DeShone Kizer announced starter

BwickRedux

53 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Osweiler is really a non-factor. Word is, the team has been making phone calls to shop him since day 1, and are continuing to do so.

Kessler has regressed to a point where he is worse than he was last year.

Hogan has improved to a point where he may be as good as Kessler was last year.

None of them are particularly good, so ranking them against each other is like picking your favorite turd in the bowl. Each one is still crap and needs to be flushed. 

In what way has Kessler regressed? He sucked in training camp last year that is why he was 3rd on the depth chart, he was actually serviceable in actual games though. It would be a stretch to say the other quarterbacks we trotted out last year were serviceable. He isn't glamorous or exciting in the least but he isn't garbage.

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

In what way has Kessler regressed? He sucked in training camp last year that is why he was 3rd on the depth chart, he was actually serviceable in actual games though. It would be a stretch to say the other quarterbacks we trotted out last year were serviceable. He isn't glamorous or exciting in the least but he isn't garbage.

He started this training camp taking first team reps and is now working with the scout team. People who have watched practice say he looks worst more often than he looks better. When you come into camp with your coach wanting you to win the job and you can't even hold on to it until game 1 of PRESEASON, chances are you've taken a step back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

He will learn better on the field than behind any of the lesser talents we have on the roster. 

The days of learning from the bench are over. All modern statistical data supports starting a QB early. 

Yeah I'm slowly changing me tune on sitting rookie QBs.   I think Kizer starting is a combination of the other 2 not taking control and Kizer's ability to learn.  I fully believe Hue wanted to let him sit and further prepare himself, but It seems as if Kizer is mastering it quicker than anticipation.

I think if we started the season again a team that wasn't not in the top 6 of the league we would all be thinking about starting Kizer differently. 

But it's against Pittsburgh so we don't want to have our talented rookie to lose his confidence against a super bowl contending team. 

I think we all are thinking how we should, but at the end of then day this is the right decision .

I don't have a problem starting Kizer or Kessler. I think Kessler gives us the best chance to win immediately but starting Kizer now may give us the better chance to win the the future. Starting Osweiler and my indifference in Hue as a coach would become a negative take on him.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

My only fear for a guy like Kizer is him getting sacked like crazy. However, I don't think that will be a major concern if the o-line plays like they should.

He seemed to show pretty good awareness so far too. Hopefully, the line plays well and we can keep him upright and he can keep his eyes downfield. 

12 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

Didn't see this anywhere else, but Kizer will be week 1 starter:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/08/deshone_kizer_wins_browns_star.html

as soon as i saw the title I looked for the writer

Mary Kay does her best to get clicks

Kizer will be starter we know that now, but I do agree with the possibility of Hogan being promoted to backup. He has the same type of skillset somewhat as Kizer. He's definetely looked better than Cody in every way. 

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

Kizer will be starter we know that now, but I do agree with the possibility of Hogan being promoted to backup. He has the same type of skillset somewhat as Kizer. He's definetely looked better than Cody in every way. 

I'm all for being critical of the local media, but figured it's worth saying that traditionally the writers of the story don't create their own headlines.

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

I 100% completely agree with that part of your comment. I was going to say something like that earlier today but just wrote it off. Hogan isnt nearly as gifted of a passer but I think with Hogan you wont have to completely change the playoff. Instead of being aggressive and attacking downfield like Kizer, Hogan can be safer but with Hogan you can have the QB type runs, the moving of the pocket type schemes because Hogan proved to have pretty good legs last year. 

6 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

Its official, Hue said so on a conference call

Also, important to note that Hue said specifically he's ready to commit through the ups and downs of rookie growing pains - this isn't gonna be a quick audition and hook if he doesn't do well

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BwickRedux said:

Also, important to note that Hue said specifically he's ready to commit through the ups and downs of rookie growing pains - this isn't gonna be a quick audition and hook if he doesn't do well

This is the most important part, imo. Let him make mistakes and struggle. That's what this year is for.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I 100% completely agree with that part of your comment. I was going to say something like that earlier today but just wrote it off. Hogan isnt nearly as gifted of a passer but I think with Hogan you wont have to completely change the playoff. Instead of being aggressive and attacking downfield like Kizer, Hogan can be safer but with Hogan you can have the QB type runs, the moving of the pocket type schemes because Hogan proved to have pretty good legs last year. 

Exactly and he showed it last night. 

I've completely given up on Cody