Adam Gase hired to be the HC of the NYJ

jetskid007

9 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Gonna force myself to get excited about this starting tomorrow but damn idk this doesn't feel great right now.

At some point I’ll do the same. In the meantime I just smh. But I’ll go back and read the reports of when he was hired by Miami. Those should be ultra positive.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Same.  I don't think Vance is a bad hire, but I think we can do better.  

And my reasoning is that he shouldn't just hire people that he was with in Miami, because clearly that didn't go as well as he initially planned. 

If you read into it, he took it overboard in Miami. He was a bit of a control freak. He was a micro-managing CEO. Never a good strategy. 

• If he's going to micro-manage, stay focused on offense. Yes, still oversee the staff but give the defensive coordinator a bigger say in who plays, the game-plan and strategy. 
  • If you're going to be the CEO type, be committed to macro-managing.

What bothers me most about this hire is not that I don't think Gase can't be a good coach, it's that he hasn't had enough time to learn his mistakes in Miami. We can point to stats, wins & losses, and talent all we want - history shows that really good coaches don't always have the best statistics. 

My primary concern is his ability to manage the players, coaches, and his ability to be the face of this organization in this market. And I think its a very legitimate concern. 

• Like 1

Like it from a schematic standpoint. I always thought he overachieved with the talent around him, and Sam will be his best QB since Peyton. I thought it was a bad move for Miami to get rid of him personally. I have more faith in him than MM to construct a new school offense for us.

However I am concerned from a player management standpoint like jetskid007 said. History of butting heads with key players and being a control freak scare me. Also hope he is a better at using his personnel correctly here. But hey nothing we can do now just gotta hope for the best.

All I know is if this team isn’t looking good early on next year fans and media will be relentless. If it’s real bad (losing, signs of a fracturing locker room) it wouldn’t surprise me if Gase is one and done with McCagnan going with him. Then Woody will step in for the next round of hires.

And push hard for Mike McCarthy, who plays us until the very end and signs elsewhere and laughs. 

• Like 1

Just now, SDotNova said:

So what are the pros of him as a coach? QB whisperer and offensive Xs and Os? How is he with game management and clock management?

Cons seem to be player relationship and needing someone to run the defense.

That QB whisperer and offensive genious stuff is a farce. If any of that were true he would be able to yield a top 20 offense.

Yeah I just don't get it. How some people were so enamored with Rhule and absolutely hate Gase. Everyone really is a prisoner of the moment, just years ago Gase was one of the hottest names in football. Can anyone with a straight face tell me he did a bad job in Miami? I don't even think Loggains was that bad this year. To finish 7-9 and starting Brock for five of those games and have the offensive firepower of Amendola, Still and Gore?

53 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

An offensive genious that couldn’t get his offenses to finish in the top half of the league ever.

Ever? You mean besides the year he was the playcaller for the best offense in NFL history? Those numbers from Berry (as well as the DVOA’s that Joe C keeps spamming on twitter) are with some of if not the worst QB play in the NFL during that time. Like every stat, there needs to be context and Jets twitter is not giving Gase’s unflattering analytics the context they deserve. 

Every season Gase started out with an uptempo no huddle offense that he was forced to curtail due to his QB play.

Edited by BlaZeN37
  • Like 2