Das Gute - Year 1 in Review

Shanedorf

23 hours ago, coachbuns said:

That's a stretch to say he's in Reggie Whites category and Gutes 1st year is judged only on not getting Mack.   Its obvious Mack would have helped.  However, it would have taken 3 1st rounds picks plus paying him almost $25 million a year for years to get him.  I would have loved to have him on our team but that cost would have been crippling.  You don't know what Macks future will be.  Let's see how the Bears do in a year or two when they have to pay their QB and others plus have no 1st rounds picks.  Mack makes their team better no doubt but in the end it will cost them big time.

Yes, if the Bears were paying their QB any where near what we are paying AR there is no way they make that trade.

15 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I blame McCarthy and staff more than anybody on those moves and part of why he's down the road.  Put Randall in the right position to begin with.  There were a number of players drafted by Ted that ended up being a square peg in a round hole position wise.  Kizer, he's a crap shoot.  Nelson over Cobb again was more coaching decisions ... and I think it was the wrong move.  

Yes, Randall is producing now because he is playing safety and not corner.

13 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Hire him for the draft lead up like the Browns did last year. When he does decide to get back to working for a team, I hope its for the Packers. Gute tried to coax McCloughan to join him in Green Bay soon after he was hired.

I'd be in favor of that. Gotta wonder what that dollar number is so that all of his info is exclusive to one team, such as the Browns or Packers. Probably a little easier to mix up a mid morning Manhattan working out of your basement though. Yeah bad joke. I hope his demons are behind him.

17 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I blame McCarthy and staff more than anybody on those moves and part of why he's down the road.  Put Randall in the right position to begin with.  There were a number of players drafted by Ted that ended up being a square peg in a round hole position wise.  Kizer, he's a crap shoot.  Nelson over Cobb again was more coaching decisions ... and I think it was the wrong move.  

If theres a mistake to be laid at someone's feet - its TT's for drafting him for intended (and immediate) filling in at our most pressing defensive need: CB.

Randall was what he is - a Safety. Mutiple football "experts" (read: Coaches, Scouts etc) recognized that about him BEFORE his time in GB and after.

We were stocked up at Safety and a move to that position wasnt necessary or purposeful for the defense. The need wasnt there. Our need was to keep the Gunters and alike from playing meaningful minutes at CB.

Now - if Randall hadnt proven himself to be such a D-bag - him moving to Safety (ala Tramon) would have been possible (and IMO given his CB play - which I considered uneven at best - probably likely) when the position opened up and the less immediate need was filled.

A HCs gotta deal the deck he's handed.

DR wasnt a disaster at CB. Not saying that - but clearly it was never his position of strength - and clearly someone well versed in boundary CB skills was exactly what this team needed when he was (mis)drafted (IMO).

1 hour ago, Leader said:

If theres a mistake to be laid at someone's feet - its TT's for drafting him for intended (and immediate) filling in at our most pressing defensive need: CB.

Randall was what he is - a Safety. Mutiple football "experts" (read: Coaches, Scouts etc) recognized that about him BEFORE his time in GB and after.

We were stocked up at Safety and a move to that position wasnt necessary or purposeful for the defense. The need wasnt there. Our need was to keep the Gunters and alike from playing meaningful minutes at CB.

Now - if Randall hadnt proven himself to be such a D-bag - him moving to Safety (ala Tramon) would have been possible (and IMO given his CB play - which I considered uneven at best - probably likely) when the position opened up and the less immediate need was filled.

DR wasnt a disaster at CB. Not saying that - but clearly it was never his position of strength - and clearly someone well versed in boundary CB skills was exactly what this team needed when he was (mis)drafted (IMO).

agree

Tough to grade Gute without comparing him with TT last years, but we should try.  We don't really know what was happening behind closed doors when TT was running things because he never talked about it. So all the assumptions about what was going on are somewhat baseless. TT, for better or worse, left an overall positive legacy that was quite successful.

Now Gute…..he brought a freshness and openness that was quite a change.  We had a GM who would come out and answer questions about moves.  He seems to be active in Free Agency.  He's made midseason trades. He's made draft day trades.  He's acquired an extra 1st round pick.  All of these things may or may not work out, but at least he is doing them.  Whether they end up working to better the talent and strengthen the roster? We'll see.  I would give Gute a 'B' grade because we wanted all these things in our new GM and he's done most.  We'll see later if Gute knows talent, but he's left me feeling optimistic. 

I certainly agree it would have been difficult to sign Mack.  I understand all the monetary and draft pick expense.

However, other teams frequently seem to make the gamble and make it work.  It's spilt milk now.

I hope Gute is a good drafter, and that he proves Mack was not worth the investment.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:30 AM, Leader said:

At some point you have to ask though, what's more valuable, an average slot CB or an above average safety? 

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

At some point you have to ask though, what's more valuable, an average slot CB or an above average safety? 

Sorry...what? You're gonna have to put more meat on that bone for me to know where your thougts are headed.

I think of Gute as maximizing opportunities. He won't sit out any chance to get a player that will help this team, but he also won't let the team become stagnant and is looking to the future. We were always going to be behind the eight ball this year. We failed on three years of drafting, where we were not only finding starters but bombing out on depth too. That kills a draft and develop team. Gute threw some band aids on, and made some moves that will play dividends into the future too. The bottom line is this team is still going to be D&D. I like how he set himself up for this years draft and I think we will know a lot more about our window coming opening day season 2 of the gutenator. I hope he can reign it in to a mini re-tool, but we will have to wait and see.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:19 PM, coachbuns said:

My thinking, and I don't agree with it is they thought they could get rid of a head case and also add a back up QB they liked without having to use draft capital. So basically they had decided Randall was done, and Hundley was done, and didn't want to use a draft pick. I don't really like it too much either because we already lost Burnett. We knew HaHa was never going to be in Green Bay after the season, and instead of "waisting" a draft pick on a QB we did draft a punter and long snapper. The real question is what Pettine thought of Randall. I;m sure he was involved in the decision. 

On 12/12/2018 at 8:08 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Trades:

Randall for Kizer and mid tier draft capital: Hard to like this one in hindsight if the beef was with McCarthy, then to fire McCarthy weeks later

Allegedly the beef was with the other Packer players and the vets/captains went to MM to suggest they'd rather he play someplace else

Archived