.

21 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Mahomes is going to win MVP in his first year as starter and you need to see more? Okay.

Yes because Matt Stafford in 2011 had a 41 TD 16 int and 5000+ yards year with less overall talent than the Chiefs, even with Calvin Johnson

Archived