Kyler Murray

LoganF89

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

5'10 1/16 207 lbs.

1/16th of an inch? Really? The NFL is really trying to help Murray out to get him a fraction. As best as I can recall, the previous fractions were always 1/8" at the smallest.

Anyone old enough to remember the Andy Griffith show where Barney had to meet a height and weight number to keep his job? Funny show !  They put him in a stretch device to hang by his neck to get him half inch taller and used a chain around his neck for his deputy tags -big enough to hold King Kong . ( Hidden under his shirt of course ! )

He passed-- I think thar may be some shenanigans here too! :ph34r:

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Anyone old enough to remember the Andy Griffith show where Barney had to meet a height and weight number to keep his job? Funny show !  They put him in a stretch device to hang by his neck to get him half inch taller and used a chain around his neck for his deputy tags -big enough to hold King Kong . ( Hidden under his shirt of course ! )

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of something like that or this:

TB2wECxcnmWBKNjSZFBXXXxUFXa_!!1779369856

59 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Sorry not old enough.  Sounds painful though lol.  

This is one of the trickier calls in recent memory for me. I know I wouldn’t trade up for Murray. The issue is whether I’d take him if he was on the board at 15 (which I doubt he will be). 

On one hand, he just finished what was probably the best statistical QB season in the history of college football. Just on his passing alone, it was arguably the best ever documented — and then he added 1000 rushing yards on top of that. It was a better season than Mayfield ever had there prior to becoming a seemingly worthy #1 pick. And he did it without Mark Andrews and Rodney Anderson (who, incidentally, I think is a beast and we should draft). 

On the other hand, the red flags with this guy are  numerous. The baseball thing. The height thing. The weight thing. The Air Raid QB thing. The running QB thing. The “you played with elite talent at almost every position” thing.

Without knowing him, everything I’m about to say is complete and total speculation. Actually getting to know him, meeting him, grilling him in the interview and on the white board — that’s something we as fans never get a chance to do. But my biggest concern with him comes down to intangibles. And I have no reason to believe he’s a bad kid, or not a good leader/teammate/student of the game. He’s probably all those things. But with a real disadvantage, like his size is, I think he needs more than “good” intangibles to become an NFL franchise QB.

The two most recent QBs who saw major draft questions about their height — Mayfield and Russell Wilson — had very different paths to the NFL than Murray has had. They had to overcome a ton of obstacles just to get on anybody’s radar for the NFL. No one wanted them or believed in them. In different ways (brash and defiant versus cool and unflappable), their entire personas developed out of their constant battles to overcome doubters and adversity.

Murray, on the other hand, was the National Recruit of the Year. He got offers from top programs in every corner of the country. He was a top 10 baseball draft pick and got handed a $4M signing bonus while he was still in college. He transferred out of A&M when things didn’t start well for him. Went to Oklahoma and eventually stepped into a great environment for him to succeed, and he killed it instantly. Wins a Heisman trophy and will be a top NFL draft pick as well.

The game is going to be more difficult for him than it is for other (bigger) QBs. Especially ones who have more experience in pro-style schemes. Guys like Mayfield and Wilson have been able to take on that challenge and succeed. But they’ve been doing that their whole lives. Will the same be true for the 5-star recruit, baseball star, instant Heisman winner? It wasn’t for our previous 1st round QB, who — while I loved him — did not handle adversity well. When everything has come easy for you, it’s difficult  to develop that ability to respond by fighting and grinding more than anybody else when things start to get really, really hard.

Archived