Jets hire Adam Gase as HC

barnaby8787

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

What's your take on Gase?

I'd say he's pretty good. Miami lost the last 3 games of this season and looked awful. I don't know why that happened. Other than that, I think he overachived in his 3 years in Miami. Remember he went 6-10 in 2017 with no BYE week, and his starting QB done before the season started and used a barely there Jay Cutler. I think Gase is good at manufacturing yards and points with a lot of 2nd stringers playing.

1 minute ago, NYJets4716 said:

Ugh, maybe he'll do better with jets than dolphins.

One of the things that happens in these HC interviews is that the candidates tell the owner/GM what they think of the current roster, what needs fixing and how you go about doing it. Gase game-planned and coached against the Jets twice per year and would be well prepared to answer those questions.
More than most other candidates
Gase is also well-versed on the division, which gives him another leg up on the competition. I would imagine he nailed the interviews

Just now, Shanedorf said:

One of the things that happens in these HC interviews is that the candidates tell the owner/GM what they think of the current roster, what needs fixing and how you go about doing it. Gase game-planned and coached against the Jets twice per year and would be well prepared to answer those questions.
More than most other candidates
Gase is also well-versed on the division, which gives him another leg up on the competition. I would imagine he nailed the interviews

Great points, especially the first one. The Jets would be shortsighted enough to invest majorally in just an interview though. Like I posted earlier, not a bad hired but Matt Rhule would have been the best.

18 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Idk man.  The reports of alienating players, etc., scares the heck out of me.

It depends on what you mean by alienating players. There were definitely players that were not a good fit with the Dolphins that I can see Gase jettisoning due to potential locker room issues. From what I've seen, he's a decent HC whose main problem is that half his roster is always injured. If he can find a way to minimize injuries to this team especially at the more important positions like QB, then I can see him succeeding.

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I felt like he overachieved in Miami.

Same. That roster is pretty mediocre. Tannehill isn't horrible but he isn't healthy half the time either. The fact that Miami weren't consistently bad under Gase speaks volumes to his coaching ability, IMO.

However, if the reports of him alienating players are true, then I could see why Jets fans would be skeptical.

I think they should have went with McCarthy, but Gase isn't a bad choice at all, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It depends on what you mean by alienating players. There were definitely players that were not a good fit with the Dolphins that I can see Gase jettisoning due to potential locker room issues. From what I've seen, he's a decent HC whose main problem is that half his roster is always injured. If he can find a way to minimize injuries to this team especially at the more important positions like QB, then I can see him succeeding.

That's it really. As a rookie coach he took a team to the playoffs, but just before the playoffs started his QB got hurt so they had no chance. Next season, QB returns but the same half-injury becomes a full injury and the entire season is wasted. Move on to season three, QB is back, team starts 3-0 but once again the QB is hurt and missed 5 games. If the QB injuries hadn't happened, he'd prolly still be in Miami. 

Overall I liked Gase as HC, the team always seemed to fight and claw for wins against teams they probably shouldn't have beaten. Or at least keep the game ugly and close so it comes down to the wire and anything can happen. The difficult part is trying to figure out...were Miami's constant offensive struggles from the QB being oft-injured, a lack of talent, or the HC calling the plays?

Good luck with the Jets bruddah. Young QB, lots of cap room, and the pressure of the NY media spotlight. 

20 minutes ago, Xenos said:

The problem I see with that is that some of those guys were guys the Dolphins drafted while Gase was the HC.  He has a little Todd Haley in him, methinks.  I'm a bit hesitant about how great of a fit he is with Darnold - he did rein in Cutler to an extent, but other than that, he's found the majority of his "success" with QB's that put emphasis on limiting their turnovers as opposed to just letting it all hang out.

A lot is going to depend on who he brings long to coach the OL and the run-game because the OL in Miami under him seems forever flaccid and always missing at least one piece to be functional.  In that regard in particular, I agree with the poster who mention that Rhule would have been the better hire.  In defense, I've also been a massive Matt Rhule supporter since he was at Temple.

Archived