Joker

Mox

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I mean, Jack Nicholson's Joker literally was old enough to kill Bruce Wayne's parents and Nicholson was 52 in Batman 1989 while Pheonix is 44 now. So it's not much of a difference.

There is a big difference between 52 and being mid 60s, which is what this Joker would be by the time this Bruce was Batman.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I'm going to push back on this. I think the hook is that it's a possible take on how a man becomes the Joker and that without it being about that, the film has little reason to exist. Also to be honest, I read some of the leaked script. It's definitley artsy and takes liberties but it has many reasons that tie it back to the Batman universe to make it neccessary for it being the Joker. 

Like assuming the leaks are true (which they seem to be by all indications), you really can't do this movie without it being about the Joker from Batman. Too much of it becomes pointless. 

I'll have to see it to be sure...but the fact is, we will never see this Joker square off vs Batman.

Not saying it's a huge deal necessarily...but based on everything I know, the ties to the Batman universe are very basic (Wayne's, Gotham, etc...).

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I'll have to see it to be sure...but the fact is, we will never see this Joker square off vs Batman.

Not saying it's a huge deal necessarily...but based on everything I know, the ties to the Batman universe are very basic (Wayne's, Gotham, etc...).

I think that's all it was meant to be. A Joker origin story with loose tie-ins to Batman. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It's an origin story of a villain, so why does it need strong ties to anything?

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

It's an origin story of a villain, so why does it need strong ties to anything?

I didnt say it did.  I'm saying that the Joker/Batverse element of this movie is pretty much only there to draw in more fans.   This movie could easily exist without tying it to the Batverse.  A story about a man who is driven to madness.  Let's make it about Joker and throw in loose ties to the Batverse to draw in the comic crowd.

It's not a big deal...just saying I view this as more of an alternate reality version of Joker, rather than a Joker that will eventually become Batman's greatest enemy.

The director and part writer of this movie has done only really comedies before this, good ones Old School and The Hangover but that is basically it, War Dogs, Due Date, Starsky & Hutch I was not a huge fan of.  So will be curious how he does here, the trailer looks cool and interesting, and Joaquin is a great actor and could do great things in this part no clue why De Niro is in it but whatever.  People like the Joker character and sure this movie will make a crap ton.

Speaking of movies that make a crap ton with these Harley Quinn movies coming down the pike, they are going to make a killing.. 

giphy.gif

Wish they would just do one with her and Jared Leto as the Joker but not sure that will happen.  PS Making another Suicide Squad movie is a stupid idea, if Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) was not in that movie it would have sucked and really it did outside of her and the Joker.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The director and part writer of this movie has done only really comedies before this, good ones Old School and The Hangover but that is basically it, War Dogs, Due Date, Starsky & Hutch I was not a huge fan of.  So will be curious how he does here, the trailer looks cool and interesting, and Joaquin is a great actor and could do great things in this part no clue why De Niro is in it but whatever.  People like the Joker character and sure this movie will make a crap ton.

Speaking of movies that make a crap ton with these Harley Quinn movies coming down the pike, they are going to make a killing.. 

giphy.gif

Wish they would just do one with her and Jared Leto as the Joker but not sure that will happen.  PS Making another Suicide Squad movie is a stupid idea, if Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) was not in that movie it would have sucked and really it did outside of her and the Joker.  

This is a joke right? The joker in suicide squad was terrible... And Harley Quinn was nothing but eye candy... There was nothing good about that movie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

This is a joke right? The joker in suicide squad was terrible... And Harley Quinn was nothing but eye candy... There was nothing good about that movie.

I agree that movie was awful totally, but the creative design of Harley Quinn was hard to argue with and was the absolute draw for the entire film that almost made $800 million.  She had cool makeup, super unique wardrobe and costume design.  Cannot imagine how much was made off that outfit in terms of costumes, hell people made a similar bat on Etsy and sold hundreds of them.  She as a character is very well designed and different and I am sure these new Harley Quinn movies will make close to a Billion dollars potentially if they are good solid movies, which is debatable at this point but will see.  And yeah she is eye candy, since when is the entire movie industry not about eye candy?  Wonder Woman much?  Gal Gadot is a goddess, think that had anything to do with the success of that film, yeah it did.  

And compared to Heath, every Joker ever is terrible but I think Leto had some good parts as a Joker and was a little different take on it.  If it was a movie with just her and Leto in it, not sure what it would be about but would make a crap ton of money.  

Margot-Robbie-Harley-Quinn.jpg?resize=69

new-suicide-squad-set-photo-features-har

law0sk58iq301.jpg

Suicide_Squad_official_release-1200x800.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:13 PM, seminoles1 said:

Those were Twitter audience reactions. These are actual reviews from critics. 

Some are saying groundbreaking/gamechanging and will compete during awards season (especially Phoenix), some say it isn't smart enough with the themes and issues it brings to light, some say it's the perfect Joker movie because of it's lack of cohesion and direction, etc.

Just about everyone predicting it will be the most divisive movie of the year because of it's subject matter and how it handles it, but they all agree that Phoenix gives an unbelievable performance and the movie is put together very well.

Dave Chappelle’s new show got a 0% on RT so take critics with a grain of salt as well.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 2:53 PM, Ozzy said:

giphy.gif

This is worse than your college football takes.

Not really, but the fact I had to think about it is pretty damning. 

On 9/2/2019 at 7:34 PM, Ozzy said:

I agree that movie was awful totally, but the creative design of Harley Quinn was hard to argue with and was the absolute draw for the entire film that almost made $800 million.

Will Smith, Jared Leto's take as Joker and sheer curiosity were bigger draws.   

Dont get me wrong, Margot Robbie as Harley was a big draw, but her alone wouldnt have made it nearly that successful.      Even less so now being in a movie that is largely considered to be extremely mediocre.  

She had cool makeup, super unique wardrobe and costume design.

I mean....not really.    They were pretty true to Harley Quinn's look, with some tweaks.    Go look at her in the Arkham series.   Its basically just a more sexualized version of that.

Cannot imagine how much was made off that outfit in terms of costumes, hell people made a similar bat on Etsy and sold hundreds of them.  She as a character is very well designed and different and I am sure these new Harley Quinn movies will make close to a Billion dollars potentially if they are good solid movies, which is debatable at this point but will see. 

Really?    Have you heard the synopsis for Birds of Prey?    Well, its not confirmed so we will see, but if its true, it will bomb spectacularly.    Although the moron professional critics at Rotten Tomatoes might foolishly give it high ratings.

If Suicide Squad had been a better movie, her new movies would have alot more hype.   Right now, there isnt much hype for it, and the rumored story is honestly one of the worst premises Ive ever heard.

And yeah she is eye candy, since when is the entire movie industry not about eye candy?  Wonder Woman much?  Gal Gadot is a goddess, think that had anything to do with the success of that film, yeah it did.  

Most people arent going to go to a movie simply because a woman looks good.    Maybe extremely horny comic book nerds, but most normal viewers?   No.    

I dont know of anyone who went to see Wonder Woman because she looked good.     Most went because they liked Womder Woman as a character and the movie got good reviews.   

And compared to Heath, every Joker ever is terrible but I think Leto had some good parts as a Joker and was a little different take on it.  If it was a movie with just her and Leto in it, not sure what it would be about but would make a crap ton of money.  

Umm...what?    

There have only really been 3 MODERN live action Jokers.....Jack Nicholson's Joker is beloved by most, and even preferred by many.   And if you count toons, Mark Hammill's Joker is widely considered to be the best Joker EVER.    

Leto's Joker is considered terrible because it wasnt a good version of Joker....not because its being compared to Ledger.   Even if Ledger's Joker never happened, Leto's Joker would still suck.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Leto's Joker is considered terrible because it wasnt a good version of Joker....not because its being compared to Ledger.   Even if Ledger's Joker never happened, Leto's Joker would still suck.

I agree with all you posted but this not as much. The character's look was atrocious. The tattoos, outfits, props, everything. Leto was given crap to work with and I thought, as an actor, he did what he could to pull it off. Remove the tattoos, grill, and basically change every physical aesthetic and his performance is better received imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I agree with all you posted but this not as much. The character's look was atrocious. The tattoos, outfits, props, everything. Leto was given crap to work with and I thought, as an actor, he did what he could to pull it off. Remove the tattoos, grill, and basically change every physical aesthetic and his performance is better received imo.

Let me make it clear... I absolutely believe Jared Leto could pull off a very good Joker. But as you said, he was given crap to work with. I didn't dislike Jared Leto... Just a bad version of The Joker in Suicide Squad. Then again, I didn't really like anything about that movie.

• Like 1