2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I would have to seriously think about it.  You would almost have to try to trade back up from 32.

The Chargers and Rams are looking for ILB.  Do you then hope to get Joseph or Pratt?  Colts are looking for CBs

Well, consider with that you named 3 teams, with the potential of 5-8 defensive prospects still being there.  I would be very intrigued by it.  I think the possibility of having the ammo to have 2 2nds is too much to past up, because we could get a very good WR in the 2nd.

This class is loaded in WR.  I will bet some very good WR can be gotten in the 5th rounds or later.  To me, the Wr run will be mid 2nd to end of 3rd.  By run I mean about 10-15 will come off the board.  The 10th Wr taken is still going to be a very good WR.

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

This class is loaded in WR.  I will bet some very good WR can be gotten in the 5th rounds or later.  To me, the Wr run will be mid 2nd to end of 3rd.  By run I mean about 10-15 will come off the board.  The 10th Wr taken is still going to be a very good WR.

I'm not debating you here, but I'd love to know who you rate in mid to later rounds?
I'm actually having a hard time liking receivers in this draft.
A mid rounder I think is under-rated is Demarcus Lodge.

Mid round being 4+?

Hunter Renfrow - Catches everything.  understands routes.  Is not going to take to top off a defense but is a great posession WR

Jakobi Myers - Good route runner

Jalen Hurd - raw talent with a lot of athletic ability.  Could start as a kickreturner.

David Stills - A bit raw but one of the better deep ball receivers in this draft.

Antoine Wesley - 6'5 decent route runner

Cody Thompson - one of my favorites.  lightning fast out of the breaks.  Can be had in the 5th to 6th round.  Has oven mitts on his hands but that is what jug machines are for.  Worth a 6th round gamble to get MBC like quickness out of his breaks.

To me the top 10 WR in the draft are

1. Metcalf
  2. AJ Brown
  3. K'Neal Harry
  4. Whiteside
  5. Harmon
  6. Paris Campbell
  7. Emanuel Hall
  8. Ridley
  9. McLaurin
  10. Samuels

28 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Hunter Renfrow - Catches everything.  understands routes.  Is not going to take to top off a defense but is a great posession WR

To pick on this one:

Eli Rogers and Ryan Switzer. Exact same thing. Draft Renfrow and at least one of them goes. 

Not saying the Steelers pick any of these WR.  Just that there is quality depth in the class.

Marquis Wimberly, WR, Texas A&M-Commerce.  6’1’’ receiver had 11.5’’ hands. that’s bigger than Ryan Pope, the 6’7’’ OT prospect from San Diego State. Reportedly has a 78’’ wingspan, to boot.  Runs good routes and fabulous hands

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Mid round being 4+?

Jalen Hurd - raw talent with a lot of athletic ability.  Could start as a kickreturner.

David Stills - A bit raw but one of the better deep ball receivers in this draft.

Cody Thompson - one of my favorites.  lightning fast out of the breaks.  Can be had in the 5th to 6th round.  Has oven mitts on his hands but that is what jug machines are for.  Worth a 6th round gamble to get MBC like quickness out of his breaks.

1. Metcalf
  2. AJ Brown
  3. K'Neal Harry
  4. Whiteside
  5. Harmon
  6. Paris Campbell
  7. Emanuel Hall
  8. Ridley
  9. McLaurin
  10. Samuels

No Hakeem Butler?

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Mid round being 4+?

1. Metcalf
  2. AJ Brown
  3. K'Neal Harry
  4. Whiteside
  5. Harmon
  6. Paris Campbell
  7. Emanuel Hall
  8. Ridley
  9. McLaurin
  10. Samuels

No love for Ratliff-Williams?

11 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think Butler will bust in the NFL.  I think he will struggle to get open.  He runs piss poor routes.  Counting on his size to win out.  He is this year's Devin Funchess.

Really? I know Butler is a little stiff but didn't he run in the 4.4s compared to Funchess who ran a 4.7? Also seems like Butler has much better hands/is better at jump balls and contested catches. 

I'm a huge fan of Miles Boykin in the 3rd/4th. Think he can be a more "consistent" Martavis Bryant and would be a 2nd round pick if this year's WR class wasn't so loaded. 

Butler has horrible hands.  Perhaps the jug machine can save him.   I would not draft a WR high that tends to fail on the major requirement for a WR.

Take him in the 3rd.  he is not better than the 10 I have listed.  He has potential but those hands. :S

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/4/3/18287634/2019-nfl-draft-5-prospects-the-steelers-should-target-in-the-draft-devin-bush-marquise-brown

Why I like Deandre Baker :-)

Fun fact that carries major significance: Baker played in 36 games for the Bulldogs during his career; from his tenth game onward, opposing receivers matched up against Baker scored precisely zero touchdowns. During the two-year stretch in which Baker held Division 1 competition scoreless, he faced off against some of the most formidable receivers in the NCAA, including potential first-rounder Marquise Brown, future first-rounder Jerry Jeudy, and current Falcons star Calvin Ridley. I’m spitballing, but Baker’s collegiate dominance should plainly demonstrate that he possesses the necessary technical proficiency to improve the prospects of whatever team is lucky enough to draft him.

Obvious “weaknesses” that will unfailingly tank Baker’s draft stock: Scouts, much like choosey suburban mean girls, will undoubtedly check Baker’s measurements and think “Ugh, I wish he was six-feet.” Baker I suppose can be considered kinda small (he’s 5-foot-11 and a double protein Chipotle bowl shy of 200 pounds), especially for a player destined to ply his trade as an outside cornerback, but that should not overshadow the fact that he held opposing receivers scoreless for two years. My take: Had Baker ran a better 40 (he 4.52 at the combine), he’d be the consensus top cornerback prospect.

Archived