Jets hire Adam Gase as HC

barnaby8787

20 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

Gase is very smart, but being smart only gets you so far. Especially when you're arrogant. Too smart for his own good perhaps. He didn't address the QB position. He tied himself down to Tannehill who could no longer stay healthy and one that most people view as bad or below average. He never brought in competition. He brought in Jay Cutler and Brock Osweiler instead. He completely failed as a QB whisperer. He built a soft team on both sides just like Joe Philbin. He was horrendous on the road (although good at home). He traded talented players away to build a culture that lead to the locker room disliking him. He failed to bring in veteran coordinators to help him learn on the job. His play calling was pretty good at times, but overall was very questionable and at times outright abysmal. Examples such as running on 1st and 20, throwing the ball behind the 1st down marker on 3rd down, constantly relying on screen passes, and being inconsistent with the identity of the offense. The defense was horrendous every year largely because we built a soft team upfront and we never hired a competent veteran DC. Gase needed to give up play calling on offense and also focus on the defense. The defense felt neglected. It was historically terrible for 3 years. 

Gase could be a good HC, but he needs to learn from these problems and lower his ego.

I can't read this and not immediately think "Josh McDaniels," especially considering the young age at which Gase was given the keys to a team of his own and considering the first three sentences.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I can't read this and not immediately think "Josh McDaniels," especially considering the young age at which Gase was given the keys to a team of his own and considering the first three sentences.

That's a very good comparison. Gase acts like the smartest guy in the room and perhaps he is. But you can only be arrogant like that when you have the results to back it up. Eventually, he was acting that way with the 30th ranked offense and defense, and being 1-7 on the road. This eventually lost the media and the locker room.

My question for the Jets is Gase going to make you guys soft? He failed because the offensive and defensive lines were extremely soft. Any D-line who got physical with the O-line pushed them over. Anyone who played power football up the middle against this D-line ran them over. The offense and defense collapsed on themselves even with talent because they were so soft upfront. Tannehill isn't good, but he might have been better if we actually addressed this. This team has neglected the guard position and the LB position for over a decade. Even with Suh we were getting ran over. Players were confused and out of position. QBs had 10 minutes to throw the ball against this soft zone scheme. TEs were ALWAYS open. I HATE that wide 9 zone scheme we ran with Joseph and Burke. We gave everyone 10 yard cushions. Players were always out of position. I adamantly believe the defense would be much better with somebody more competent running it. It was largely a coaching issue. We all knew Burke sucked, but Gase defended him. Gase should have brought in a veteran DC to take care of the defense. Instead, Gase focused only on the offense and basically let a lousy inexperienced DC run the defense to one of the worst defenses in Dolphins history. 

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

The problem I see with that is that some of those guys were guys the Dolphins drafted while Gase was the HC.  He has a little Todd Haley in him, methinks.  I'm a bit hesitant about how great of a fit he is with Darnold - he did rein in Cutler to an extent, but other than that, he's found the majority of his "success" with QB's that put emphasis on limiting their turnovers as opposed to just letting it all hang out.

A lot is going to depend on who he brings long to coach the OL and the run-game because the OL in Miami under him seems forever flaccid and always missing at least one piece to be functional.  In that regard in particular, I agree with the poster who mention that Rhule would have been the better hire.  In defense, I've also been a massive Matt Rhule supporter since he was at Temple.

9 minutes ago, The LBC said:

My point was more, if Peyton calls Darnold (which if he called one of the Johnsons he likely did with Darnold as well since Darnold was a counselor at Manning's QB camp in 2017) and talks up Gase, Darnold's going to bite hook, line, and sinker and endorse Gase.  And Peyton's motivations are, most likely, more with Gase's interests in mind more than Darnold's.

Your original post doesn't mention Peyton Manning anywhere which is what I originally reaponded to in regards to the fit. I agree with the Peyton Manning stuff to an extent but I don't think it's so much loyalty as it is honest dialogue based on Manning's personal experience. I wouldn't go as far as to say that none of what a former player has to say about their coach can be taken meaningfully and objectably.

1 minute ago, Lilseb93 said:

He failed because the offensive and defensive lines were extremely soft.

I'd say the Josh Sitton signing last year is evidence that Gase was trying to emphasize building the offensive line up finally. After this season, I think Gase learned a lot about building the defensive line too, although the Jets already have some talent there. I don't expect there to be a huge deficit in terms of team toughness on the Jets roster.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

I'd say the Josh Sitton signing last year is evidence that Gase was trying to emphasize building the offensive line up finally. After this season, I think Gase learned a lot about building the defensive line too, although the Jets already have some talent there. I don't expect there to be a huge deficit in terms of team toughness on the Jets roster.

The problem is they always neglect the guard position in the draft and rely on injury prone vets. It always bites us in the ***. Gase will need to build upfront through the draft. The O-line destroyed any chance of success here on offense. 

35 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

That's because people don't watch the Dolphins. If he over achieved, it's with the roster he built. The so called talentless roster was praised by him. It was the team in his image. A soft one just like Philbin. Like you said, ironically Philbin did better than him with a worse roster. This team actually has talent. We have core pieces in the secondary. I do believe we have weapons at WR. The team ultimately failed because he is a soft coach upfront and his handling of the QB position. 

When you get man handled by anyone physical, nothing else works. 

People say this every year like the Dolphins are a perennial bottom five team. I'm tired of being stuck in purgatory nonetheless. 

Just now, Ajayii said:

People say this every year like the Dolphins are a perennial bottom five team. I'm tired of being stuck in purgatory nonetheless. 

The Dolphins are the definition of purgatory. We're never bad. We're always mediocre. People act like we're picking in the top 5 every year. I wish. At least we would have a great draft pick. People always act like the Dolphins never have talent. They always do. The problem is they can't find the right coach and QB to put it all together. We're always right there, but always so far away. Always 6-10 to 8-8. We're always in "maybe next year" mode. That's why we always chase the FAs and make moves like we're in win now mode. Because it seems like we're right there to finally taking the next step. And then the new coach trades or cuts the talent (or we lose them to FA), and we're just constantly trying to replace talent while dealing with bad coaches and QB play.

A recipe for .500 football. 

Miami lost the last 3 games of the season the last 2 years in a row to blow any slight shot at the playoffs they would have had. Gase only likes to hire friends and players he has worked with in the past he does not like to step out of the box when it comes to bringing people in. Miami offense has been horrible the last 3 seasons, at one point this year Miami had only scored one TD on the first drive of a game in like 17 games. He seems to dislike tough  talented veteran players that voice there opinion of things but will nurse a non productive player on the roster year after year. 

Maybe he will do great with the Jets but as a Dolphins fan that has watched  just about every play of every game the last three seasons Gase just seemed lost and unsure of himself a lot of  times and Miami looked lost and unprepared to play the first half of a lot of their games. One thing for sure you can bet he will have a winning record against the Dolphins but do not look for a lot of success against the rest of the AFC. 

As a Dolphin fan I am happy the Jets hired Gase instead of a McCarthy or on of the top coordinators being mentioned for HC jobs.

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’ll be good until he clashes with half the roster. 

I guess it's a good thing we only have 31 players under contract (about 20 of them worth roster spots) with a grand total of one priority *restricted* free agents lol

But seriously, that's my main concern with Gase. Seems like he became a little bit of a control freak in Miami and I hope he learns to better manage the roster/personalities in the organization this time around. 

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I like this a lot, mostly due to the fact they have a very young QB who needs some help. Gase will help him take his game to another level.

He failed with Tanny lol

I think this move is hilarious. He had all the pieces in Miami to succeed and crapped the bed. Keep this man in the AFC East 😃

Archived