2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

You know the more I think about this draft class the more I hate it.

Funny.  I disagree.  Get past the top 35 players and you get to some great depth.  Like any other draft that depth has flaws, and that's why they aren't first round picks.  But from 35-175 there is a WEALTH of depth to be had.  My issues is it's a bad draft FOR US because lots of these players are 'situational' guys and not every down players, and we are bad at mixing these guys in.

Hot take-ish question:

If Dwayne Haskins Jr were still on the board when we are up at 20...would you take him?

I'm beginning to think that I would.  He reminds me of young Big Ben.  Great arm, athletic enough, hard to take down, not a long term starter.  I would admit Rudolph was a bad choice, admit I got bigger issues, but also admit that bringing in Haskins also means I'm not cornered into paying Ben that much and I got a potential QB1 of the future.

If Haskins is on the board I get a bunch of picks from Jax or Miami who want to move up to get him.  I think some of these draftniks are nuts to put Lock or Jones in front of Haskins is nuts.  There is an argument that Murray should not be in front of Haskins.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If Haskins is on the board I get a bunch of picks from Jax or Miami who want to move up to get him.  I think some of these draftniks are nuts to put Lock or Jones in front of Haskins is nuts.  There is an argument that Murray should not be in front of Haskins.

That also means that they passed on him once before.

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

So what are we missing if teams desperate for a QB pass on him?  If Miami does not take a QB in Rd1 they are getting ready to moneyball this year.  They have so many holes

Miami fans seem to think they are gonna tank for Tua. They have a washed up QB, an average at best RB and unimpressive WRs. Whether that was the plan or not there's a good chance it happens. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Funny.  I disagree.  Get past the top 35 players and you get to some great depth.  Like any other draft that depth has flaws, and that's why they aren't first round picks.  But from 35-175 there is a WEALTH of depth to be had.

Me too.  I almost wish we would trade DOWN and not reach for Bush.  Let the QB and OL needy teams come up to 20 and get their guys, and get additional 2-4 round picks.  Hell, even package some of the 6ths together and get back into the end of the 4th for another pre-200 pick.  I'd take 5-6 players in this range all day long.

Even if they are situational players, I would take guys like Omenihu, Isabella, Savage, Moreau/Wesco, David Long, and I. Johnson and call it a day.  Throw in a late RB and a K and that looks good to me.

57 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That also means that they passed on him once before.

Or they did not expect him to still be there.  If Miami takes an OT at 11, that is the plan.  If Haskins is at #20, they might be tempted to make a deal.  Come back up for some picks this year.  They will still sit him and tank, but they will have the QB they want and also get the OT they need.

What would people think about taking Christian Wilkins or Dexter Lawrence in the 1st? I wouldn't be opposed to either depending on how the board shook out. I think interior pressure trumps edge pressure and both of those guys would help with that. Interior pressure and sticky corners is how to build a great defense IMO. I'm starting to think that our need at ILB can take a backseat. Look at how Wade builds his defenses. Interior pressure, sticky corners, and athletic, versatile safeties. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What would people think about taking Christian Wilkins or Dexter Lawrence in the 1st? I wouldn't be opposed to either depending on how the board shook out. I think interior pressure trumps edge pressure and both of those guys would help with that. Interior pressure and sticky corners is how to build a great defense IMO. I'm starting to think that our need at ILB can take a backseat. Look at how Wade builds his defenses. Interior pressure, sticky corners, and athletic, versatile safeties. 

I would take either.  Wilkins would be BPA at 1.20.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Something to keep an eye on:

Historically the Ravens pick comes from their last 4 'top 30' visits.  In the week heading up to the draft they are hosting Devin White and Devin Bush.  They pick 22.

unless the ravens trade away picks next year, i dont think they have the ammo to jump ahead of us this year unless they are willing to trade both their 3rd rounders . without a second rounder this year, that would leave the rats pretty thin at picks this year

52 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Me too.  I almost wish we would trade DOWN and not reach for Bush.  Let the QB and OL needy teams come up to 20 and get their guys, and get additional 2-4 round picks.  Hell, even package some of the 6ths together and get back into the end of the 4th for another pre-200 pick.  I'd take 5-6 players in this range all day long.

Even if they are situational players, I would take guys like Omenihu, Isabella, Savage, Moreau/Wesco, David Long, and I. Johnson and call it a day.  Throw in a late RB and a K and that looks good to me.

100% agree. i too think there is a ton of talent in rounds 2-5(plenty of 3-4 round wrs and lots of 4-5 round rbs)

our 6th and 7th gets us back into the 5th and our other (2) 6's get us back into the 5th. if that would happen along with an  extra late 3rd for trading back would be awesome.

Archived