Trubisky detractors

ibt734

6 minutes ago, ibt734 said:

Still haven't gotten over Goff being exposed?

Thanks for admitting that the "Trubisky sucks" chant is BS. 

I've never argued that Trubisky sucks. I don't think he does. But looking at the NFC playoff picture, he's arguably the second worst QB (Dak is the worst). Plus, he has no playoff experience and hasn't been particularly impressive in road games this year. However, it's ironic that you are trying to argue that Goff was exposed while also trying to use him as a reference point for why Trubisky doesn't suck. Those ideas just happen to conflict. If Goff isn't good, Trubisky isn't good. 

Just now, Shady Slim said:

tbf it was cowboys threads the other week and rams threads the while before that 

now i for one think we need more lions discourse 

Seconded. @ET80, please lock this thread and provide an outlet for the much-needed Lions discourse.

i am very high on trubes - but looking at the nfc playoffs he’s at best the number four signal caller, in front of dak definitely and kirk arguably

but there’s no shame in that when the three guys ahead of him are an mvp candidate, someone who was an mvp candidate for large parts of the year and russell wilson

4 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

tbf it was cowboys threads the other week and rams threads the while before that 

now i for one think we need more lions discourse 

No one needs more Lions discourse. It's a short talk. They suck. The end.

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

... you see this madness, @MWil23?

I'm not a Trubisky detractor, FTR. Would prefer Watson, but that doesn't mean I'm a Trubisky detractor.

NFL Gen is the skip baseless of hot take threads. You can’t like multiple players. You must speak in absolutes and die on every hill. It’s impossible to point out certain flaws while praising others. 

I think Trubisky is a decent quarterback - by my model, he's at +6.8% over the average quarterback this season. I think there are a couple of reasons people hate him as a player.

First, the Goff thing - they both have 12 interceptions. Goff has thrown 535 passes (2.2%), Trubisky 408 (2.9%; average is roughly 2.4%). I don't think that's really a fair comparison to defend Trubisky. BUT I will concede that Trubisky has a higher touchdown rate (5.9% to 5.4%), but still using the interception thing as support for Trubisky in the OP is a little misleading. 

QBR is also not a good stat to base an argument on given how much it's mocked. He's 21st in DVOA, which is generally a more reliable statistic than QBR.

Also, he has 3,060 passing yards, good for 21st in the league. I know yardage stats aren't really a great indicator of how good a player is, but there's a line to cross when it comes to passing yardage. 4,000 yards is the benchmark for a "good" quarterback for a reason. If you look at who has 4,000 this year, there's Roethlisberger, Mahomes, Ryan, Goff, Rodgers, Luck, Cousins, Rivers, and Brady. That's a pretty good list. Tru might have decent rate stats but until he produces at a 4,000 yard pace, there will be people who hold that against him because 4,000 is the benchmark.

Another thing is his production against good defenses. Trubisky has beaten up terrible defenses (see: Tampa Bay, Detroit, New England - and even then he threw 2 picks and completed just 26 of 50 passes) but has not done nearly as much against good pass defenses. Against the Rams (who gave up 51 earlier in the season): 16-30, 110 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, Rate 33.3, ANY/A in the negatives. That's bad. Against Buffalo, even in a game they won 41-9, he didn't play very well: 12-20, 135 yards, 1 TD, 1INT, Rate 76.0. Against Minnesota he wasn't great either: 20-31, 165 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, Rate 61.9. If he doesn't produce against good defenses, people will be detractors.

The last thing is draft position. When you go No. 2 overall and your team trades up one pick to get you, there are huge expectations. Being average when you went No. 2 overall, ahead of Watson and Mahomes, means people will hold that against you until they can't.

I'm not saying he's garbage, but these are the reasons I think he's very average and why people might think he sucks.

6 hours ago, ibt734 said:

Please tell me how he "stinks" or "sucks". Fifth in QBR and has as many INTs as Goff. What am I missing?

RIGHT ON, Bro'!

For me, those True Biskies have it all over the overrated Red Lobster biscuits! As long as Mitch the Pitch keeps popping 'em in the oven, he'll be fine!!

Image result for Trubisky funny image

Archived