Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

37 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Yeah it was something along those lines.

I guess it's easier to make kicks for a team who doesn't have any purpose to win in non-pressure situations at your bitter rival's stadium in overtime.

That and it's easier to change the approach after having a massive failure and being it out of a job

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I wonder if preifer figures he'll have better job security in Cleveland

He survived a head coaching change once. It is hard to do that. Odds of it happening again are slim especially if that is accompanied by a GM change. Chances of an GM and/or coach change within 15 months is quite a bit higher than they have been at any point since Zimmer was hired.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

He survived a head coaching change once. It is hard to do that. Odds of it happening again are slim especially if that is accompanied by a GM change. Chances of an GM and/or coach change within 15 months is quite a bit higher than they have been at any point since Zimmer was hired.

I agree.

Zimmer AND Spielman are on a bit of a hot seat.

Kitchens has at least 4 years and Cleveland is his hometown.

I think it was an easy decision. 

I think alot of people believe Zimmers heat is hotter then it is. I think he could still survive a 8-8 season with a playoff miss, he will probably retire long before. Spielman is probably the hottest of the 2 but I dont see the wilfs making any changes with out something catastrophic.

45 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I agree.

Zimmer AND Spielman are on a bit of a hot seat.

Kitchens has at least 4 years and Cleveland is his hometown.

I think it was an easy decision. 

That’s optimistic given the ownership in Cleveland. 

5 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Exactly!

And I sense that is a large part of the problem. The team is not valuing offensive line on their draft boards as high as it should be relative to its importance to team success.  I think they value the importance of an offensive linemen that is projected to be an average starter about equally to the importance of a LB that is projected to be an average starter. Likewise, I think they value an offensive linemen that they project to be a pro bowl level player about the same as a LB that they project as a pro bowl player.

And that, IMO, is just wrong. That is where things are wrong. Offensive linemen are the most important position players on offense outside QB. 

Just as all would agree that a player that the team projects as the tenth best punter in the league shouldn't be drafted as high as a player that the team projects as the tenth best QB in the league, verily there is a difference between offensive linemen, TEs, RBs, LBers, safeties, CBs, etc...   That is where I see a major shortcoming in how the Vikings stack their draft board.

Is it a reach to draft a OG that you think will be the tenth best OG in the league when there is also a LBer that you think will be the 7th best LBer in the league available? That all comes down to team building philosophy.

I value offensive linemen higher than the Vikings have been valuing them. The fact that other teams in the league draft offensive linemen earlier that the Vikings think they should be drafted informs my thought that other teams in the league place more value on offensive lineman than the Vikings too.

Is the Vikings team building philosophy correct? Results have been mixed. Personally, I think they have close to zero chance of winning the trophy until they alter it to place more importance on the offensive line.

Since you bring that up....

Is it your opinion that the Vikings do not value defensive line high enough relative to its importance to team success? We've only drafted one DL in the first two rounds since 2006.

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Savage

Did you all read Coller's article about the conference today? I usually like most of his writing but man he was sour today. And I love it when media members get offended at a coach calling them out on false information. These guys sit here and criticize the coaches every move every game but can't take a little heat when it comes back on them. 

26 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

Did you all read Coller's article about the conference today? I usually like most of his writing but man he was sour today. And I love it when media members get offended at a coach calling them out on false information. These guys sit here and criticize the coaches every move every game but can't take a little heat when it comes back on them. 

Basically sums up the current state of CNN.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Since you bring that up....

Is it your opinion that the Vikings do not value defensive line high enough relative to its importance to team success? We've only drafted one DL in the first two rounds since 2006.

Somehow their mid and late picks work on DL. If they had one of the worst over and over, then they might prioritize their picks higher. Also, as has been pointed out, there are more talented DL available than OL, so the value is better late for them. That's the case again this year, way more DL talent than OL. 

Priefer, originally from Cleveland, agreed to join the Browns two days after they named Kitchens as head coach.

Priefer: “I am excited to work with Coach Kitchens, John Dorsey and the entire Browns organization. I will always remember my time spent with the Vikings and deeply appreciate everyone that I was able to work with during my time there. I want to thank the Wilf family, Coach Zimmer and Rick Spielman for everything.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/11/mn-vikings-mike-priefer-cleveland-browns-nfl-freddie-kitchens/

Archived