Trubisky detractors

ibt734

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Trubisky js having a slightly above average season. 24’s TDs 12 INTs, 7.5 YPA, and 87 QB Rating. Those are game manager numbers but he’s doing it quite well. With that defense you don’t need to do much. 

Your QB rating is off.  Its 96 not 87.  87 would be his career QB rating. (Which includes that joke they called on offense last year) which puts him tied for 15 just behind Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Luck and has a higher TD% than 2/3, has a higher ypa than 2/3. Has a higher QBR than 2/3.  So if you want to say those guys are having average seasons, then ok I guess you can say Tru is, but if you think they are top 10 this year, I dont see how you cant say the same for Tru.

But seriously @ibt734 let it go, the guys will do the talking on the field.  

I struggle to think how a rough 3 game stretch has exposed Goff?

I cant speak for nobody here but when I talk about Trubisky, I simply say I dont trust Trubisky, more so on the road. I get why Bears fans are upset to hear others talk about Trubisky. I was that guy when people talked about Goff last season...BUT IN THE PLAYOFFS, I knew what matchup I didnt want the Rams to face. Sadly that matchup happened and the Rams went up against the Falcons and lost. Trubisky on the road in New Orleans or LA will be tough. Its tough to play in New Orleans. To play the Rams again but this time in LA, you dont think its going to be tough? As great as the Bears D is, if McVay does get that BYE and you give him 2 weeks to prepare for the Bears trust me when I say the outcomes is going to be different. If the Bears want to win Trubisky is going to have to play one of his best games of the season. Thats not even taking into account this will be new for the Bears team playing in the postseason. So if they stay at the 3 seed, lets see how they play in the first round. As a Rams fan who saw the team experience it last season, the taste of the playoffs matters regardless if its home or on the road. If its at home it helps so it helps the Bears to have a home game and it would really help if they have a BYE then a home game. But we shall see how it all plays out. 

Ill just say this, I believe we all can agree regardless if we are believers or non-believers in Trubisky, He isnt a top 3 QB we trust in the NFC playoffs. I already stated that I trust Brees, Goff, and Wilson in that order. Goff over Wilson because the Rams will have the homefield advantage and he plays so great at home. Not saying Wilson isnt capable of winning on the road but history says Wilson is (2-6) when he has faced the Rams on the road. 

37 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

I think Trubisky is a decent quarterback - by my model, he's at +6.8% over the average quarterback this season. I think there are a couple of reasons people hate him as a player.

First, the Goff thing - they both have 12 interceptions. Goff has thrown 535 passes (2.2%), Trubisky 408 (2.9%; average is roughly 2.4%). I don't think that's really a fair comparison to defend Trubisky. BUT I will concede that Trubisky has a higher touchdown rate (5.9% to 5.4%), but still using the interception thing as support for Trubisky in the OP is a little misleading. 

QBR is also not a good stat to base an argument on given how much it's mocked. He's 21st in DVOA, which is generally a more reliable statistic than QBR.

Also, he has 3,060 passing yards, good for 21st in the league. I know yardage stats aren't really a great indicator of how good a player is, but there's a line to cross when it comes to passing yardage. 4,000 yards is the benchmark for a "good" quarterback for a reason. If you look at who has 4,000 this year, there's Roethlisberger, Mahomes, Ryan, Goff, Rodgers, Luck, Cousins, Rivers, and Brady. That's a pretty good list. Tru might have decent rate stats but until he produces at a 4,000 yard pace, there will be people who hold that against him because 4,000 is the benchmark.

Another thing is his production against good defenses. Trubisky has beaten up terrible defenses (see: Tampa Bay, Detroit, New England - and even then he threw 2 picks and completed just 26 of 50 passes) but has not done nearly as much against good pass defenses. Against the Rams (who gave up 51 earlier in the season): 16-30, 110 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, Rate 33.3, ANY/A in the negatives. That's bad. Against Buffalo, even in a game they won 41-9, he didn't play very well: 12-20, 135 yards, 1 TD, 1INT, Rate 76.0. Against Minnesota he wasn't great either: 20-31, 165 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, Rate 61.9. If he doesn't produce against good defenses, people will be detractors.

The last thing is draft position. When you go No. 2 overall and your team trades up one pick to get you, there are huge expectations. Being average when you went No. 2 overall, ahead of Watson and Mahomes, means people will hold that against you until they can't.

I'm not saying he's garbage, but these are the reasons I think he's very average and why people might think he sucks.

Yardage isn't a fair measure when he's missed 2 games and the other guys you listed haven't.

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I struggle to think how a rough 3 game stretch has exposed Goff?

I cant speak for nobody here but when I talk about Trubisky, I simply say I dont trust Trubisky, more so on the road. I get why Bears fans are upset to hear others talk about Trubisky. I was that guy when people talked about Goff last season...BUT IN THE PLAYOFFS, I knew what matchup I didnt want the Rams to face. Sadly that matchup happened and the Rams went up against the Falcons and lost. Trubisky on the road in New Orleans or LA will be tough. Its tough to play in New Orleans. To play the Rams again but this time in LA, you dont think its going to be tough? As great as the Bears D is, if McVay does get that BYE and you give him 2 weeks to prepare for the Bears trust me when I say the outcomes is going to be different. If the Bears want to win Trubisky is going to have to play one of his best games of the season. Thats not even taking into account this will be new for the Bears team playing in the postseason. So if they stay at the 3 seed, lets see how they play in the first round. As a Rams fan who saw the team experience it last season, the taste of the playoffs matters regardless if its home or on the road. If its at home it helps so it helps the Bears to have a home game and it would really help if they have a BYE then a home game. But we shall see how it all plays out. 

Ill just say this, I believe we all can agree regardless if we are believers or non-believers in Trubisky, He isnt a top 3 QB we trust in the NFC playoffs. I already stated that I trust Brees, Goff, and Wilson in that order. Goff over Wilson because the Rams will have the homefield advantage and he plays so great at home. Not saying Wilson isnt capable of winning on the road but history says Wilson is (2-6) when he has faced the Rams on the road. 

The experience thing is a tad overblown, especially on D.  Of the Bears starters on D, 3 have won Superbowls, Another has been to a conference championship.  Another won 2 national champ in college.  The DC has coached in a Superbowl.  The D absolutely has playoff experience.  Offense is less so, but Nagy was the OC for the chiefs last year, and QB coach before that.  Massie played in a Superbowl for the cards.  Harry Hiestand has done everything there is to do as an ol coach.  There are guys on both sides of the ball who have been there before.  I don't think experience is going to be the factor people think it will, sans Tru.  That's going to be the telling factor.  He has shown that he can get overhyped in the big games and try to do too much and try to win it on his own.  He doesnt have to do that.  He has to play within himself and let the guys around him do their job, if he does that hes going to be very successful.

46 minutes ago, Pool said:

Yardage isn't a fair measure when he's missed 2 games and the other guys you listed haven't.

Okay, fine. Take his yards per game average (235.4) and multiply by 15. The result: 3,531, good for a very average 15th and still, guess what!, less than 4,000 by a good margin. Even if you're generous and say he throws for 300 in both the games he missed, that's 3660 yards, good for 14th and still less than 4,000 by a good margin.

21 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The experience thing is a tad overblown, especially on D.  Of the Bears starters on D, 3 have won Superbowls, Another has been to a conference championship.  Another won 2 national champ in college.  The DC has coached in a Superbowl.  The D absolutely has playoff experience.  Offense is less so, but Nagy was the OC for the chiefs last year, and QB coach before that.  Massie played in a Superbowl for the cards.  Harry Hiestand has done everything there is to do as an ol coach.  There are guys on both sides of the ball who have been there before.  I don't think experience is going to be the factor people think it will, sans Tru.  That's going to be the telling factor.  He has shown that he can get overhyped in the big games and try to do too much and try to win it on his own.  He doesnt have to do that.  He has to play within himself and let the guys around him do their job, if he does that hes going to be very successful.

I get what you are saying but Im just pointing out that the team as a whole need that experience. Hopefully Trubisky doesnt allow the moment to be too big for him. The Bears are certainly a good football team and they have guys that are capable of making plays like you said. We shall see how its going to play out because again assuming the Bears stay at the 3 seed, they will have the tough task of winning the wildcard weekend, then traveling to LA to face a rested and well-prepared Rams team that they faced already so we know McVay isnt going to allow what happened in Chicago happen again and then if the Bears beat the Rams they will have to go to the Superdome to face the Saints. Thats brutal. Trubisky is going to have to be good if not great at least in one of those games to win. 

I have watched Trubisky play some. Right now he is at best an average QB and probably below average QB. I personally don't think he will ever be a great QB but he can probably improve a bit.

His vision and processing speed is not really good.

His stats are Ok I guess this year.

He can be kind of an Alex Smith. Not saying they are exactly the same QB but I think Trubisky will be around the same level.

8 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

i am very high on trubes - but looking at the nfc playoffs he’s at best the number four signal caller, in front of dak definitely and kirk arguably

but there’s no shame in that when the three guys ahead of him are an mvp candidate, someone who was an mvp candidate for large parts of the year and russell wilson

The thing about the guys ahead of Mitch is that they could be made to look very average by the Bears D.

1 hour ago, AlNFL19 said:

Okay, fine. Take his yards per game average (235.4) and multiply by 15. The result: 3,531, good for a very average 15th and still, guess what!, less than 4,000 by a good margin. Even if you're generous and say he throws for 300 in both the games he missed, that's 3660 yards, good for 14th and still less than 4,000 by a good margin.

Fair enough. Middle of the pack for a 2nd year QB in a complicated system. I'll take it.

Archived