With the 10th pick the Denver Broncos select?

Wolzen

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Foles and Flacco more like. I doubt Stafford is going anywhere. 

Stafford would be awesome.  I mean, we would have to put up with some interceptions, but he rarely does so with the game on the line or in the red zone, it seems.  He also plays for Detroit...they've never had success...put a Bronco uniform on that man and see what he can do.  Plus, I think he is still relatively young...seems like he has been playing forever though. 

23 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Stafford would be awesome.  I mean, we would have to put up with some interceptions, but he rarely does so with the game on the line or in the red zone, it seems.  He also plays for Detroit...they've never had success...put a Bronco uniform on that man and see what he can do.  Plus, I think he is still relatively young...seems like he has been playing forever though. 

He'll be 31 in February and wed have to give up quite a haul to get him. I just don't know if thats the route I'd go . 

Daniel Jones might be my guy. Even a 1.10. He seeme in between the ears to be one of the best qbs to come out  in the last  decade that has some merit to me.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Von for Stanford?

41 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Vince Young

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

RG3

Dak Prescott

those are the last 5 QBs to win ROY.  Turns out an impressive rookie performance does not translate to how good a QB will actually be.

Yeah I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on Mayfield. 

42 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Vince Young

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

RG3

Dak Prescott

those are the last 5 QBs to win ROY.  Turns out an impressive rookie performance does not translate to how good a QB will actually be.

So you don't think Baker will be good lol? He threw 27 tds to 14 picks and was the catalyst to turn that franchise around. 

58 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

So you don't think Baker will be good lol? He threw 27 tds to 14 picks and was the catalyst to turn that franchise around. 

You're loling at someone whose forgotten more than you'll ever know? Okay. 

Mayfield had a nice rookie year, no argument there, but he also doesn't have the prototypical skillset that points to long-term success. Let's see how he does once the league sees some more film on him, he adapts to a new offense and new coaching regime. Plus, he is very thin-skinned and had virtually no pressure this year as the Browns just competitive in games was seen as a win given the moribund status of that franchise since it returned to the league. 

The problem with every FA QB available - other than Bridgewater, they're all only short-term solutions, and they're all going to add a significant chunk of cap $.    With the $ already sunk into Keenum, and the fact that even the players know we're in rebuild mode (even if Elway won't say it), going vet FA QB or trade at those cap salaries, even if on paper it's not outrageous at 18M, it's bad team management.     We're not a win-now team, so getting a guy who doesn't really solve our long-term QB situation is just wasted resource allocation.  It's even worse if we have to trade assets to get said players. 

On the flip side, the draft is so meh this year for top-end talent.   We're talking about guys who really wouldn't be considered Rd1 in most years (other than Haskins).  I love Jones' intangibles, and I think he could end up being the next Cousins - but there's a reason why Cousins was drafted in Rd4 that year.   If he ends up like Cousins, for 1.10 that's not a bad result at all, everyone would be happy with that.   But,  it's not like that's a set outcome, either - the floor is that he's a gamer, but more of a great backup.  That's still actually a fine result if he's a Rd3 guy.   Rd2, it's not great, but not a total disaster (unless you skip better drafts because you are committed to see it through).   1.10 though, especially with the non-QB talent available this draft, man, that hurts.    The game has changed enough I get why he might go Rd3 in a vacuum, especially in a strong draft class.   It's just a reflection of this class that he's in the Rd1 talk, and not just the end-of-Rd1-to-get-5th-year talk. 

Let's face it - if we even had a Chad Kelly type guy to project as a competitor for 2019, we'd probably all cool our jets on Rd1 QB talk (and it's not like Kelly was a lock to succeed, either).   The need is forcing our hand, and it's definitely making us squint a little harder.  But if we really embrace the idea we're still in rebuild mode, either look for cheap QB options in FA that don't kill our cap health, or keep looking with lower-commitment draft targets.  Only hit the draft hard if you are sold on him as a franchise QB talent - if you aren't, then it's OK to dabble (and we definitely should), but don't repeat the Lynch mistake of investing such a high pick in a guy it locks you out of better drafts, especially since 2020 likely presents many more options.   

I'll admit fully that I have a soft spot for Jones, out of everyone in the non-Haskins group, I'd prefer him the most out of all the rest...but 1.10, man, still a bridge too far.  The sad part is that if Elway falls back on his MO, well, Jones probably won't be the guy he reaches for, either.   It's nuts that Chad Kelly has influenced our team direction THAT much (but of course, that's also because Keenum is really that bad - whether we want to comfort ourselves with saying Elway only wanted him as a 2-year stopgap and had no illusions of future beyond that, let's admit he whiffed hard no matter the reasoning in Elway's mind).

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Mayfield had a nice rookie year, no argument there, but he also doesn't have the prototypical skillset that points to long-term success. Let's see how he does once the league sees some more film on him, he adapts to a new offense and new coaching regime. Plus, he is very thin-skinned and had virtually no pressure this year as the Browns just competitive in games was seen as a win given the moribund status of that franchise since it returned to the league. 

I mean I agree things can always fall apart. Especially if they lose Kitchens somehow. A third oc and third hc in two years is a lot on a young qb. 

Other than Mahomes, Watson , Wentz, Darnold (qbs under 25 and under)there's  not many qbs you could argue that in a vacuum if you were starting a franchise you'd even debate taken over Mayfield. 

But to say he doesn't have the skillset longterm is crazy. I mean his deep ball is great and his ability to create plays on the move while looking to throw is impressive. 

23 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

In what way does he not have the protypical skill set? His size? 

Dude is a stud. He’s going to be pissing people off and showing out for a long time. I find the hand wringing about Baker’s emotions on field ridiculous. 

23 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I mean I agree things can always fall apart. Especially if they lose Kitchens somehow. A third oc and third hc in two years is a lot on a young qb. 

Other than Mahomes, Watson , Wentz, Darnold (qbs under 25 and under)there's  not many qbs you could argue that in a vacuum if you were starting a franchise you'd even debate taken over Mayfield. 

But to say he doesn't have the skillset longterm is crazy. I mean his deep ball is great and his ability to create plays on the move while looking to throw is impressive. 

People don’t want to be wrong they want to be proven right so badly. Let them wait and see and be wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Dale Finlay said:

what about that QB at Wash St ? late rounder? quick release from what I watched this year granted only watched him couple times..

I’ve watched Gardner some. I am going back to scout him more intensely. I like him but that offense is very timing oriented with a lot of quick routes. 

Archived