Bears interested in Kareem Hunt?

malagabears

Waddle and Silvy are talking about Kareem Hunt... quite a few pro's and one glaring and obvious con:

1. Young
2. Led the league in rushing his rookie season
3. Huge need on our offense
4. Coach is familiar with him
5. Player is familiar with the offense
6. CHEAP

I'd sign the kid IF he seems genuinely remorseful AND promises to not put himself in that position ever again. Keep him stashed for 6 weeks, let the noise die down (assuming his suspension is 6 games, I have no idea). After that you can ease him into the offense and eventually take over for Howard.

Don't forget: Jordan Howard is a free agent at the end of next season.

I think Nagy and the franchise could very easily save face and say they don't condone what Hunt did but they do believe in giving a young man a second chance. Nagy could say that he believes in Hunt but that it's up to the young player to make the most of this opportunity he is being given.

If the kid is stupid enough to mess up then the Bears can cut bait and Nagy can flat out say that he gave the kid a chance to turn his career and life around and the kid failed and now is likely out of the league for good.

SOME team is going to give Kareem Hunt a shot, why not us? He fits a glaring need, has experience in the system, and most importantly has had SUCCESS in the system. Howard's contract is up after the 2019-2020 season, I'd absolutely do it.

Roethlisberger has two rape accusations but nobody dares talk about it. Tyreek Hill admitted guilt to choking his girlfriend, etc.

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think Nagy and the franchise could very easily save face and say they don't condone what Hunt did but they do believe in giving a young man a second chance. Nagy could say that he believes in Hunt but that it's up to the young player to make the most of this opportunity he is being given.

If the kid is stupid enough to mess up then the Bears can cut bait and Nagy can flat out say that he gave the kid a chance to turn his career and life around and the kid failed and now is likely out of the league for good.

SOME team is going to give Kareem Hunt a shot, why not us? He fits a glaring need, has experience in the system, and most importantly has had SUCCESS in the system. Howard's contract is up after the 2019-2020 season, I'd absolutely do it.

Roethlisberger has two rape accusations but nobody dares talk about it. Tyreek Hill admitted guilt to choking his girlfriend, etc.

I just see signing him as the type of move the Bears typically avoid. It makes a ton of sense from a football perspective. But owners have things other than football to consider and they may be concerned about who they alienate or what image they project by signing him.

59 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I just see signing him as the type of move the Bears typically avoid. It makes a ton of sense from a football perspective. But owners have things other than football to consider and they may be concerned about who they alienate or what image they project by signing him.

It is but we've also never been this close to being a Super Bowl contender. Hunt is 23 years old and clearly has made mistakes. The media can hoot and holler about how horrendous the video is (which it is) and Nagy and the Bears can say they agree, they don't condone his behavior, but they want to give the young man a second chance at having an NFL career and productive life in society. IF Hunt fails, that's on him and the Bears will immediately cut bait and say they gave him a shot and he blew it so now he's out of the league forever. His loss, not ours for trying to give the kid a shot.

We have limited money and limited draft picks. This is a no brainer to me but I'm like a shark in the water hunting for that Lombardi Trophy... I smell blood in the water.

26 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Virginia says she wants to win a Super Bowl, let's be honest, she doesn't have a long window left. Hunt makes the possibility of that happening better. 

I think due to that it won't just be Hunt we show interest in...even without a huge budget I expect us to be very aggressive this offseason because Pace understands he is in the Trubisky window as well...can't keep everyone when we have to pay him.

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think due to that it won't just be Hunt we show interest in...even without a huge budget I expect us to be very aggressive this offseason because Pace understands he is in the Trubisky window as well...can't keep everyone when we have to pay him.

Yep. Pace is aggressively going to try to plug holes wherever they are and he is aggressive enough I wouldn't rule out him doing a trade back either. Seems to have a ton of faith in scouting and his own eyes, might believe he can find someone to replace Amos or Massie in the draft even then. 

Going to be interesting offseason for sure. 

Another way to put this Kareem Hunt potential move in light... how does he stack up to RBs in this draft class and free agency?

He likely will be suspended for 6 games or so and come with baggage, but for us he'll be cheap, a perfect  fit, AND has history/success with this coach.

FA:

TJ Yeldon

Alex Collins

Ameer Abdullah

Tevin Coleman

Ty Montgomery

Jay Ajayi

Spencer Ware

Draft:

Justice Hill (small)

Bryce Love (injured)

Elijah Holyfield (weed/paraphernalia arrest)

12 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I just don't see the Bears or Pace making this kind of move. It makes sense and it's nice to hope for it but this organization is pretty conservative about off-field issues.

I wouldn't say they are conservative.  They signed Ray MacDonald knowing he had a history of DV and put up with guys like Tank Johnson, Brandon Marshall, etc. 

Now that the season is over and I am back to cheering for the Vikings, my opinion on whether the Bears should go after Hunt is: 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two weeks ago when I could cheer for the Bears without any guilt I would have been saying:

Heck yeah, go get this guy!  He would be a dream for Trubisky to work with.

Personally, I don't think what he did was all that bad.  It was nowhere near the level of the knucklehead that knocked his girlfriend out on the elevator (I can't even remember his name now).  As others have said, some team is going to put Kareem Hunt back on the field.  It might as well be the Bears.  Fans will forget about his minor transgression when he is housing long TD's.

Kareem Hunt was an idiot [crime]

He is going to be suspended and lose millions [punishment]

He then deserves a chance to re-start his life and career [rehabilitation]

This is very simple and the Bears should look into signing him once he has completed his punishment.

Archived