Around The League V.2

Totty

On 2/4/2023 at 12:05 PM, Jeremy408 said:

We're not getting more than the first simply because of his age and contract. For example DeAndre Hopkins was traded to the Cardinals for a second and fourth round pick. We're looking at something along those lines.

BOB made some terrible decisions before he was fired in Houston, I wouldn't use them as a baseline. 

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He was successful with a QB that thrived because of his accuracy and ability to throw with anticipation. That's like Anti-Richardson.

And a top five defense that was taking the ball away better than everyone in the league. Don't forget that

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

And a top five defense that was taking the ball away better than everyone in the league. Don't forget that

That's fine. I'm referring to his scheme though, Mac/Brady both ran it well because they're accurate and throw with anticipation. Richardson doesn't fit that bill at all. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's fine. I'm referring to his scheme though, Mac/Brady both ran it well because they're accurate and throw with anticipation. Richardson doesn't fit that bill at all. 

Yeah but if that the same system was ran over here it wouldn't work because we don't stop people. The Mac Jones year Damien Harris scored 15 touchdowns that happens when the defense is getting turnovers(they had 23 interceptions that season which was second in the league) which causes the offense to usually start in field goal range. It's not as hard to score because you don't have to go the length of the field. Thats why Mac Jones only had 3200 yards. he didn't have to do much. 

Why that doesn't work for us despite having the NFL rushing leader? We don't intercept the ball(or stop anyone else from scoring for that matter). Yes I don't plan on division by there's only one other quarterback. We plan a division where there's two potentially three if Sean Payton can fix Russell Wilson.

Context and situation matter

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah but if that the same system was ran over here it wouldn't work because we don't stop people. The Mac Jones year Damien Harris scored 15 touchdowns that happens when the defense is getting turnovers(they had 23 interceptions that season which was second in the league) which causes the offense to usually start in field goal range. It's not as hard to score because you don't have to go the length of the field. Thats why Mac Jones only had 3200 yards. he didn't have to do much. 

Why that doesn't work for us despite having the NFL rushing leader? We don't intercept the ball(or stop anyone else from scoring for that matter). Yes I don't plan on division by there's only one other quarterback. We plan a division where there's two potentially three if Sean Payton can fix Russell Wilson.

Context and situation matter

That is all true, they had the 2nd best starting field position in the league and we had the 28th. They were significantly better in the red zone though. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

That is all true, they had the 2nd best starting field position in the league and we had the 28th. They were significantly better in the red zone though. 

Now I'm not denying that but it's different when you have more chances in the red zone because you don't have to go the whole length of the field. You're also better rested. And there's more margin for error. Finally you have to also look at who they played:

If you're playing the rebuilding Jets and the rebuilding dolphins that's four games out of your schedule. Against the Jets alone, they scored 25 points the first game and scored 54 points the second game)

They also played the Browns that year which was the year Baker Mayfield pitched it to the lineman and what was probably his worst game ever in the NFL. It's not a surprise they beat them 45–7.

The Panthers And Falcons who I've been picking in the top 10 for like the last 3-5 years. Both of those teams scored a combined six points against the Patriots while the patriots scored 24 & 25 in both of those games 

Jaguars that literally picked number one overall two times in a row. No surprise in that game the patriots beat them 50-10

There's a lot of reasons to believe that some of the stats that are always cited to say that McDaniels was really good with Mac Jones are actually inflated

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Now I'm not denying that but it's different when you have more chances in the red zone because you don't have to go the whole length of the field. You're also better rested. And there's more margin for error. Finally you have to also look at who they played:

If you're playing the rebuilding Jets and the rebuilding dolphins that's four games out of your schedule. Against the Jets alone, they scored 25 points the first game and scored 54 points the second game)

They also played the Browns that year which was the year Baker Mayfield pitched it to the lineman and what was probably his worst game ever in the NFL. It's not a surprise they beat them 45–7.

The Panthers And Falcons who I've been picking in the top 10 for like the last 3-5 years. Both of those teams scored a combined six points against the Patriots while the patriots scored 24 & 25 in both of those games 

Jaguars that literally picked number one overall two times in a row. No surprise in that game the patriots beat them 50-10

There's a lot of reasons to believe that some of the stats that are always cited to say that McDaniels was really good with Mac Jones are actually inflated

That's just football though, some teams just get breaks and others don't. I still think he did a good job with Mac as a rookie in New England. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's just football though, some teams just get breaks and others don't. I still think he did a good job with Mac as a rookie in New England. 

Sure I have no arguments with that. I'm simply saying that that doesn't mean much

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

Sure I have no arguments with that. I'm simply saying that that doesn't mean much

Even though the defense helped them he still put Mac and those guys in good spots to make plays. Regardless though I think his system is better suited for a player like Brady/Mac, a pocket passer that's accurate. Richardson doesn't really fit that mold and he's going to be like Lamar/Cam, etc. where you literally have to build your entire scheme around him for it to work. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Even though the defense helped them he still put Mac and those guys in good spots to make plays. Regardless though I think his system is better suited for a player like Brady/Mac, a pocket passer that's accurate. Richardson doesn't really fit that mold and he's going to be like Lamar/Cam, etc. where you literally have to build your entire scheme around him for it to work. 

Yeah but that's game management. You can only have game management when your defense is top five what's the expectation is that your defense is what wins the games not the offense. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah but that's game management. You can only have game management when your defense is top five what's the expectation is that your defense is what wins the games not the offense. 

You don't have to be a game manager to be accurate or throw with anticipation though. I wouldn't call Burrow a game manager and those are probably his two best traits. Richardson is one of the least accurate passers we've seen come into the league in a while and is going to require an offense that features a lot of RPOs, etc but that's not really what JMD likes to do. 

On 2/6/2023 at 3:06 AM, NYRaider said:

The Ravens / Lamar are reportedly way off on a deal right now, potentially as much as $100M.

And Doesn’t Lamar want it all guaranteed so that’d be 100M guaranteed apart.

How is that even possible?  That’s such a difference.  I can’t imagine the Ravens offered below 40m annually.  So is Lamar asking for 10yrs, 500M?!?

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

And Doesn’t Lamar want it all guaranteed so that’d be 100M guaranteed apart.

How is that even possible?  That’s such a difference.  I can’t imagine the Ravens offered below 40m annually.  So is Lamar asking for 10yrs, 500M?!?

I'd assume he wants like $240M, fully GTD, they're probably offering $240M but only $140M GTD.