Cardinals Hire Kliff Kingsburry as next Head Coach

49erurtaza

people are really doubting Kliff

I would not be surprised at all to see him be extremely successful 

some people are beginning to underrate this dude does know his offense

and I think with a strong staff he could be a very good HC

dont let Tech fool you he can coach 

16 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Taking credit for mahomes is stupid, he can run, throw the ball 80 yards, is accurate and a good guy that loves football. 

Sure he may have helped, but let's not pretend he made the man.

What?

Who gets credit for Mahomes if not Kingsbury and Texas Tech?

Why was Tech his only Power 5 offer coming out of HS until Oklahoma State came in late, when he was already committed and 100% going to Tech?

19 hours ago, Texans02 said:

Umm... he chose Davis Webb over Mayfield. Mahomes came later. How does that choice look now?

Oh, speaking of Mahomes, Kliff also had a sub-.500 record in the two years he had this year's NFL MVP running the show.

But I'm sure he's just a misunderstood genius that Tech couldn't properly appreciate.

Spike Dykes, Mike Leach and even Tommy Tuberville had winning records at Tech, even though the talent pool was likely even worse for them. Leach had to win with garbage-tier QBs like Kliff Kingsbury, and he won a lot.

Before the obvious retort: I didn't go to Tech and I relish watching them lose.

Webb was better than Mayfield as a freshman. Kliff didn't choose either.

Michael Brewer was a redshirt sophomore who was going to start, he gets hurt in camp and misses the whole season. Webb was the backup but came down with an illness, lost a bunch of weight and was unable to go. That left Mayfield.

Mayfield lit up scrub teams like SMU and SFA. He struggled vs TCU (Webb came in and threw the GW touchdown pass late) and Texas State. Then he plays Kansas, was decent, but got hurt.

Webb starts with Mayfield hurt, and plays well vs Iowa State, WVU, OU and OSU. Mayfield is now healthy again and starts vs KSU. Mayfield sucks vs KSU but remains the starter. He plays well vs Baylor, but then craps the bed vs Texas. Season ends on a 5 game losing streak.

Mayfield wanted to be assured he was the starter moving forward. Kliff says it's an open competition. Mayfield ******* his way out of Lubbock.

Davis Webb starts the bowl game and lights up #12 Arizona State in a Tech win.

You're welcome on the history lesson.

19 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

@TheVillain112makes a good point. College is about recruiting much more than it is about coaching. And he coached at Tech. When was the last time Tech were even good and at Tech your sole recruiting base is Texas and you have to compete with UT & TeXas A&M to say the least. You’re winning jack at Tech.

That's an excuse. Different sports but our baseball team has gone to Omaha 3x in the last 5 years, and is ranked #5 in this years preseason poll. Our basketball team went to the Elite Eight last year and currently sits ranked #8 in the nation at 14-1 with our only loss to #1 Duke on a neutral floor.

You can win at Texas Tech. Kliff's biggest issue was recruiting, but that wasn't because of Texas Tech, that was because Kliff didn't give two ****s about recruiting, was also a lousy recruiter, and had a staff full of bad recruiters on top of that.

He won't have to recruit in the NFL but that still falls on him and he gets the blame for that.

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Very interested to see how he does. Im a TTU alum and always have cheered for him as a player and coach. As a Jets fan I wanted him to be our next coach, but felt McCarthy is better suited for our job. McCarthy is my 1A and KK was my 1B. Will be for sure following how he does with Rosen and co.

We need more Tech fans on the board. You should post in the CFB forum every once in a while too, I need backup haha.

23 hours ago, brownie man said:

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cmon man this dude found Mahomes and Baker and even Davis Webb to an extent 

no one is ever gonna make Lubbock work 

he did his part get him to the league with an even playing field and I think he can do well

He "found" Mahomes while on a visit to go see current Chargers WR Dylan Cantrell. Cantrell was a senior committed to Tech and at the time Mahomes had just started playing QB as a junior.

Baker was a walk on, Kliff gets credit for coaching him up but he didn't go out and recruit him either.

Webb was a highly ranked 3* prospect with offers to multiple other P5 schools, he committed to Tommy Tuberville and the old staff. He was an easy take in a transition class.

"No one us ever gonna make Lubbock work."

nbdY0iJ.png

#wrong

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To add to this, he seemingly gets credit for Baker’s success, but I’m not sure why?

Dude played 5 games there as a true walk-on freshman, it’s not like he had time to develop him.  Kid came in ready to play.

On top of that he didn’t think enough of him to give him a scholarship once he had an up close look at him for an entire season.  This is a future Heisman winner and number one overall pick mind you.

He played in more than 5 games, in fact he started 8 I want to say. He did not come in "ready to play", he was the 3rd string when the two in front of him got hurt/sick he was the only option.

This story has been rehashed 1000x, Baker was going to be put on scholarship in the spring. There is no true freshman walk on in the history of college football who was also put on scholarship in the fall of his freshman year. It just doesn't work that way.

Why would Kingsbury not give his starting QB a scholarship? Do you people (#TeamBaker) really think he's that dumb?

Archived