2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

Murphy and Baker are kinda different guys and I’m weighing out those sides. 

Baker is long, plays the ball well, doesn’t get beat over the top easily. But he’s not a great tackler for his size, isn’t physical inside, and purely an outside corner. 

Murphy is long as well, plays the ball well, and is physical. But he gets beat at times deep, can sometimes lose track of the ball, and gets lost in the shuffle at times. 

I think given the way the NFL is moving give me Baker over Murphy. 

Honestly, I really just want them to get back to 'simple' drafting, and quit outsmarting themselves...picks like Burns and Edmunds...and frankly, the entire 2016 draft, were abominations. I just am hoping they get back to drafting BPA...positions, be darned. Yes, we need a top-flight CB...either go grab the guy you want, or sit tight and take BPA...no more of this..."Well, Burns is the next CB on our list, even though it goes from 1st Rd talent to 3rd Rd Talent...we missed out on X, so let's take Burns..."-mentality.  If the top CBs are gone, draft a TE, or ILB, or Edge...or even WR...if the value is there.

I used to have faith in Colbert to draft smart, but these last few years has me shaking my head...

I'm going to suggest what I think is probably going to be an understandably unpopular opinion. I feel very strongly that Byron Murphy would be worth drafting in the first round if he is there so would a guy like Brian Burns and maybe even AJ Brown at wide receiver. Overall however I do not love the first man of talent. I do understand that in order to trade back it requires someone who wants to trade up but if one of those clear first round Talent guys are not available at 20 it is my opinion that we should trade back and either a take a position of immediate need for be invest in an offensive lineman. Here is my logic let's say you draft Lindstrom in the second round I feel like he can eventually replace Ramon Foster and BJ Finney will eventually replace maurkice Pouncey. It pretty much solidifies your offensive line for the future I do understand that I doesn't do a darn thing for the right now. Alternatively at the offensive line you could take an offensive tackle the grill as a right tackle if you don't think Okafor is the guy. I'm not saying that's what I want us to do I'm just suggesting maybe an alternative line of thinking and like I said I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion and I'm okay with that I would much rather ask it a quarter or by some Act of God have Devin white fall to us.

On a side note does anyone think that Devin Bush's height is going to be an issue

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

Honestly, I really just want them to get back to 'simple' drafting, and quit outsmarting themselves...picks like Burns and Edmunds...and frankly, the entire 2016 draft, were abominations. I just am hoping they get back to drafting BPA...positions, be darned. Yes, we need a top-flight CB...either go grab the guy you want, or sit tight and take BPA...no more of this..."Well, Burns is the next CB on our list, even though it goes from 1st Rd talent to 3rd Rd Talent...we missed out on X, so let's take Burns..."-mentality.  If the top CBs are gone, draft a TE, or ILB, or Edge...or even WR...if the value is there.

I used to have faith in Colbert to draft smart, but these last few years has me shaking my head...

For almost any of the picks in the draft, a team must project them as a pro.  They have not gotten the training in college for the NFL game.  99% of college coaches teach the minimum to run their system.  Unless a team is picking players that shoot a gap to get to the QB ( not much thinking) all teams are projecting.  Most of the time, teams are wrong.  Sometimes they are right.  Colbert has been right more often than not.  I wonder if the coaches are not good teachers which is part of the problem.

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm going to suggest what I think is probably going to be an understandably unpopular opinion. I feel very strongly that Byron Murphy would be worth drafting in the first round if he is there so would a guy like Brian Burns and maybe even AJ Brown at wide receiver. Overall however I do not love the first man of talent. I do understand that in order to trade back it requires someone who wants to trade up but if one of those clear first round Talent guys are not available at 20 it is my opinion that we should trade back and either a take a position of immediate need for be invest in an offensive lineman. Here is my logic let's say you draft Lindstrom in the second round I feel like he can eventually replace Ramon Foster and BJ Finney will eventually replace maurkice Pouncey. It pretty much solidifies your offensive line for the future I do understand that I doesn't do a darn thing for the right now. Alternatively at the offensive line you could take an offensive tackle the grill as a right tackle if you don't think Okafor is the guy. I'm not saying that's what I want us to do I'm just suggesting maybe an alternative line of thinking and like I said I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion and I'm okay with that I would much rather ask it a quarter or by some Act of God have Devin white fall to us.

On a side note does anyone think that Devin Bush's height is going to be an issue

I'm not going to say I agree wholheartedly with your suggested scenario, but the most important aspect of that scenario you painted--not taking a guy not worthy of 1.20--is the right call. I would just take the BPA, whoever it is, TBH, since we are so flush with draft picks, but I would also love to see them go for the guy they want this year, instead of standing pat...

...I haven't followed near as close as usual, but is there a 'Troy Polamalu' player in this draft??  Not the position--I'm talking--uniqueness, coupled with talent...

...and remember, he was only 5'10", so, to answer your other question, well, of course it will be an issue, just like speed will be an issue for other guys...or whatever other physical limitation will be with some others...but his 40.5" Vertical, coupled with his speed, will help to negate it, somewhat.  I'd much rather take the talent of Bush over anyone who might be taller, bigger, and stronger, with speed, but no instincts, ability to shed, or the play-diagnostic skills that he is reported to have...that's the key.

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

For almost any of the picks in the draft, a team must project them as a pro.  They have not gotten the training in college for the NFL game.  99% of college coaches teach the minimum to run their system.  Unless a team is picking players that shoot a gap to get to the QB ( not much thinking) all teams are projecting.  Most of the time, teams are wrong.  Sometimes they are right.  Colbert has been right more often than not.  I wonder if the coaches are not good teachers which is part of the problem.

Very valid point, and something I have mentioned a few times in the past. It seems that Colbert, or Tomlin, project a player to be able to do certain things in the NFL, but howmany position coaches have we had to replace recently?? RB, LB, DB, ST...those were 4 I can name off the top of my head that the Steelers have attempted to upgrade recently; but we've also lost key coordinators on the D side, a WR coaching legend, and OL legend, most recently...so those hurt as well.

But, (and I know, we has fans and the media don't ALWAYS know what is real, and what is hype), the fact that in the last 3 years, 2016 and 2018 drafts, we took 1st Rd picks that had no right to be taken in the 1st--both were squarely 3rd Rd talents.  That's two 1st Rd draft picks--wasted.  and with Bud Dupree's less- than -stellar development, and JJ being a waste of space , that's 4 1st Round Busts, and one multi-season-lost, devastating injury in the last 6 drafts...Only 'hitting' on one 1st Rd pick...a late-1st, at that, has hampered this team greatly.

Remember when 1st Rd picks were the Steeler's/Colbert's 'bread-and-butter'??  The Steelers used to be hailed as one of the best 1st rd drafting teams in the league...

...in the 10 years, from 2003 to 2012, we only had two misses...and those misses??  They weren't even that bad. One was a 30th pick in a weak draft class, the other worked out great for about 3 years, then, well...

My whole point is that I would love to get back to those days...because the Steelers were known for taking steals, almost every year.  Now??  We're one of those laughing-stock teams..."The Steelers took who??  Did they confused as to which brother was who??" or "Man, the Steelers had one of the biggest 1st Rd reaches in 2016."  Those are our press lines, now.  Di we just get lucky with Watt?  Or was that an actual good decision??  I have no idea...

So, while coaching may have been subpar recently, there is ZERO doubt that we've also massively reached on a few picks in the last 6 years--even Shazier was reported as being a 5-10 pick reach.

The Steelers are coming up in the FF Conscious Mock.  Looks like they will have Murphy and Baker.  My 3rd would be M. Brown at WR.  But if the board did fall this way for the Steelers I predict Winovich is the pick

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The Steelers are coming up in the FF Conscious Mock.  Looks like they will have Murphy and Baker.  My 3rd would be M. Brown at WR.  But if the board did fall this way for the Steelers I predict Winovich is the pick

Yuck

I'd rather a corner than Winovich in the first.

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

This is directly the result of the college game being more about hiring recruiters more than coaches.  You are right about scheme... run enough for 'us' to win.  That is why I think we gotta look more at programs that are trying to do a good job at working with the pro game... the Alabamas, the Texases, The Georgias, LSU, etc... 

Example:  Is Baker more NFL ready than Murphy?  I'd say yes, but it more than a SEC vs. PAC 12... coaching-wise, who is making their kids more ready for the league??  How ready is Greedy??  He had one of the best CB coaches in the nation as his position coach.

Another thought--my draft crush last year was Wazzu's Herc Matafa'a.  I thought the kid was a good athlete and could move to a player, but in the end, he was a gap jumper who had no football IQ and is now... not playing football.

The other side is that NFL coaches HAVE to be great coaches... ala Munchack. I think we have two good ones now with Bradley and Austin in the backend.  

16 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I will go back to Deon Sanders at the combine.  He said none of the DBs were ready for the NFL.  All would have to learn their craft.

One could argue that is true for nearly every person drafted from today's college football.  You (should) draft the best person for your organization based on what you have seen him do on tape, how what he does fits with your scheme, with a nod to a position of current or near future need.

34 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I will go back to Deon Sanders at the combine.  He said none of the DBs were ready for the NFL.  All would have to learn their craft.

I have read several articles stating the top CBs in this years draft would be day 2 guys in other years.  

Archived