2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

I think you guys are hung up by name way too much. Bill B. is the best coach ever and can put people in place to do really well. He knows what he can get out of the guys that he has to work with. I hate the idea of the Pats do this so lets do it. First off Brady takes MASSIVE pay cuts to put money in other spots. No team has that advantage. The second thing Bill does is get guys who teams give up on from Moss, Van Noy, Welker, Trent Brown, and a bunch of others. Heck guys will leave and play like crap then come back and do well again like D. Branch. The third thing he does well is get guys that no one even looks at like Andrews who is UDFA and others to start for him. The fourth thing he does well is cut bait when he knows in a year or 2 the player will start to decline so he can get MAX value for them. This is why the league has been so far behind the curve. They have so much advantage over the other teams not just the AFC east teams. The league has to STOP BEING LIKR THE PATS and start to learn how to beat them. You have to find different and new angles to go after them. 

On 2/3/2019 at 11:58 AM, jetskid007 said:

In addition to the list above, I think we will be finalists for the following Unrestricted FAs...

• Dante Fowler, DE, Los Angeles Rams (24) - our front office has long had an affinity for Fowler so don’t be surprised to see us overpay for him. 
  • Le’Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh (27) - We’ve addressed this at length. 
  • Matt Paradis, C, Denver (29) - there are a lot of links between Paradis and the Jets organization. Maybe we entertain a younger option in Mitch Morse if he hits the market, but I feel like Paradis will be the guy we go hard for with Spencer Long possibly returning to compete at LG.

Other than these 3 guys, it’s kind of hard to know what approach the Jets will take without knowing how the coaching staff views some of our players/what scheme we’ll implement (i.e. maybe Gase intends to use Enunwa strictly in the slot, as he did Landry)

I hope we don’t go after Fowler, he is not very good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think you guys are hung up by name way too much. Bill B. is the best coach ever and can put people in place to do really well. He knows what he can get out of the guys that he has to work with. I hate the idea of the Pats do this so lets do it. First off Brady takes MASSIVE pay cuts to put money in other spots. No team has that advantage. The second thing Bill does is get guys who teams give up on from Moss, Van Noy, Welker, Trent Brown, and a bunch of others. Heck guys will leave and play like crap then come back and do well again like D. Branch. The third thing he does well is get guys that no one even looks at like Andrews who is UDFA and others to start for him. The fourth thing he does well is cut bait when he knows in a year or 2 the player will start to decline so he can get MAX value for them. This is why the league has been so far behind the curve. They have so much advantage over the other teams not just the AFC east teams. The league has to STOP BEING LIKR THE PATS and start to learn how to beat them. You have to find different and new angles to go after them. 

Your are right, how does he know what guys to pick? Like Trey Flowers, got him in the fourth round, Kyle Van Noy was  a second round pick by the Lions. And the list goes on. It sure looks like his goal in every up coming games he has is to shut down the top two players on what ever team he is playing.

I don’t think Anthony Barr is being talked about enough when discussing FA edge rushers. There is a faction across the league that believes he has been misused in Zimmer’s defense and that his best position is as an edge rusher. Analytics seem to back that up, especially this past season where he struggled in a couple other areas but had the best pass-rushing productivity of any LB in the league. I fully expect a few teams to treat Barr as an edge rusher in free agency, both in their utilization of him as well as the kind of contract they would be willing to offer. Hopefully the Jets are one of those teams.

As far as his utilization under Gregg Williams, I think there are two trains of thought on how to use him. The first and most logical one would be to employ Barr as a pass rushing SLB in base and a DE/EDGE in sub packages. The other would be to use him full-time as the rush DE (or weakside end). Doing so would come with plenty of risk, considering the contract he will demand and the fact that you’d be asking him to learn an entirely new position. It’s an interesting idea though considering his best skill might be his pursuit. Maybe it’s the kind of forward and outside the box thinking needed to fill a position of need with a true impact player in free agency.

Edited by BlaZeN37

1 hour ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I don’t think Anthony Barr is being talked about enough when discussing FA edge rushers. There is a faction across the league that believes he has been misused in Zimmer’s defense and that his best position is as an edge rusher. Analytics seem to back that up, especially this past season where he struggled in a couple other areas but had the best pass-rushing productivity of any LB in the league. I fully expect a few teams to treat Barr as an edge rusher in free agency, both in their utilization of him as well as the kind of contract they would be willing to offer. Hopefully the Jets are one of those teams.

As far as his utilization under Gregg Williams, I think there are two trains of thought on how to use him. The first and most logical one would be to employ Barr as a pass rushing SLB in base and a DE/EDGE in sub packages. The other would be to use him full-time as the rush DE (or weakside end). Doing so would come with plenty of risk, considering the contract he will demand and the fact that you’d be asking him to learn an entirely new position. It’s an interesting idea though considering his best skill might be his pursuit. Maybe it’s the kind of forward and outside the box thinking needed to fill a position of need with a true impact player in free agency.

I know I’d be all for going after Barr. I question more him actual hitting FA. Minnesota isn’t in a good money situation. But with probably moving on from Griffin. They can’t really lose both Him and Barr. I think they get a couple restructures and cuts to get cap for him. 

2 hours ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I think he'll be on our radar, but not sure how I feel about him at DE. I'd be on board with playing him at SLB and allowing him to rush the passer more often than they did in MIN though

52 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think he'll be on our radar, but not sure how I feel about him at DE. I'd be on board with playing him at SLB and allowing him to rush the passer more often than they did in MIN though

Same. He is an excellent SAM and we need one badly. He should stay there.