Should the Steelers get rid of Antonio Brown?

AlNFL19

Antonio Brown  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Steelers get rid of Brown?

• Yes
    • No

30 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The other thing people arent considering is how many teams will be interested.

So even if you dont believe that Brown isnt worth first round value (which is stupid IMO), the bidding war will drive up his price.

Cant believe people dont think Brown will be able to get a 1st when Amari Cooper did.   I know Cooper is younger, but Brown is light years better than Cooper, even at his age.

I mean, TO didn't get a first. The trade market is super wonky sometimes. I never would have expected Golden Tate to get the return he did. I would have expected Trent Brown to get more than a swap of picks this off season given how good of a tackle he is. It's just weird. I do think that there will be a good market. I don't think it lends itself to getting a huge return (IE, the 49ers aren't giving up #2 in a swap of picks for AB like I have seen so many people posting), but I could absolutely see first round value in some form or fashion (which may or may not include an actual first round pick). 

Part of the issue is where the Steelers would actually be comfortable trading him. Are they completely unwilling to trade him to the Pats? Because we know that they are a team that is willing to make that move (see Cooks trade) for a late first, but then again, it's the Patriots. What about another team in the AFC that isn't rebuilding? Would they trade him to the Colts? I don't know the answer to that. Obviously, if they are willing to move him anywhere, that only helps, while if there are any limitations on where they will send him, that will hurt. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, TO didn't get a first. The trade market is super wonky sometimes. I never would have expected Golden Tate to get the return he did. I would have expected Trent Brown to get more than a swap of picks this off season given how good of a tackle he is. It's just weird. I do think that there will be a good market. I don't think it lends itself to getting a huge return (IE, the 49ers aren't giving up #2 in a swap of picks for AB like I have seen so many people posting), but I could absolutely see first round value in some form or fashion (which may or may not include an actual first round pick). 

Part of the issue is where the Steelers would actually be comfortable trading him. Are they completely unwilling to trade him to the Pats? Because we know that they are a team that is willing to make that move (see Cooks trade) for a late first, but then again, it's the Patriots. What about another team in the AFC that isn't rebuilding? Would they trade him to the Colts? I don't know the answer to that. Obviously, if they are willing to move him anywhere, that only helps, while if there are any limitations on where they will send him, that will hurt. 

I think they would be willing to trade him to every NFC team and probably half of the AFC teams.       Ravens, Bengals, Browns and Pats are the only 4 Id say are ABSOLUTELY off the table.    I think the Steelers would much rather trade him to the NFC, but I think if they got the right offer, they would trade him to a team like the Jets, Titans, Raiders, etc....

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Ben and Bell have been together 9 years, the window has been open a long time and they haven't won a championship.

Pretty irrelevant.

The championship window is currently closing. Brown is an elite player that causes distractions. Your team has one less headache without him, but also fairs worse as well. 

Browns is a great player but he is a me player. While their goals are somewhat aligned trouble comes when the team has success and Brown doesn't (or neither have success) and then he is unhappy.

“Somewhat aligned”

Right...

He is also going to be 31 to start the season and a player who relies on quickness as much as he does means his personal window is almost closed as a #1 WR. He should still be useful 2-3 years down the road but he won't be a #1 he will be a slot guy who can get open against LBs and safetys, not CBs. 

A receiver with elite ball skills, footwork, and route running will not be able to get open against CBs in 2-3 years? Alright, man. 

48 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Pretty irrelevant.

The championship window is currently closing. Brown is an elite player that causes distractions. Your team has one less headache without him, but also fairs worse as well. 

Eh, it isn't like the cupboard is bare.

49 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

“Somewhat aligned”

Right...

Normal players don't pout when a teammate scores

49 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

A receiver with elite ball skills, footwork, and route running will not be able to get open against CBs in 2-3 years? Alright, man. 

Quickness is why he is a good route runner, the best route runner in the world who runs a 5.2 forty isn't ever getting open.

The Steelers would be extremely smart to trade him away. He's obviously still elite, but he's no longer the BEST WR in the NFL. His trajectory is pointing downwards and Pittsburgh already has viable replacements on the roster. If they were smart, they'd start stockpiling for a rebuild. It's right around the corner, unless you're one of the 8 people on this planet that believe in Josh Dobbs or Mason Rudolph.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Eh, it isn't like the cupboard is bare.

Its more bare than you’d think. Who is there other than Juju and Conner? Vance/James are good but not great. Rogers is average at best. Washington has promise but is far from Brown. 

Normal players don't pout when a teammate scores

Brown isn’t normal. He’s a diva and a distraction. But he’s an elite football player that will save a cap strapped team peanuts by getting rid of him.

Quickness is why he is a good route runner, the best route runner in the world who runs a 5.2 forty isn't ever getting open.

Yeah, no. Brown relies on his good but not great athletic ability less so than just about any other elite receiver (maybe Hopkins). 

Fitzgerald look like a burner to you? Or Brandon Marshall? Brown’s skills mean he’ll have a place in the NFL until his body is 100% done. Unlike a player like Moss.

EDIT: If his contract allowed for the totality of his cap hit to be sent over to the new team, I’d be all over trading him, FWIW.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Fitzgerald look like a burner to you? Or Brandon Marshall?

...you mean those 6'3-6'4 jump ball monsters that have always been post-up possession WR's?

Brown has excellent quickness and very good long speed. He's a very physically talented WR in terms of speed and to pretend he isn't is crazy. He isn't freaking DeSean Jackson who can ONLY win with speed, but it's certainly a major strength in his game. When that starts to wane, he's going to drop off quite a bit.

Brown isn’t normal. He’s a diva and a distraction. But he’s an elite football player that will save a cap strapped team peanuts by getting rid of him.

They aren't considering trading him for cap reasons though, it has nothing to do with the cap.

Yeah, no. Brown relies on his good but not great athletic ability less so than just about any other elite receiver (maybe Hopkins). 

Brown was elite because of elite quickness.

45 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

...you mean those 6'3-6'4 jump ball monsters that have always been post-up possession WR's?

Did you read the post?

He said Brown’s route running is a product of his quickness. He said slow receivers never get open.

I named receivers that get open without having elite quickness. It’s really not all that complicated.

45 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Brown has excellent quickness and very good long speed. He's a very physically talented WR in terms of speed and to pretend he isn't is crazy. He isn't freaking DeSean Jackson who can ONLY win with speed, but it's certainly a major strength in his game. When that starts to wane, he's going to drop off quite a bit.

He is physically talented, and to pretend like that anyone said otherwise is crazy. 

But he’s not a special athlete. I could probably name a better athlete in almost every team’s WR room. Obviously his status will drop when his athleticism drops - that applies to virtually every WR. But again, the guy said Brown won’t be able to get open against CBs in 2-3 years. Which is laughable.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

By definition every trade is conducted at market value, so I will count it.

But I wont count on your idea of market value being actual market value.

My point is they arent going to trade him for less than first round value the Raiders got for Cooper.....and considering there will be at least 10-15 teams who want a guy who is clearly elite, they will pretty much undoubtedly get it.   It may come in the form of a player+pick trade or something like that.....but they arent going to take less than what the Raiders got for Cooper.  I guarantee it.

Im not even fully convinced he will be traded at all.   I think they will entertain the offers, but arent going to take it unless its worth it.   Anything less than a first would NOT be worth it.

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

They aren't considering trading him for cap reasons though, it has nothing to do with the cap.

Yes, but to assume that a team will just forego any cap repurcussions is irrational. I mean, it could happen, but it’d be puzzling unless the compensation is incredible.

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Browns was elite because of elite quickness.

That’s a joke, right? 

Cordarrelle Patterson has elite quickness - how is he as a WR?

Archived