Around The League V.2

Totty

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

My goodness, it’s 3 games people! He’ll be just fine, he’s been open but the QB just hasn’t found him plus he’s been tasked with blocking Watt one on one, not many rookies could do that and hold their own. He’ll be just fine.

Oh I fully believe in Mayer still, I even bought a custom jersey of him. I’m just venting because our offense is trash and McD has done a bad job of getting Mayer involved. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

And if you remember the "consensus" gave us a much higher "draft grade" than them. Smh

A draft class shouldn't be judged 4 weeks into the season. Coaching, supporting cast and opportunity matter. The Lions are sound in the trenches. Ben Johnson looks like the real deal right now calling that offense.

Dan Campbell went from meathead rookie head coach. Went 3-13-1. Year 2, started 1-6, everyone wants him fired. Wins 8 of the last 10. Now in year 3, has built the team in exactly the image he intended. 

Why I preach giving guys 3 years to implement their vision. Detroit looked like a disaster until midseason last year and then it clicked. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

A draft class shouldn't be judged 4 weeks into the season. Coaching, supporting cast and opportunity matter. The Lions are sound in the trenches. Ben Johnson looks like the real deal right now calling that offense.

Dan Campbell went from meathead rookie head coach. Went 3-13-1. Year 2, started 1-6, everyone wants him fired. Wins 8 of the last 10. Now in year 3, has built the team in exactly the image he intended. 

Why I preach giving guys 3 years to implement their vision. Detroit looked like a disaster until midseason last year and then it clicked. 

I brought up the draft picks and you brought up the coach.

Simply put, why are the lions draft picks look good while ours don't(despite what the consensus said at the time)?

But if we're going to talk about coaches then you would have to answer these questions as well:

Ben Johnson looks like the real deal calling plays. Why doesnt Mcdaniels(who has a much higher Pedegree for obvious reasons) have an offense thats scoring points like a Ben Johnson offense despite having more money invested into it? 

Last year both defenses couldn't stop the pass to save their lives. Why with the same off-season opportunities did the Lions actually improve their football team while we cant get a turnover to save our lives? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Simply put, why are the lions draft picks look good while ours don't(despite what the consensus said at the time)?

But if we're going to talk about coaches then you would have to answer these questions as well:

Ben Johnson looks like the real deal calling plays. Why doesnt Mcdaniels(who has a much higher Pedegree for obvious reasons) have an offense thats scoring points like a Ben Johnson offense despite having more money invested into it? 

Last year both defenses couldn't stop the pass to save their lives. Why with the same off-season opportunities did the Lions actually improve their football team while we cant get a turnover to save our lives? 

Well he just said it year 3 vs year 2

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

bro McDaniels is overrated. He is living off the Patriot brand. Brady carried those offense and they always had a great defense with Bill B. Everyone said, but Mac Jones was solid. He was good for a rookie, but Mac didn't set the world on fire. 

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

My goodness, it’s 3 games people! He’ll be just fine, he’s been open but the QB just hasn’t found him plus he’s been tasked with blocking Watt one on one, not many rookies could do that and hold their own. He’ll be just fine.

Better be cause on the route jimmy targeted mayer ended up being a pick. But don’t know if it was under thrown or if mayer didn’t box out the defender giving jimmy a good target. Imo mayer look so slow in his routes like he counting steps. Porta looks fast and polished

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Was det a playoff team when Dan took over?

8 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Oh I fully believe in Mayer still, I even bought a custom jersey of him. I’m just venting because our offense is trash and McD has done a bad job of getting Mayer involved. 

I thought it was strange for you to say that as you usually have some long term perspective and figured you were venting 😁😁 👍🏼

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

It’s a really good point.

On offence I think we’re just not executing properly plus we haven’t focussed our resources enough on the OLine maybe. 

On defence, maybe they are drafting better and maybe their coaching is better? I really am not sure but it’s a great question to ponder for sure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Better be cause on the route jimmy targeted mayer ended up being a pick. But don’t know if it was under thrown or if mayer didn’t box out the defender giving jimmy a good target. Imo mayer look so slow in his routes like he counting steps. Porta looks fast and polished

Looked like just a bad and late throw to me, looked like Mayers had a step and was moving into an open window. Maybe the plan was for him to box out the defender, who knows. 

Mayers is never going to be an elite athlete at the position but I was impressed he was trusted with blocking Watt one on one and did a great job. He’ll be just fine as an all round TE. I don’t want another Waller who’s flashy but can’t do the basics.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Looked like just a bad and late throw to me, looked like Mayers had a step and was moving into an open window. Maybe the plan was for him to box out the defender, who knows. 

Mayers is never going to be an elite athlete at the position but I was impressed he was trusted with blocking Watt one on one and did a great job. He’ll be just fine as an all round TE. I don’t want another Waller who’s flashy but can’t do the basics.

True we don’t know what the route was. I’ll give him and elu props blocking watt. They both still whiffed some but it was good seeing them win some reps

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Lions have had 13 top 100 picks since Campbell took over in 2021. They had 12,18,34,45,68,96 this past draft alone. You get that many chances, draft well then you are bound to see some early dividends. 

Oline is a big reason. Their Oline is exceptional with Decker, Ragnow and Sewell all first round picks. Sewell being among the best OT prospects in years to come out. Jonah Jackson was a 3rd round pick in 2020. And Goff is a solid QB to run the offense. 

The Lions defense is basically the same as last year. Outside Sutton and CJGJ (on IR). I would attribute it to coaching and development. But the big addition seems to be Brian Branch who fortified their secondary. And they have a lot of those draft picks who've developed in their 3rd year.

Basically, the Lions did what the Gruden regime failed to do. They traded Stafford, Hockensen and some other pieces to rebuild. Then nailed a lot of their picks. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1