2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

I realistically believe that we have just above average overall talent on this roster.

Ben is a true difference maker, as well as TJ and Ju Ju.

The overall defense is definitely lacking and can't be quick fixed. In my opinion the best improvement that can be made to this team is couple of impact players and simply depth.

The offense needs an additional impact player at a skill position. The simplest or surest impact on this offense would be a playmaking TE. We are already at least 3 deep at WR and a fast RB would only serve as a #2 or #3 back. A receiving threat TE could be used in multiple formations and cause mismatches.

The defense needs a turnover creator at ILB or FS. Any other position would be simply for depth and a hopeful future starter. The only other possible exception would be a rotational pass rusher. I just don't see that as a difference maker this season.

If the draft is simplified to this formula with a premium on finding these impact players in the first 2-3 picks, then we can just take BPA the rest of the draft.

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

That's really crazy. I know his Combine footwork was atrocious but still, that's surprising. There aren't any legal issues that I'm aware of. What's going on with Greedy?

Could also be that people are comfortable enough with him as a prospect that they don't feel the extra attention is warranted. The Eifert comparison with situation makes me lean that way. 

Thats strange to me though, id really want to bring guys in and talk to them first or see them workout under my specific instruction. 

1 hour ago, oksteeler said:

I realistically believe that we have just above average overall talent on this roster.

Ben is a true difference maker, as well as TJ and Ju Ju.

The overall defense is definitely lacking and can't be quick fixed. In my opinion the best improvement that can be made to this team is couple of impact players and simply depth.

The offense needs an additional impact player at a skill position. The simplest or surest impact on this offense would be a playmaking TE. We are already at least 3 deep at WR and a fast RB would only serve as a #2 or #3 back. A receiving threat TE could be used in multiple formations and cause mismatches.

The defense needs a turnover creator at ILB or FS. Any other position would be simply for depth and a hopeful future starter. The only other possible exception would be a rotational pass rusher. I just don't see that as a difference maker this season.

If the draft is simplified to this formula with a premium on finding these impact players in the first 2-3 picks, then we can just take BPA the rest of the draft.

James played 50% of the offensive snaps last year...maybe not long term but I stated the biggest impact from the draft could be a dangerous #2 TE for this year

a CB doesn’t start over Haden/Nelson.....

a Edge doesn’t start over Bud

S and ILB(short of Devins) probably 50-50 at best to make more year 1 impact.

Dallas Goedert and his half dozen TDs(off of memory) last year would be nice.

13 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

James played 50% of the offensive snaps last year...maybe not long term but I stated the biggest impact from the draft could be a dangerous #2 TE for this year

a CB doesn’t start over Haden/Nelson.....

a Edge doesn’t start over Bud

S and ILB(short of Devins) probably 50-50 at best to make more year 1 impact.

Dallas Goedert and his half dozen TDs(off of memory) last year would be nice.

Rarely does any rookie get to start. All things considered, I think the 1st four picks need to be CB, ILB, OLB, and TE. The only position that gets playing time right away will be CB based on the talent available in this draft at the position the Steelers are drafting. CB is a huge need with Artie Burns flaming out. No reason to think Nelson will be any better than he was in KC. Haden has one year left, and there are few other real options after Hilton.

No question TE should be drafted with one of the first 4 Steelers picks, but McDonald is the starter and Grimble is #2. I don't think a rookie is going to get on the field much unless these guys get hurt.

Dupree has been adequate at best. The Steelers need a young player to challenge him for playing time, and perhaps to take over by season's end. Chickillo? Please.

I like the Barron signing, but Bostic and Williams are not long term solutions and have not been real difference makers.

4 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Rarely does any rookie get to start. All things considered, I think the 1st four picks need to be CB, ILB, OLB, and TE. The only position that gets playing time right away will be CB based on the talent available in this draft at the position the Steelers are drafting. CB is a huge need with Artie Burns flaming out. No reason to think Nelson will be any better than he was in KC. Haden has one year left, and there are few other real options after Hilton.

No question TE should be drafted with one of the first 4 Steelers picks, but McDonald is the starter and Grimble is #2. I don't think a rookie is going to get on the field much unless these guys get hurt.

Dupree has been adequate at best. The Steelers need a young player to challenge him for playing time, and perhaps to take over by season's end. Chickillo? Please.

I like the Barron signing, but Bostic and Williams are not long term solutions and have not been real difference makers.

Nelson is a solid #2 CB...Haden is starting to age so I do see the need for his replacement but I’m just speaking more in terms of year 1 impact.

Williams isn’t anything special but Steelers signed him long term and restructured him which means they’re fine with him long term...whether we like it or not.

Im not saying Bud is anything more than average but they seem to like him...least fit this year. Again I’m speaking on year 1 impact.

Im not discounting the long term needs at CB/ILB/Edge...just stating what I think makes the biggest year 1 impact, that’s all.

The more I look at Deandre Baker the more I like him. He’s my favorite CB and I would be happy if we took him. Of course, it all depends on how the board looks. I love his confidence. He’s 5’11 which is plenty tall and he has long arms. He’s a true lockdown corner. People that don’t think so are overthinking it.

1 thing to remember people is that outta the last 9 or so 2nd rd picks...the only 1 Tombert didn’t attend their pro day OR bring them in for visit was JuJu...

Basically we should have a pretty good idea who they might target...

My dark horse?....TE Sternberger from Texas AM.

So starting to think about other rounds.....I remember Maylock saying we were very specific about what pick we wanted, we've been really into Winovich.  I think he's the pick with that Oakland pick in the 3rd.  Murphy in the 1st feels like an almost lock to me.  It's the 2nd round pick that escaping me.  We go a few tweeter picks (between 20 and 52) visiting and we spent with, and I think we might be targeting a 2nd round move up.  And my darkhorse there is Nasir Adderly.  Then use the 4th on Stills.

1 - Murphy

2 - Adderly

3 - Winovich

4 - Sills

Moncreif - Sills - Washington rotate for the outside, Switzer on the inside, Juju as the 1 on offense.

Winovich - Dupree rotation, Adderly - Edmunds starting with Davis as the nickel-safety role, Murphy bumps Nelson inside on 3 CB sets.  Mike Hilton/Cam Sutton as the 4th corner.

14 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

1 thing to remember people is that outta the last 9 or so 2nd rd picks...the only 1 Tombert didn’t attend their pro day OR bring them in for visit was JuJu...

Basically we should have a pretty good idea who they might target...

My dark horse?....TE Sternberger from Texas AM.

Sternberger's been my guy the whole time. But I liked him a lot more when be was a Mid rd pick. 2nd is too costly imo. 

I will not be surprised if Winovich goes in the 1st.  Hopefully not to the Steelers.  There is a lot of rumors about the Eagles liking him.

I really do not think the Steelers draft a safety.  I still think it is CB & ILB in 1 and 2.  THey might throw a curve with getting a WR in the 2nd but I think they add a TE first.

35 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I will not be surprised if Winovich goes in the 1st.  Hopefully not to the Steelers.  There is a lot of rumors about the Eagles liking him.

I really do not think the Steelers draft a safety.  I still think it is CB & ILB in 1 and 2.  THey might throw a curve with getting a WR in the 2nd but I think they add a TE first.

Assuming CB in the 1st, what ILB in the 2nd? I'm not sure Wilson will be there. 

Badly worded.  CB and ILB are 1a and 1b.  Whichever has the BPA is the 1st pick.  My guess is that Bush and White are gone by 1.11.  I would guess that at least 1 of the CBs are gone.  In the 2nd you could get Wilson or Vosean Joseph.  If the later then he is not starting.  Joseph is very raw but also very like Shazier coming out of college.

11 hours ago, jebrick said:

I will not be surprised if Winovich goes in the 1st.

I would.  He's gained steam, has very underrated bend and strength.  But he was seen as a 5th rounder.  Rising that much in pre-draft process is very highly unlikely.  

Archived