Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

4 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

don't disagree there. he did an overall poor job of building around Marcus. Not improving OL/WR last offseason killed us.

Mainly OL I think no one predicted Delanie being hurt & what’s his name quitting on us 🤦🏽‍♂️.. 

3 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Mainly OL I think no one predicted Delanie being hurt & what’s his name quitting on us 🤦🏽‍♂️.. 

If we had Walker and the other guy we would've made the playoffs easy imo

Edited by VY-FTW
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

don't disagree there. he did an overall poor job of building around Marcus. Not improving OL/WR last offseason killed us.

man are yall serious? he did a poor job? his job is to not just build an offense but build a TEAM. he has given marcus weapons. drafted henry, taywan, jonnu, signed lewis, spent a top 5 pick on a WR, and had a good oline that regressed but that's the nature of it. he also has fixed that oline problem as quickly as it came up. like I said, he has to build a team and injuries happen. please don't blame him. just remember what we had before he got here when we were winning 2-3 games a season. improving that defense like he did helps marcus out also... again, his job is to build a team, not just an offense. he has literally put top end talent in every position group on that offense since he has been here.

Edited by Airness McNairness
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Airness McNairness said:

man are yall serious? he did a poor job? his job is to not just build an offense but build a TEAM. he has given marcus weapons. drafted henry, taywan, jonnu, signed lewis, spent a top 5 pick on a WR, and had a good oline that regressed but that's the nature of it. he also has fixed that oline problem as quickly as it came up. like I said, he has to build a team and injuries happen. please don't blame him. just remember what we had before he got here when we were winning 2-3 games a season. improving that defense like he did helps marcus out also... again, his job is to build a team, not just an offense. he has literally put top end talent in every position group on that offense since he has been here.

Agreed. Robinson has been the least of this organization’s problems. In fact, he’s probably the lone reason we’ve reeled off 3 consecutive winning seasons.

As for our inability to take the next step and become an actual contender, I’ve always heard that it’s a lot harder to go from good to great than it is to go from bad to good. We haven’t made very good decisions with our coaching staff (keeping Mularkey, hiring Robiskie, and in hindsight, hiring LaFleur) and we’re still not sure what we have in our supposed franchise QB, whose on-field regression can be directly attributed to the former point. Never mind his spotty health. 

Now, Robinson does deserve some blame for LaFleur. Vrabel is his guy, and so too are his staff by extension. That was not a good fit, and I’m still maddeningly perplexed that we’re apparently keeping the same offense, but whatever, we’re tired of changing schemes. I get it from that angle. But I refuse to complain about what he’s done with the roster. This team didn’t have a single “strength” when he took over. And what weaknesses remain, he has shown he’s willing to fix. Injuries happen, and apparently players “quit”. We can’t have all-pros at every position. It’s on the players we do have to step up at some point. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

Agreed. Robinson has been the least of this organization’s problems. In fact, he’s probably the lone reason we’ve reeled off 3 consecutive winning seasons.

As for our inability to take the next step and become an actual contender, I’ve always heard that it’s a lot harder to go from good to great than it is to go from bad to good. We haven’t made very good decisions with our coaching staff (keeping Mularkey, hiring Robiskie, and in hindsight, hiring LaFleur) and we’re still not sure what we have in our supposed franchise QB, whose on-field regression can be directly attributed to the former point. Never mind his spotty health. 

Now, Robinson does deserve some blame for LaFleur. Vrabel is his guy, and so too are his staff by extension. That was not a good fit, and I’m still maddeningly perplexed that we’re apparently keeping the same offense, but whatever, we’re tired of changing schemes. I get it from that angle. But I refuse to complain about what he’s done with the roster. This team didn’t have a single “strength” when he took over. And what weaknesses remain, he has shown he’s willing to fix. Injuries happen, and apparently players “quit”. We can’t have all-pros at every position. It’s on the players we do have to step up at some point. 

well said. idk what the deal is with some people around here lol.. I do think the OC decision was a bit perplexing. I think they were trying to catch lightening in a bottle with that hire. I think they felt Matt was a guy that in the best possible scenario, would come here and explode onto the scene with a dynamic offense, push Marcus into that second tier qb group and then jet for a head coach position. I think the Arthur smith hire has much more substinence than flash. I think he is gonna be way more solid and doesn't have being a head coach in the immediate future looming over his head. I think he will be more steady. if they beef up that oline like how I think they are, I think this team will be run first with henry and perform like his old Alabama teams.

I think to protect marcus this year, we are gonna turn him into more of a game manager who has the ability to be a big play qb, to avoid him having to do so much and cut down on injury risk. Sort of what Seattle did with Wilson his rookie year when they had that great defense. I'm not saying Marcus is gonna be alex smith, but 17-25 pass attempts a game will be great but also know in the back of their mind, that hey, if this guy needs to go wing it and win it, we definitely can open it up and let him do that as well.

Edited by Airness McNairness

30 minutes ago, Airness McNairness said:

well said. idk what the deal is with some people around here lol.. I do think the OC decision was a bit perplexing. I think they were trying to catch lightening in a bottle with that hire. I think they felt Matt was a guy that in the best possible scenario, would come here and explode onto the scene with a dynamic offense, push Marcus into that second tier qb group and then jet for a head coach position. I think the Arthur smith hire has much more substinence than flash. I think he is gonna be way more solid and doesn't have being a head coach in the immediate future looming over his head. I think he will be more steady. if they beef up that oline like how I think they are, I think this team will be run first with henry and perform like his old Alabama teams.

I think to protect marcus this year, we are gonna turn him into more of a game manager who has the ability to be a big play qb, to avoid him having to do so much and cut down on injury risk. Sort of what Seattle did with Wilson his rookie year when they had that great defense. I'm not saying Marcus is gonna be alex smith, but 17-25 pass attempts a game will be great but also know in the back of their mind, that hey, if this guy needs to go wing it and win it, we definitely can open it up and let him do that as well.

Honestly that sounds exactly what we’ve asked him to do all 4 years. If he’s only throwing 17-25 a game still I’m gonna throw up in my mouth

45 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Honestly that sounds exactly what we’ve asked him to do all 4 years. If he’s only throwing 17-25 a game still I’m gonna throw up in my mouth

lol yeah I know where you're coming from with that. I just think with the entire organization, including the owner coming out and saying specifically that she wants him to be the guy, I think they are gonna do more than just hope he stays healthy. I think its gonna affect scheme and playcalling. I think they are gonna try and "control" the situation as much as they can. with that being said tho, his strengths have always pointed to more of a quick strike, game manager type, that can be dynamic at a moments notice. he's better with a running game behind him (see 2016 stats and rushing offense numbers) and better at intermediate throws vs deep throws. having him throw 30-35 times a game is just gonna open him up to more hit opportunity and this year, I think coaches are gonna do everything they can to avoid that.

Of course I see why you guys don’t see my point in why I said Robinson is part of the reason why we as a offense hasn’t taken the next jump, you all are so happy with being mediocre 9-7 every year scratching & clawing for every win that you miss the bigger picture. Quote a HOF steve young it’s no excuse over the years we have had so much cap space & not taken advantage of Mariota skill set, & him being on a cheap rookie deal. Now we been 9-7 how many years imagine how many games we win with a better offense 🤔. Robinson failed to upgrade the interior O line & he failed to surround Mariota with proven weapons on the outside. Again how do you expect a QB to develop into a franchise QB when his receivers are all raw & developing themselves. Look what the rams did with Jared Goff got him weapons, Hou Deshawn Watson weapons, Phili Wentz surrounded him with weapons. Mahomes weapons, mayfield weapons you all don’t get it because we been losing so long you’ll accept 9-7 👌🏽 To each his own though 

2 minutes ago, TitanTuff said:

I guess the real question is do you blame JRob for injuries? Delanie, Davis, Conklin, Mariota..

You’re still missing my point, I’m not saying he sucks as a GM never once said he’s horrible bottom line is this, he’s failed to surround Mariota with weapons period all that cap space, he’s on a rookie deal why not upgrade the OL why not sign a #1 or #2 WR give him weapons. He depended on mariota to develop along with his receivers that’s a bad recipe. 

32 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Nobody is saying that Robinson isn't doing a good job. But he whiffed last offseason and strengthening our offensive weaknesses -- interior OL and WR. 

Right it’s the same thing we do when evaluating players & coaches, name their strengths & weaknesses

4 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Nobody is saying that Robinson isn't doing a good job. But he whiffed last offseason and strengthening our offensive weaknesses -- interior OL and WR. 

Eh, I don't know that that's fair, considering that they were just a year out from drafting two receivers and a tight end in the same draft, and the same length of time removed from having the top offensive line in the league with the exact same makeup.  Putting too much draft capital into a single position is unwise, generally.  A lot of 20/20 hindsight in the criticism of JRob IMO.