GDT [Divisional Round]: Dallas Cowboys vs. Los Angeles Rams

canadaluvsdallas

Just now, CAPJ said:

Again. It doesnt have to be a 1st round pick or even a 2nd to get a big run stuffing DT.

I get Rod doesnt value them but hell, can we spend a 4th round pick?

We can spend a little more capital than an undrafted DT.

Rod won't take a 1DT that doesn't have that "quick-twitch", "Gap-shooting", "High Motor", etc....so basically he wants nothing but 3DT traits in the interior of the line at all times at the expense of taking run-stoppers.   The best we could hope for is a reincarnate of Jay Ratliff. He was a late-draft, undersized 1DT pitbull that played out of position at 3-4 nose-tackle and could blow up 1v1,  push the pocket, and anchor against double teams run-blocking.   He was a gem.  We need a gem that we can find despite Marinelli's druthers..

Not to mention how it would free up our athletic LBs even more to make plays.

Of course we have been saying an oversize 2 down DT would help Sean Lee for 5 or 6 years now. It's to late for Lee, but we can still help Jaylon and LVE.

7 minutes ago, D82 said:

Nobody was really complaining about the 1T until this game though. I don't think I'd pass on a guy like Dexter Lawrence or Dontavius Russell if available but it's not as big a need as some think.

Many people complain every off season and then we just deal with it during until it blows up in our face.

Then we complain again about how we dont address it.

A big run clogging tackle to take on multiple blockers and to keep people off Jaylon and LVE would be a plus.

30 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Many people complain every off season and then we just deal with it during until it blows up in our face.

Then we complain again about how we dont address it.

A big run clogging tackle to take on multiple blockers and to keep people off Jaylon and LVE would be a plus.

We were the 5th ranked run defense. The Rams just did a great job winning that match-up. It happens.

I don't think one game is reason enough to decry that we need a 1T.

37 minutes ago, D82 said:

Nobody was really complaining about the 1T until this game though. 

That is true.

But we have complained about 1t in every offseason for over 5 years now. And our 1T position failed us in our two post Amari losses. 

I mean, our offense failed us in most of our games, so I'm cool if we focus on TE/WR. But when we look at defense, 1T is a talking point.

Just had a mock on Fan speak where I got Dexter Lawrence in the 2nd Hakeem Butler in the 3rd and Kaden Smith in the 4th. Could you imagine the size advantage of Butler and Smith near the goal line and having Lawrence playing our 1Tech with Maliek opposite? Our team would be vastly improved being able to move around those guys.

52 minutes ago, D82 said:

Nobody was really complaining about the 1T until this game though. I don't think I'd pass on a guy like Dexter Lawrence or Dontavius Russell if available but it's not as big a need as some think.

Sir, after Jay Ratliff was going in and out of injuries, and our "right on time" gem in Josh Brent was facing prison time,  I hated the signing and faith they gave to Nick "Golden ****" Hayden.  That guy was the quintessential JAG of the century and we played him as our 1DT for 3 years.  My nickname for him was "Motor Skates".  I never saw a 1DT get put on roller skates that much on a 1v1 situation.  But damn, [Marinelli voice] didn't he have a "motor" to get in on a gang tackle 6-8 yards after he let the runner by him?!!!!

Marinelli loves his "Rush men" and "motor"....

1 hour ago, ///mcompact said:

Sir, after Jay Ratliff was going in and out of injuries, and our "right on time" gem in Josh Brent was facing prison time,  I hated the signing and faith they gave to Nick "Golden ****" Hayden.  That guy was the quintessential JAG of the century and we played him as our 1DT for 3 years.  My nickname for him was "Motor Skates".  I never saw a 1DT get put on roller skates that much on a 1v1 situation.  But damn, [Marinelli voice] didn't he have a "motor" to get in on a gang tackle 6-8 yards after he let the runner by him?!!!!

Marinelli loves his "Rush men" and "motor"....

Yup. Rod’s philosophy is ignore the 1-tech and have nothing but rush men and hope they can stop the run whilst trying to get to the QB. But, when they get stonewalled, it results not only in zero pass pressure, but coughing up tons of yards ti RBs.

I'll never argue against adding talented DL. So if there happens to be a can't miss DT there, you take him. I'm just saying I don't view it as a need, I'd argue it's far more important we find a good 3T. 

7 hours ago, D82 said:

I'll never argue against adding talented DL. So if there happens to be a can't miss DT there, you take him. I'm just saying I don't view it as a need, I'd argue it's far more important we find a good 3T. 

Our best bet for a game changer there would be Omenihu from Texas at lasting until our pick. Lawrence and Wilkins might last but it's doubtful. Although there are some quality 1Tech's in this draft for the later rounds. 2 in particular Greg Gaines from Washington and Daylon Mack from A&M.

11 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

OK boys, outside of BPA, if all grades equal out RANK your top 3 needs.

1- I still have TE... weapons weapons weapons.

2- if Beas does leave, then WR

3 - FS/SS

4 - best fattest ugliest  1T

You like this thread ? Like reliving the moment ?  Maybe it should be tacked at the top of page again ? 

;)

Archived