DEN hires CHI DC Vic Fangio as HC

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, the structural idea of seperating accountability for Defense and Offense is going to be a disaster.

I actually like Vic, but I expect this to crash and burn. You need someone at the top accountable, someone who cant shift the blame. Thats the point of a HC. No finger pointing, the **** rolls uphill. That sort of thing.

This makes 2019 about one thing, Elway. He has made himself the accountable partner in my eyes. Should this idea of two kings not work, he should be the one to hold all the blame, and be held accountable in the same way a HC would be. If this doesnt work, like a HC that failed, he should get the boot. Its all on him now.

This is the key IMO. Elway is throwing all his chips on this one. If this fails Elway is going out with everyone else. It definitely could work. I don't object to Kubiak's presence. I think he can be a valuable resource. However, as many have said, there has to be clear lines of delineation. Hopefully, that will happen

11 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, the structural idea of seperating accountability for Defense and Offense is going to be a disaster.

I actually like Vic, but I expect this to crash and burn. You need someone at the top accountable, someone who cant shift the blame. Thats the point of a HC. No finger pointing, the **** rolls uphill. That sort of thing.

This makes 2019 about one thing, Elway. He has made himself the accountable partner in my eyes. Should this idea of two kings not work, he should be the one to hold all the blame, and be held accountable in the same way a HC would be. If this doesnt work, like a HC that failed, he should get the boot. Its all on him now.

As a DC I like Fangio.  As a HC no idea.  But yeah make no mistake this is all about Elway.  Succeed or fail he’s really stamping his control on this set of coaches.  

This and the QBOTF we get this year or next decides if Elway has a future beyond 2020.  His success has earned him leash and he deserved it - but 5 years of struggle post SB and Elway firmly in charge, well leash only goes so far.    2016 I think everyone could see.  But if this fails then it’s hard to see any good franchise sticking with 4 failed years with that level of control with any GM, even a former great.  

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And more importantly, the QB evaluation.  Hopefully they have learned from the past much like how Elway’s past draft struggles culminating in 2017 led him to overhaul his draft strategy.   If they have maybe there’s hope.  If they haven’t this hire cycle won’t matter as much either way.   The fact Elway hasn’t ceded any overall control is concerning given the results that method created the last 2 years (2016 was inevitable after our loss of talent I will give a pass there). 

I do look forward to Fangio’s pressers if we struggle on O.   Entertaining as h*** if nothing else lol. 

Totally agree. I remain concerned with the QB evaluation and what types of QBs Gary prefers despite the fact that I think he is a great offensive mind. 

Ideally, Vic Fangio and John Elway would like a young coach to become offensive coordinator with Gary Kubiak serving in a broader offensive role. Kubiak resigned as head coach for health reasons two years ago. OC still to be determined. #9sports- Mike Klis

This was Klis a short while ago. This is the arrangement I think is most beneficial. 

7 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

This was Klis a short while ago. This is the arrangement I think is most beneficial. 

In theory it can work.  But I’d be surprised if Taylor (or another guy seen as an up and comer) joins.   If it’s a young guy to be groomed it’s likely going to be someone with no prospects of early OC promotion.   It’s probably going to be someone less known in that case. 

I’d love to be wrong here but if there’s a promising young guy he’ll see 3 different people he’s potentially answering to (Kubiak, Elway & Fangio).    That’s not ideal to say the least.  It can still work but I’d be surprised if it’s a promising OC talent - more of that out of blue hire.  

11 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

I want Kubiak no where near any play calling duties or his son as QB coach but I imagine that’s what’s going to end up happening. Defensively a good hire though, will need much better DB and LB play though.

If Klint Kubiak is named as that up and comer man I think @AnAngryAmerican won’t need medical testing to find out if his coronary arteries are clean the announcement will do the job of screening him.   😳

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is really good.

I am not sure how he will be as a HC, but there will be 0 bull **** with him.

Personally, I think Elway is an issue so I am not sure Vic can overcome that.

If this crashes and burns, I think Elway and Kubiak will be the ones who are shown the door and Vic will be given a second chance to try it his way. 

I honestly thought it would be munchak. A bit of a duality with this hire. On one hand we got a great defensive mind but we have no clue how he’ll be as a HC. It also applies to kubiak being OC, he’s clearly a good OC but can he evolve and improve our QB play with an average QB. Scary times.

3 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

In press conferences, expect him to answer questions extremely directly with no sugar-coating it.  Reminds me a bit of belichik that he'll take no **** from the media if they ask a dumb question

No, he says nothing but coach media speak cliches.  Like Belichick. 

Advantageous is some ways.  Unless you win like Belichick though media will turn on you for not helping them.  

They should bring in John Fox and get whole gang back together.  Finally people going from Bears to Denver rather than Denver to Bears.  

28 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

If this crashes and burns, I think Elway and Kubiak will be the ones who are shown the door and Vic will be given a second chance to try it his way. 

I suspect this setup is going to be given 2 years at minimum even if we struggle next year.  Very few times is a new HC fired year 1.  Keim did it in ARI but that was because he had no business hiring Mike McCoy as OC.   Wilks was just collateral damage to get an innovative O mind (with huge risk) to take over.   And who other teams wanted so had to go HC (the big risk turning huge).  

I don’t see that type of decision in DEN simply because 1) Elway has too much capital and 2) having Keenum as our QB gives an out to give this setup at least 2 years before deciding; and 3) after firing VJ after 2 years to fire a new HC after 1 year would deter any good HC candidate from considering us.  For better or worse we are married to this overall setup with Elway/Fangio for 2 years.   The only candidate in the hot seat and not locked in for 2020 are Kubiak / OC, depending on who the OC is - if the O is a disaster (and even moreso if Keenum is as bad as this year), given Kubiak stumped hard for Keenum, he won’t be given as much leeway.  

The players acknowledge we are rebuilding.   It’s hard to see this setup being given less than 2 years given that, even if it struggles. 

Archived