Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

2 hours ago, French Fan said:

What uphill battle ? We have Todd Davis and Josey Jewell at this point of the season. 

Perhaps add 10th pick but now he can contribute

We are going to add to that position. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out, so no matter who we add (draft pick, free agent) Cravens is going to have a job to beat them out because of all the reasons I mentioned. He's proven over his NFL career that is thoroughly unreliable.

52 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

We are going to add to that position. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out, so no matter who we add (draft pick, free agent) Cravens is going to have a job to beat them out because of all the reasons I mentioned. He's proven over his NFL career that is thoroughly unreliable.

Agreed.  He’s going to have his work cut out for him to make the team.  Davis and Jewell aren’t going anywhere and I think there is a good chance Denver goes ILB at 1.10.  There is also Joe Jones (arguably the teams best special teams player) Bierria who the team drafted last year and Alexander Johnson.  

• Like 1

Random question but I just saw Field Yates tweet cap numbers out and the Broncos only have 11mill in cap space.

My question (without doing all the digging) is who the hell are they spending all of this money on that we are so far behind the 8ball in cap money.

I feel like Denver is still crawling out of cap since the 2016 SB high priced FA team.

I know Von is paid a lot, Flacco and James as well. But Harris, Wolfe, Sanders are all on decent deals and the rest are cheap vets and guys on rookie deals. Who/what is mowing through the cap space?

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Random question but I just saw Field Yates tweet cap numbers out and the Broncos only have 11mill in cap space.

My question (without doing all the digging) is who the hell are they spending all of this money on that we are so far behind the 8ball in cap money.

I feel like Denver is still crawling out of cap since the 2016 SB high priced FA team.

I know Von is paid a lot, Flacco and James as well. But Harris, Wolfe, Sanders are all on decent deals and the rest are cheap vets and guys on rookie deals. Who/what is mowing through the cap space?

Von's cap hit is 25.1MM. Flacco is 18.5MM. Almost 44MM right there. Leary at 9MM. Todd Davis at 5MM. Chubb makes 6MM. I'd say that's definitely driving the overall cap number right now.

2 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Von's cap hit is 25.1MM. Flacco is 18.5MM. Almost 44MM right there. Leary at 9MM. Todd Davis at 5MM. Chubb makes 6MM. I'd say that's definitely driving the overall cap number right now.

Ahh alright it just feels weird that this team isn't exactly loaded with top talent everywhere but if you look at the cap number you would assume they had the talent to be a serious contender

3 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/cap/

This might give you some answers. 

Thanks, whats the deal with Leary? I know he finished on IR and there was questions about him being back similar to Paradis. It looks like they have an opt out this summer but his dead cap hit is another 7mill if they do that. Might as well keep him this year I just havent heard any updates on their plans with him.

If anything from looking at the cap it shows me that the Broncos really really really need their top players to stay healthy. Wolfe, Leary, Sanders, Harris, ect cannot go down with injuries. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thanks, whats the deal with Leary? I know he finished on IR and there was questions about him being back similar to Paradis. It looks like they have an opt out this summer but his dead cap hit is another 7mill if they do that. Might as well keep him this year I just havent heard any updates on their plans with him.

If anything from looking at the cap it shows me that the Broncos really really really need their top players to stay healthy. Wolfe, Leary, Sanders, Harris, ect cannot go down with injuries. 

Reportedly he had an injury clause in his contract that made him pretty much impossible to cut.  Achilles injuries aren’t what they used to be either, he probably doesn’t end up on the physically unable to perform list either and there is actually a pretty good chance he could be the starting LG in week 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Reportedly he had an injury clause in his contract that made him pretty much impossible to cut.  Achilles injuries aren’t what they used to be either, he probably doesn’t end up on the physically unable to perform list either and there is actually a pretty good chance he could be the starting LG in week 1.

Horrible contract 

24 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Horrible contract 

I don’t know, it wasn’t great by any means. Year 1 though IIRC, Leary was worth it.  You also can never project injuries and he’s been banged up and suffered a season ender in October this year.

A part of me is fine not being able to cut him this year and rolling that dead money over into next.  

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I don’t know, it wasn’t great by any means. Year 1 though IIRC, Leary was worth it.  You also can never project injuries and he’s been banged up and suffered a season ender in October this year.

A part of me is fine not being able to cut him this year and rolling that dead money over into next.  

Nah, he was a pretty lousy RG, McGovern played better in the 5 games Leary missed. He's been pretty much a bust as a FA and has only played in 17 games in his 2 years.

46 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Nah, he was a pretty lousy RG, McGovern played better in the 5 games Leary missed. He's been pretty much a bust as a FA and has only played in 17 games in his 2 years.

Again, you can’t project injuries. When he was healthy year 1 he was a top 8 OG according to PFF.   And he wasn’t the RG he was the LG.

Edited by germ-x