2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Hot take-ish question:

If Dwayne Haskins Jr were still on the board when we are up at 20...would you take him?

I'm beginning to think that I would.  He reminds me of young Big Ben.  Great arm, athletic enough, hard to take down, not a long term starter.  I would admit Rudolph was a bad choice, admit I got bigger issues, but also admit that bringing in Haskins also means I'm not cornered into paying Ben that much and I got a potential QB1 of the future.

Yeah, no. I am not saying Rudolph is going to be great. I just don't know. No one does. However, the Steelers stated they had a 1st round grade on him. So, they're going to give him a year or two to show them what he is capable of. If he were in this draft class, he would be top 3. 

If Haskins is still there, and the top 2 guys the Steelers wanted are off the board, they should fleece some team for as much as they can get, IMO.

That said, the Steelers historically do not draft that way. They'll take the next person on their board.

So I know I might get some harsh looks with this one but I see Clelin Ferrell as a similar player to Khalil Mack. Not overly bendy or crazy juiced up, but tons of power, tons of technique, and freakishly long arms. I love his long arm move and I see that as one of the premier pass rushing moves today. He needs to work on his agility but that is not impossible. We see that all the time. I like him a lot and I'd probably take him even if Bush was available. I know I just spoke up about the lessening value in edge rushers but I think Ferrell is going to be very good. Plus, he already plays the run at a high level.

34 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Ferrell is not nearly as explosive as Mack but otherwise he is a very good passrusher

He isn't but I think that is something that slimming down could help. Maybe lose 10lbs and get to work with a speed/agility coach. That should help him with his weaknesses. Of course, he could be maxed out and never get that much better. I just like him.

17 hours ago, muncher said:

agreed on the draft range but really hope they dont trade up at all. i actually hope they trade back a few spots and grab another  late 3rd early 4th

i know we already have 10 but i can see us needing 10 upgrades  or use a few later picks to move back into 4th or 5th rounds

i am not a huge bush fan. for some reason i think he is really being over hyped. 

i think there will be plenty of value at the positions we need the first 5 rounds............

6 picks in the first 5 rounds and lets use our additional 6's to get back into the 5th

If we miss out on Bush, I'd like a trade back as well but it is just not the Steelers way, so I'm not holding out any hope there.  If Bush is gone, I honestly have no idea where they will go.  There isn't really any match regarding value and need, if the draft goes as many expect it to go.

53 minutes ago, Steelers22 said:

If we miss out on Bush, I'd like a trade back as well but it is just not the Steelers way, so I'm not holding out any hope there.  If Bush is gone, I honestly have no idea where they will go.  There isn't really any match regarding value and need, if the draft goes as many expect it to go.

i will be upset if the following happens:

we give up anything more than a 5 rounder to move up in the first(which is only worth a couple spots) (short of player projected in top-10 of course)

we draft a qb, wr, g, c, ot, p, k, rb, ls in the first

we draft a TE not named hockenson in the first

so as long as they dont reach for a second rounder at #20, im good with cb, ilb, olb , dt and hockenson

i agree tho, it looks like the value at #20 will be a cb unless a couple players fall

I actually expect a couple CBs to go higher than projected. Likely not top 10, but higher than 20. If a few QBs also go top 20, the Steelers should have a very good option.

I don't know why, but my gut is preparing for Chase Winovich at 1.20. I'm hoping it's just a hangover from last year's reach.

13 hours ago, warfelg said:

Hot take-ish question:

If Dwayne Haskins Jr were still on the board when we are up at 20...would you take him?

I'm beginning to think that I would.  He reminds me of young Big Ben.  Great arm, athletic enough, hard to take down, not a long term starter.  I would admit Rudolph was a bad choice, admit I got bigger issues, but also admit that bringing in Haskins also means I'm not cornered into paying Ben that much and I got a potential QB1 of the future.

No - because I don’t know when Ben calls it quits, and he is still our best shot. For the reasons of top assets going to a useless (mostly) player and the idea that you won’t get to take advantage of multiple years of really good QB contracts. 

Its the real problem I have with Mason last year. I assume Ben plays 3 more seasons. That puts us immediately into the end of Masons contract where we either blindly pay $15-$20 in QB money or cut bait and have wasted a third round pick in dire talent needed years. 

Personally, I’m not taking our next QB until our current QB is done. I want to maximize those early QB contract years with the most talented roster I can make. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Winovich would be so against what Tomlin has drafted his entire time.  Chase is 24.  I am not sure Tomlin has drafted a 24 year old in any round.

but wasnt he the only one that they had dinner with?

im scared and confused.........

9 hours ago, muncher said:

Yea it shows they like him.

Personally I see him as a very likely rd 2 target of theirs.

9 hours ago, muncher said:

At Michigan? No. Overall? No. They did go out with Devin Bush when in Ann Harbor. They went out to dinners with a few other guys through the visits. And it was a Rooney Nephew and KC at dinner with Chase. Tomlin wasn’t there. 

Archived