Packers to Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

49erurtaza

14 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

There were several times throughout the season where you could see the inexperience shine through (most notably going empty backfield on a 2 point attempt vs the Chargers, basically tipping that it was going to be a pass attempt).

QB draw bro. Works with Mariota in Madden every time.

13 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yup. Pretty close to throwing in the towel on Mariota at this point, he's had a new OC almost every single year.

Alex Smith had like 7 in 7, I believe. He was salvaged. Don't lose hope!

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Ah, yes. Titans fans will rest easy knowing that some day, Mariota will go elsewhere and look pretty good for a couple seasons.

He was okay under harbaugh. We got a solid 1.5 seasons from him! 

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I honestly don't see the hype. What did the Titans do so great offensively this year to warrant LaFleur being a top candidate? Sure, the Rams offense last year was great but that's probably mostly McVay. Do people view him as being a top candidate thinking he will be able to bring over McVay's success or is there other reasons of merit I'm not seeing?

To be fair,  McCarthy didn't have much success as an OC with Niners in 2005 and he had a pretty good run with the Packers. 

Also, we don't know what attributes he showed behind the scene. 

Just now, ravishingone said:

Agreed, and Monken has prior HC experience.  I guess the Pack preferred West Coast over Air Coryell.

Yeah, scheme fit might have been the same reason why Monken was passed over.   It's just kinda curious that he was a strong candidate though if the scheme fit was bad.

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

I'm still of the firm opinion that talent wins out 9/10. You can only polish a turd so much. Maybe the packers thought he overachieved on the titans? Do they have much talent on O?

Lost Walker for the year week 1, Jack Conklin was bothered by injuries all year, Mariota didn't have feeling in his throwing hand for half the season, and it took Eddie George knocking some sense in to Derrick Henry for him to play like he should. So yeah, I'd say there's arguments he overachieved at times.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, scheme fit might have been the same reason why Monken was passed over.   It's just kinda curious that he was a strong candidate though if the scheme fit was bad.

Hard to say, Monken has the better resume with results.  The only thing I wonder about Monken is he doesn t have a problem calling out players.  Can that ruffle some feathers, even when justified?  Sure can. I think it helps LaFleur that he is viewed as more vanilla personality.

Archived