SaNF Week 15: CLE @ DEN GDT

Broncofan

13 minutes ago, kramxel said:

He usually doesn't look bad, never mind THIS bad.

To be balanced, 3 points to mitigate his performance:

1.  It's a tough draw to play the DEN pass rush @ Mile High.

2.  The pass rush has applied a fair amount of pressure.

3.   As a rule, rookie QB's tend to struggle on the road.

But, it's also fair to point out 3 things to detract from him:

1.  His red-hot run came against 3 bottom 5 pass D's (CIN, KC, ATL), and then CAR, another vulnerable pass D.   @HOU was the one hiccup, and it's followed a similar formula of being on the road, and having a fierce pass rush.  So there was definitely some over-inflation in his hot run post-Hue firing.  Just like projecting this as his floor is a bridge too far the other way.

2.  When you look at all the rookie QB's, he's clearly been in the best situation - best OL, great RB & run game, a great schedule and an OC who gets the right matchups.  And he's been playing ahead most of the games.    That's the setup that's going to make a QB's performance play up.  

3.  Unlike @HOU, though, he's missed 5-6x where there's been no pressure.   That's really hard to defend.

I've said over and over that Darnold's been my top guy in the draft, and I also said I'd prefer Rosen to Mayfield.   I do think I've been too hard on Mayfield pre-draft, because I don't think he's going to bust out - at worst, he'd be league average.   And he's got some traits that have played up much better than I thought they would before the season began.   Don't get me wrong, I think CLE will be very happy with Baker - but I also think the Q on who the best QB from the 2018 draft class is far from over (duh at Year 1, but it's been stated that it's a closed case, and I don't think that's at all the case).

Archived