Small Town Values

Who Wins?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Chiefs
    • Seahawks
    • Tied Game

Just now, The LBC said:

Well, I mean, they do.  But I think in their (defense - that's a bad word because I'm really intending to find fault with them but explain at the same time) I feel like refs are extremely prone to buying into narratives that make certain behavior by certain units (not teams, specifically particular offensive and defensive units or even down to particular players with "reputations") much more likely to get away with play which should, by the letter of the law, be flagged - and is when most other units are concerned - but isn't.  It's not just an NFL thing, we see it in other sports too.

For me the infuriating thing is they botch the type of penalty consistently. To throw the flag on something borderline, or tick-tacky is going to happen. But often they miss call the type, and its just makes things work way worse, like completely incompetent worse.

IDK, bringing back "incidental" 5 yarders might mask this a bit. Allow for more leeway with calls. 

Fans who complain about the refs have no standards for their team. Good teams will overcome bad calls and bad calls balance out for every team throughout the year.  Yes there is too many flags in games and that needs to be addressed. Its got to the point where after every play everyone is looking for a flag. Kills the fluidity of the game and the flow. Also excitement in the plays. 

But hardly ever are the refs the result of why a team lost. Unless its an egregious obvious call on the last game winning/losing play of the game. 

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Personally, I did think they were one year away as they needed a re-tooling, and I fully admit I was wrong on that.  I was thinking they'd be a 6-8 win team and miss the playoffs.  

The OL and secondary coaches deserve a ton of credit for how those two position groups have played this year.  They fixed numbers 3, 5, and 6.

Richardson sucked anyways, no one said that.

1 was maybe said, but I heard no one say Carroll los the team.

I just want to watch the people of Seattle, who never cared about the team until they started winning, to suffer through many losing seasons for a number of reasons.

Whats annoying was so many people just threw out unresearched hot takes. The whole Kam, Sherm, Avril thing was really overblown since they were all IR'd in week 9. Seattle blew out the Eagles and were one or two Blair Walsh shanks from making the playoffs regardless. Its frustrating because Seattle has been a top franchise for almost a decade now yet people still know nothing about the team outside of old memes. This includes people paid to follow the NFL.

Seattle has always had a pretty loyal fanbase. Since Paul Allen took over there has been a consistent base of vocal passionate fans. Even during the late 90s mediocrity. Yeah, their popularity exploding in 2005 and with subsequent playoff and Super Bowl victories, but you can say that about EVERY team. 

16 minutes ago, animaltested said:

For me the infuriating thing is they botch the type of penalty consistently. To throw the flag on something borderline, or tick-tacky is going to happen. But often they miss call the type, and its just makes things work way worse, like completely incompetent worse.

IDK, bringing back "incidental" 5 yarders might mask this a bit. Allow for more leeway with calls. 

As long as the referees remain part-time "consistency" is going to be something that simply can't be associated with them - in terms of week to week and even crew to crew.  Even where the rules are specific about what constitutes the foul and what doesn't (this is leaving out the "what is a catch?" stuff), you've got individual referees and in particular lead officials who subscribe to different philosophies as to how much leeway should be allowed... in what part of the game... and consistency is just a pipe dream. 

Bringing back the incidental 5 yarders would probably help, as would eliminating a number of the automatic 1st downs rewarded when the penalty yardage awarded wouldn't have the offended team within a yard or two of the actual line to gain.  I'd mentioned in another thread, if it didn't present more potential for things to get overcomplicated further, I'd like to see an effort to curtail how much players play for and/or complain for flags - at minimum something closer to the way the rules for soccer are written (not as well enforced all that often) where only the captains are permitted to voice complaints or concerns to the officials, anyone else faces a personal foul for dissent.

I hate when ref's call every penalty to the letter of the law against one team.  But only flag obvious penalties vs the other.  And predictively it's small TV market teams that get screwed.  I swear that TV networks control the refs.

Archived