Jets hire Adam Gase as HC

barnaby8787

4 hours ago, Lilseb93 said:

The Dolphins are the definition of purgatory. We're never bad. We're always mediocre. People act like we're picking in the top 5 every year. I wish. At least we would have a great draft pick. People always act like the Dolphins never have talent. They always do. The problem is they can't find the right coach and QB to put it all together. We're always right there, but always so far away. Always 6-10 to 8-8. We're always in "maybe next year" mode. That's why we always chase the FAs and make moves like we're in win now mode. Because it seems like we're right there to finally taking the next step. And then the new coach trades or cuts the talent (or we lose them to FA), and we're just constantly trying to replace talent while dealing with bad coaches and QB play.

A recipe for .500 football. 

They'd do well with kinda letting the suck happen.

Unless they are willing to bet on Teddy Bridgewater or trade for Foles, help isn't coming this year.
At this point it seems like it'll be a rough couple years, silver lining? Maybe it's sucky enough to get the Clemson kid when he comes out, Brady will be retired by then, right?

10 hours ago, Lilseb93 said:

My question for the Jets is Gase going to make you guys soft? He failed because the offensive and defensive lines were extremely soft. Any D-line who got physical with the O-line pushed them over. Anyone who played power football up the middle against this D-line ran them over. The offense and defense collapsed on themselves even with talent because they were so soft upfront. Tannehill isn't good, but he might have been better if we actually addressed this. This team has neglected the guard position and the LB position for over a decade. Even with Suh we were getting ran over. Players were confused and out of position. QBs had 10 minutes to throw the ball against this soft zone scheme. TEs were ALWAYS open. I HATE that wide 9 zone scheme we ran with Joseph and Burke. We gave everyone 10 yard cushions. Players were always out of position. I adamantly believe the defense would be much better with somebody more competent running it. It was largely a coaching issue. We all knew Burke sucked, but Gase defended him. Gase should have brought in a veteran DC to take care of the defense. Instead, Gase focused only on the offense and basically let a lousy inexperienced DC run the defense to one of the worst defenses in Dolphins history. 

Rumors are Greg Williams for DC and with guys like Adams, Williamson, Maye, Jenkins, and Williams on defense the last thing they would be is soft.  Really hope Williams gets the job as DC.

I'm pretty meh on the higher.  Like that he will design the offense and has had some success in the league.  My main focus was to have the HC design the offense and be a more modern style so I guess Gase is kind of that.  Really hope that both him and Mac learn from their past mistakes.  

For now I'm not in love with the higher, as a fan I hope they prove me wrong.

15 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Mr. B-hole rises again!

hashtag footclan

14 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Not only did Darnold endorse the Gase decision when informed, but Peyton Manning recommended Gase in a private phone call to one of the Johnson's.

Same thing happened with he was hired in Miami

13 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Gase had to deal with poor talent evaluation, overpriced FAs, and one of the three worst owners in the NFL.  Oh, and his starting QB was available for half of the games.

When he's Miami's coach, he sucks; when he gets hired by a big market team, he was in a bad situation

k

13 hours ago, Lilseb93 said:

Gase could be a good HC, but he needs to learn from these problems and lower his ego.

I agree with this. Getting Greg Williams as DC is a great start for him. He also needs a OL coach that can teach his interior OL how to deal with stunts, which was a perennial issue in Miami. He was also brutally terrible on 3rd down. I don't think Gase reached his potential in Miami, and do believe he has the ability to eventually be a good HC.

12 hours ago, Ajayii said:

Funny thing is folks in here are saying we overachieved yet ignoring that we had a better offense prior with Philbin AND averaged more wins under Philbin with a worse roster. 

Don't forget point differential - it was absolutely atrocious and far, far worse than Philbin's tenure.

12 hours ago, Lilseb93 said:

Overall, Gase was a more arrogant version of Joe Philbin. It was the exact same team. 

His nickname on twitter was "Cocky Joe Philbin" for a reason.

If his GM gets him good OL talent, he tones down his "my way or kick rocks" attitude that lost him at least a dozen players' respect, and can lean on a strong DC, I fear he may find success in NY. 

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

They'd do well with kinda letting the suck happen.

Unless they are willing to bet on Teddy Bridgewater or trade for Foles, help isn't coming this year.
At this point it seems like it'll be a rough couple years, silver lining? Maybe it's sucky enough to get the Clemson kid when he comes out, Brady will be retired by then, right?

That's the thing. Our roster hasn't been bad enough for a top pick. If I had to bet, they trade away some vets like Cam Wake and Reshad Jones(not if Richard is hired). Then build the OL for either Kyler Murray, Haskins, or 2020 QB. Wont know for sure until a coach is hired though.

6 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Man, this sucks. This really sucks.

Gase is a terrific coach who will get the most out of Sam Darnold. But that aside, I was really hoping I'd be able to root for him on his next team, because he should've never been fired here. Good hire by the Jets. Hard time to be a Dolphins fan.

Can you explain a little more about exactly what you like about him as a coach and what to expect? Many fans are concerned with the record he had in 3 years (although I personally felt he overachieved) and his abrasiveness with players (and so far he looks to be right on Landry and Ajayi, they both produced a lot less without him).

15 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Can you explain a little more about exactly what you like about him as a coach and what to expect? Many fans are concerned with the record he had in 3 years (although I personally felt he overachieved) and his abrasiveness with players (and so far he looks to be right on Landry and Ajayi, they both produced a lot less without him).

He definitely overachieved. Dolphins fans complaining about Gase don't understand the dire state of our roster. Gase obviously had a terrific 10-6 campaign with a healthy Tannehill. But since then, he's not had a quality starting QB. Obviously last year was Cutler and this year Tannehill was in and out of the lineup (and playing hurt the last few games). His ability to get the most out of a lackluster bunch is what makes me like him.

He's usually a pretty good, creative play caller. Sometimes his team doesn't show up. Our losses were pretty much all blow outs under Gase. But he brings a grit about him, for sure. He may also clash with some players in the locker room.

He wasn't perfect in Miami, definitely, but was about as good as you can expect from a rookie HC given a talent depraved roster. He'll (unfortunately) fix Sam Darnold. He may just ruin your defense though.

Archived