2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I've watched him play since his Freshman year. My in-laws are Michigan grads, we watch every game. He can play edge. He's not some elite edge bender and his role was not to be "let loose" in their defense. He may not be great at that spot, but he can play it and possibly develop into something there. Combine agility drills will be key 

A lot of the concerns being raised about Gary were raised about Cam Jordan when he was coming out of Cal a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

A lot of the concerns being raised about Gary were raised about Cam Jordan when he was coming out of Cal a few years ago. 

You see the thing is not that Gary is a bad player he’s just not worth the fourth overall pick, if he was available at 24 I would take him in a heartbeat. The Raiders need 2 true edge rusher in this draft not a hybrid DT/DE.  

Just now, Bitty 2.0 said:

You see the thing is not that Gary is a bad player he’s just not worth the fourth overall pick, if he was available at 24 I would take him in a heartbeat. The Raiders need 2 true edge rusher in this draft not a hybrid DT/DE.  

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

First, it's unlikely Gary will play much defensive tackle if he's drafted by the Raiders outside of 3rd and longs. Calling Gary a hybrid DE/DT is like calling any DE who ever lines up inside on long downs a DT/DE hybrid--including: Khalil Mack, Brandon Graham, Michael Bennett, Carlos Dunlap, etc.

Second, the Raiders need to generate a pass rush no matter where it comes from. Gary's ability to play inside/out gives the Raiders the ability to play more pass rushers on long downs than if he was only able to rush from the 7-9 tech against tackles. It just so happens Gary is proficient rushing from multiple spots on the line.

Third, your take would have the Raiders probably picking a worse and less versatile player. Outside of Bosa and Allen, the next edge rushers of note are: Gary, Sweat, Ferrell, and Burns. to me, the latter 3 are worse prospects than Gary. In fact, I'd probably take Gary over them even if Gary never rushed from the inside in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

If he can become a double-digit sack guy here then he's worth the 4th overall pick. After Joey Bosa the rankings are very subjective and it will depend on who we're high on. 

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I've been watching some Brian Burns tape and his bend is unbelievable. Is he too similar to Arden Key as an undersized edge for us to draft him?

Unless he bulks up, he looks like a 3-4 OLB. He's listed at 235. He's twitchy and can really bend the edge, but needs to add 15-20 lbs IMO to be a fit for the Raiders

30 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Unless he bulks up, he looks like a 3-4 OLB. He's listed at 235. He's twitchy and can really bend the edge, but needs to add 15-20 lbs IMO to be a fit for the Raiders

It'll be interesting to see how heavy he is at the combine. Even at 240-245 I'd be happy with him at 24 or 27. 

32 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

People are going to sleep on Ferrell. His technique, length and hand usage is top shelf. He's not a explosive edge bender, but he doesn't have to be. He wins multiple ways. 

Yeah, never really got the Ferrell hate. I don't think he has the upside of some of these other edge guys but he has one of the highest floors of any DL in the draft.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

People are going to sleep on Ferrell. His technique, length and hand usage is top shelf. He's not a explosive edge bender, but he doesn't have to be. He wins multiple ways. 

He's who I'd like if Bosa and Allen are gone. 

All of this chatter about who we are taking at 4 but I don't see much talk about Ed Oliver.  I think Oliver has to be in serious consideration at 4 if the big 3 (Bosa, Q WIllaims and Allen) are off the board.  He appears to be a stud who will be a very good player in the NFL.  

What are your thoughts on Oliver?

Archived