Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vike daddy

Free ain't free in the NFL...

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

In my opinion, the quarterbacks (Ponder and Bridgewater) due to their mobility, and still having Peterson, made the line seem better than they really were.

They might not have been very talented but you dont need great individual talent up front to have a capable line. Just don't want to have a sieve, or multiple. 

If the Vikes can get a solid veteran in like Sitton or Levitre, along with Easton, I'd feel pretty good going into the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I would have loved Berry from a few years ago, but a big red flag gets raised as to why Kansas City chose Tyran Matthieu over Berry, and simply released him.

Because he's been repeatedly injured since coming back from cancer. He just hasn't been able to stay on the field.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donald Penn was released by the Raiders, I know in this zone blocking athletic Denver Broncos stuff they are trying to do on the OL he might not be a fit.  But I would not mind a guy like Penn, possibly could transition to guard with his power, probably cannot hang as a tackle anymore but can still move people and is a tough vet.  Could be rather cheap also but possibly he has an injury problem which has lead to his decreased level of play.

 

 

And the Saints with Max Unger retiring have visited with Nick Easton I guess and they are looking at him as a center potentially.  I guess he could do it possibly but I view him as more of a guard.  Also have Will Clapp but not sure he is a starter in the NFL, willsee.  Thank goodness the Saints do not have a 1st round pick but could trade up for one just to get a center. 

 

PS  Nate Wozniak is on the Saints roster as a OT, cool for him hope he can maybe develop, still surprised he was not given a shot as more of a blocking TE though first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Source says Nick Easton is gone and going to sign with the Saints to compete for that starting center job now.

 

Sucks for the Vikings, now the OL is in deep trouble with needing another starting quality guard which we do not have right now and tackle depth which we arguably do not have.  Even if Elflein moves to OG and we draft a C still need and could be filled in the 1st round, but also need another guard and not sure Isidora is the answer, not to mention Reiff at tackle who I question a little bit as well.  Will be curious if they sign any free agent linemen for once this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Source says Nick Easton is gone and going to sign with the Saints to compete for that starting center job now.

 

Sucks for the Vikings, now the OL is in deep trouble with needing another starting quality guard which we do not have right now and tackle depth which we arguably do not have.  Even if Elflein moves to OG and we draft a C still need and could be filled in the 1st round, but also need another guard and not sure Isidora is the answer, not to mention Reiff at tackle who I question a little bit as well.  Will be curious if they sign any free agent linemen for once this week.

I think Compton will end up coming back and they will grab a veteran for RG. Maybe Kline. 

On draft day, I hope a new center is drafted early moving Elflein to LG to replace Compton as starter. Could grab a Guard in round 2-4 to then compete with Kline at RG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May not be what a lot of people want to hear but I think they need to bring back Compton and Brett Jones just for depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think Compton will end up coming back and they will grab a veteran for RG. Maybe Kline. 

On draft day, I hope a new center is drafted early moving Elflein to LG to replace Compton as starter. Could grab a Guard in round 2-4 to then compete with Kline at RG.

True but honestly I have zero faith in Compton as a starting guard.  And turns out today Tom Compton is on the NY Jets, they just signed him, good luck, again I have little faith in him becoming a quality starter so really not a huge loss.

Two starting interior positions up for grabs is not a good look going into next year.  Maybe that could change with a great draft, there are more than a few quality guards but one would have to spend 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders on OL and worst case at least two of those three rounds have to be OL now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan Mills I would not mind in free agency, has a connection with Dennison while he was the OC in Buffalo.  Solid OT no doubt who is good and stable in pass pro.  Only negative is then who are the tackles, but if we move on from Reiff somehow Mills would make a lot of sense.  Also Brent Qvale was on the Jets with Dennison, so he could be another we could get but not as sold on him long term as I would be with Mills.  But Mills might be waiting for a big payday because as a starter he gets paid very little compared to say Remmers who Mills is way better than.  

 

Mills started 82 out of 87 games in his career and last season only got $1.5 Million.  Pretty sad really....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jordan Mills I would not mind in free agency, has a connection with Dennison while he was the OC in Buffalo.  Solid OT no doubt who is good and stable in pass pro.  Only negative is then who are the tackles, but if we move on from Reiff somehow Mills would make a lot of sense.  Also Brent Qvale was on the Jets with Dennison, so he could be another we could get but not as sold on him long term as I would be with Mills.  But Mills might be waiting for a big payday because as a starter he gets paid very little compared to say Remmers who Mills is way better than.  

 

Mills started 82 out of 87 games in his career and last season only got $1.5 Million.  Pretty sad really....

Is Mills any better than Rashod Hill. If we're reshuffling the OL, could always move Reiff to LG, Hill to RT and O'Neill to LT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Is Mills any better than Rashod Hill. If we're reshuffling the OL, could always move Reiff to LG, Hill to RT and O'Neill to LT.

Rashod Hill?  Hill has started 15 of 28 games in his career, the guy is not a starter in the league and is only a backup I feel.  Mills is a starter, he was on Chicago early in his career, and was on Buffalo so yes he is WAY better than Rashod Hill.  Reiff cannot play OG I feel and to think Hill is a long term option for the Vikings OL outside of just a backup is expecting a bit much out of him I feel.  Reiff to me cannot transition to OG and neither can O'Neill, they do not have the build for it and Reiff I would be ok if we just moved on from him if we got another option at the other OT position.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Rashod Hill?  Hill has started 15 of 28 games in his career, the guy is not a starter in the league and is only a backup I feel.  Mills is a starter, he was on Chicago early in his career, and was on Buffalo so yes he is WAY better than Rashod Hill.  Reiff cannot play OG I feel and to think Hill is a long term option for the Vikings OL outside of just a backup is expecting a bit much out of him I feel.  Reiff to me cannot transition to OG and neither can O'Neill, they do not have the build for it and Reiff I would be ok if we just moved on from him if we got another option at the other OT position.  

I mean just starting games doesn't mean they're good. TJ Clemmings started 30/31 games to start his career. Matt Kalil has started every game that he's been healthy for. Ereck Flowers has started 55/59 career games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I mean just starting games doesn't mean they're good. TJ Clemmings started 30/31 games to start his career. Matt Kalil has started every game that he's been healthy for. Ereck Flowers has started 55/59 career games.

True but Mills has been solid for awhile and to me he is worlds ahead of Hill in terms of his ability to play the position.  I liked Mills a lot coming out of La Tech.  Clemmings was raw and given a chance but clearly never had it, Kalil was great early in his career but decreased a ton after a few injuries hit him and he never was the same it seemed after, heck at 82 games in his career one is already thinking Matt Kalil's career might be over, not the case with Mills.  And Ereck was raw and given a chance to start and play but clearly was lacking outside of just raw skills athletically he showed at the combine some thought could be molded.  Two of those guys were also high draft picks in Kalil and Flowers so of course they will play and start, Clemmings was given a chance early only because of an injury if I remember correctly.

Mills to me is solid and has proven himself, but will see if he gets a payday, again $1.5 million for a guy like that seems very low, but would love to get him that cheap.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ozzy hey man, you seem to know to a lot more about this player than anybody else here, so I hope he's as good as you say and Vikings sign him 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

@Ozzy hey man, you seem to know to a lot more about this player than anybody else here, so I hope he's as good as you say and Vikings sign him 😁

I originally made the connection because of Dennison and if he liked him the Vikings might bring him in.  I watched him in college and liked what he showed at La Tech in terms of his size and athletic ability.  Did not mind his play as a 5th round pick starting on the Bears as a rookie, thought that was pretty impressive and overall has had a decent career I feel.  And again if compared to Rashod Hill yeah Mills is a fine player, compared to some other all pro starter yeah not that good.  I like Jermey Parnell as well in terms of size and athletic ability but he is more of just a backup type OT but might be worth a look as well.  Even if Mills is only backup I still take him all day over Hill as a backup but might have some starting ability still left in his career.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×