AFC Championship: Patriots vs. Chiefs

DigInBoys

13 hours ago, Buckweath said:

You are pushing it. It was actually a similar performance to the one on week 17 against the Raiders, even when taking into account the lower level of the Raiders offense.

Well, the Raiders game was more turnover based and they absolutely shut the colts down. The Chiefs have traditionally has been bend but dont break and turnover driven under Sutton. 

I just prefer the Colt's defensive style over this because it carriers better in the playoffs IMO. You face better QB's that don't tend to make the mistakes regular QB's make. 

18 hours ago, childofpudding said:

I posted this in the Chargers-Patriots thread, but it bears repeating. the Chiefs D-line was able to get their hands up vs. Luck, so even when they couldn't sack him or knock him down, they were disrupting his ability to get the ball out quickly by batting several balls. I'm guessing there will be a similar strategy this week against the Patriots and its quick release passing game.

They will have to. If I'm Sutton, I am single coverage on the outside playing everyone within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Double Edelman and Spy White. Force Brady to beat you deep and outside. 

Stop Edelman and White out of the backfield and the Chiefs win this easily. Easier said than done but that's where my focus would be. 

22 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I see there is a lot of talk about how the Pats historically haven’t had to go on the road to win AFCCGs sans 2001 or don’t make SBs without a bye. 

Does anyone consider that maybe it’s not that they can’t win on the road in a AFCCG, but that the teams that get HFA are just of much higher quality than those that don’t? This year for example, isn’t a particularly strong NE team and now as a result, they have to go on the road. If they lose this week, I’m sure there’ll be a bunch of people saying “NE can’t win playoff games on the road” - which would seem true at face value, but it’s pretty apparent that they’re just not that high quality of a team compared to other championship seasons.

I think people are switching the chicken and the egg, a little bit.

In 2015 they were stronger than denver, hfa carried denver through. Considering how they lost at mile high the first time, they were unlucky. 

In some other years I feel the pats were worse but got hfa thanks to their division and Hfa carried them too. 

But shallow narratives seems to often be the case with the pats. Especially in all the "Brady won (insert team stat)"  never taking into account a single other pat player or "Brady beat (insert opposing qb)" not taking into account a single other player on the field. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

Guys like Sammy Watkins have to step up. Pats definitely won't let Hill go off like last time.

The problem that NE will have is they can't double everyone. Hill is an elite WR. Watkins is an elite WR (when healthy...) Kelce is the top TE in football. Williams is a better fit in this offense than Hunt was and allegedly has the best hands on the team. I think Williams has a big game receiving because Hightower won't be able to keep up.

That's why this offense was unstoppable this season. When KC lost Watkins, it allowed defenses to key in on both Hill and Kelce more which brought the offense from historically good levels to elite levels. They also lost 3 interior lineman for periods during the middle/second half of the season. I don't think losing Hunt matters at all beyond chemistry. 

KC is going to get their points and probably score somewhere in the 30's. The question is whether the defense can continue their improved play at home, will be able to stop the dink and dunk NE offense. 

I think the game comes down to the OL and DL of NE. LAC was thought to have a scary pass rush tandem but they were nullified with chip blocks, extra TE's and quicker releases by Tom Brady. If Brady can be protected like he was last week I see no reason why the offense cannot keep up with KC. The DL and really front 7 of NE must apply pressure as well as not let Patrick scramble or feel comfortable at all really. I am looking forward to an awesome matchup here and the SB no matter which teams win in the conference finals.

2 minutes ago, I_GET_SAX said:

The poster above him literally posted that Watkins is elite when healthy. Which is a farce. Which is why he lol'd.

Oh yeah. My bad didnt see it. Yeah hes not elite. Top 15-20 though for sure. Hes big, strong, amazing hands, fast, etc. Hes got all the traits of an elite WR, just brittle.

5 minutes ago, I_GET_SAX said:

I think the game comes down to the OL and DL of NE. LAC was thought to have a scary pass rush tandem but they were nullified with chip blocks, extra TE's and quicker releases by Tom Brady. If Brady can be protected like he was last week I see no reason why the offense cannot keep up with KC. The DL and really front 7 of NE must apply pressure as well as not let Patrick scramble or feel comfortable at all really. I am looking forward to an awesome matchup here and the SB no matter which teams win in the conference finals.

Chargers dont really have interior pressure and have a much worse OL than the Chiefs.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think itll ve another classic game.

20 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Oh yeah. My bad didnt see it. Yeah hes not elite. Top 15-20 though for sure. Hes big, strong, amazing hands, fast, etc. Hes got all the traits of an elite WR, just brittle.

Watkins is a #1 WR when healthy but obviously he is not elite.

19 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

It should be a good game but I believe the Chiefs could win by more than a score.

The Pats will probably have found their match this time.

Well, the Patriots have found their match plenty of times. A lot of playoff disappointments over the years sprinkled with plenty of highs.

I'm getting more and more pumped as the week goes on. I think the NE defense should be able to bring the kind of pressure they brought against Rivers, so it's just a matter of whether they can also keep Mahomes contained at the same time. If their man coverage holds up fairly well, I think they can keep the Chiefs' offense in check, relatively speaking (<35 points). The Chiefs would be smart to use a lot of RPOs, as NE often struggles against them.

Archived