Kyler Murray

LoganF89

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

My foot is already halfway out the door rooting for this franchise, if they draft Murray I’m straight up walking out. 

I get not wanting us to draft him because you don't think he will be a good QB. But really you'd stop being a fan over drafting a guy who is a good guy and could at the very least be fun to root for and hope he can prove all the naysayers wrong and be a trailblazer for the little guys? I could understand this statement if it was a player that is a bad guy. But I don't think Murray should warrant fan quitting. Also he'd probably bring in more fans than we would lose. That being said I don't want us to get him either. 

21 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I get not wanting us to draft him because you don't think he will be a good QB. But really you'd stop being a fan over drafting a guy who is a good guy and could at the very least be fun to root for and hope he can prove all the naysayers wrong and be a trailblazer for the little guys? I could understand this statement if it was a player that is a bad guy. But I don't think Murray should warrant fan quitting. Also he'd probably bring in more fans than we would lose. That being said I don't want us to get him either. 

Perhaps you missed where I said I already have one foot out the door.....

Drafting Murray would be nail in the coffin for me for 20 years of Dan Snyder’s crap.

I’ll say it again, die hard fans can’t totally quit the Redskins. Maybe they’ll care a little less but they’ll still pay attention to a certain extent. And, if they ever get good again, they’ll jump right back on the bandwagon. Everyone who’s been aroundhere for a decade or near it knows I was born to two Steelers fans in 1979 just after they won their 3rd or 4th Super Bowl. So, I wasn’t a Redskins fan until elementary school when I a# 5. So, when the Redskins really upset me about a decade ago in 09 I tried to quit them and just root for the  Steelers, it didn’t last even a week. lol 😂 

On 2/11/2019 at 8:15 PM, turtle28 said:

I’m with you, I have Hollywood and Samuel higher than they do. You just can’t gloss over speed & quickness. These guys have “it” they’re late 1st or early 2nd in my eyes.

The best WR in the NFL fell to round 5 bc of size and he played for a mid-America school and not a power 5 school. 

Look at Carson Wentz. Where you played and what size you were when you went to college has little to do with draft day in my eyes as long as the guy shows the ability to take it to the next level and dominates the competition on his mid-American level or FCS level. 

For the record, I have no dog in the fight regarding the order of the WRs (I have never tried to project college players to the pros because I don't watch much if any college ball). I just knew that others here had different orderings. Hence my "I will leave it to the rest of you to discuss/debate the merits of that order" comment.

For the record (again?), I don't want Washington to draft Murray because I don't believe he will stay with football if he is drafted by a team he doesn't like. Unless and until he gives back the money he got from the Athletics, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Oakland paid Murray a $4.66MM signing bonus in last summer’s draft, and while they’ll reportedly recoup the vast majority of that sum, they won’t be given a compensatory pick in the 2019 draft to make up for Murray’s decision to choose an NFL career over MLB. More specifically, ESPN’s Jeff Passan tweets that Murray will return $1.29MM of the $1.5MM of his signing bonus that has been paid out to him so far. He’ll also forfeit the remaining $3.16MM that would have been paid to him on March 1.

-MLBTR

He's returning or will not get a large sum of that money.  

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He's going to get more as a top 10 pick. 

Especially if he does well enough to earn the 5th year option. Long term though, he could make more in baseball if he’s good enough to make to the majors and play for 15 years. The money between the two sports for good to great players is not comparable, same with basketball.

44 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Especially if he does well enough to earn the 5th year option. Long term though, he could make more in baseball if he’s good enough to make to the majors and play for 15 years. The money between the two sports for good to great players is not comparable, same with basketball.

Yes but team control is much longer in baseball. He could just toil around in the minors for awhile and never even make the show. Ultimately if everything breaks the correct way for him he ends like Jeff Smardjia and gets paid or he ends up like Drew Henson and bombs. I'd take the money from football as he could always try baseball if football doesn't work out.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:45 PM, lavar703 said:

Yes but team control is much longer in baseball. He could just toil around in the minors for awhile and never even make the show. Ultimately if everything breaks the correct way for him he ends like Jeff Smardjia and gets paid or he ends up like Drew Henson and bombs. I'd take the money from football as he could always try baseball if football doesn't work out.

It is hard to peg ceilings and floors in any sport (remember Aaron Curry who was supposed to be, at worst, an above average, nearly Pro Bowl level starter?) but the floor for Murray in MLB looks to be Mike Cameron-esque.  Lower average, but great speed on the basepaths, above average power, great defense.  That kind of contract is getting 4/$60 to $5/$80 to $6/$100 right now for comparable players at different ends of the spectrum.  Murray will get the guaranteed money early on, but unless he is a top 10 QB in the league (and 1/3 QBs in the first round usually hits just as a starter, forget top 10 guy) then he can likely make more in MLB long-term.  

Billy Hamilton is about to mke 5.6M this year and he sucks outside the fact that he’s fast. I hope it works out for him in football, he’s an exciting player, but my gut says it won’t. So many things can go wrong whether it be injury, poor play, or just being in the wrong system. 

I hope to god the Redskins don’t draft him though, would be a death wish on his career.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It is hard to peg ceilings and floors in any sport (remember Aaron Curry who was supposed to be, at worst, an above average, nearly Pro Bowl level starter?) but the floor for Murray in MLB looks to be Mike Cameron-esque.  Lower average, but great speed on the basepaths, above average power, great defense.  That kind of contract is getting 4/$60 to $5/$80 to $6/$100 right now for comparable players at different ends of the spectrum.  Murray will get the guaranteed money early on, but unless he is a top 10 QB in the league (and 1/3 QBs in the first round usually hits just as a starter, forget top 10 guy) then he can likely make more in MLB long-term.  

His floor is a 50 win, 3x Gold Glove winning  All-Star? A kid with less than 300 college PAs? Mike Cameron was a damn good player — it would be a hugely successful draft pick if he became Mike Cameron.

His floor is Donovan Tate or Bubba Starling or any other hotshot super-athlete with a limited baseball track record. Speed, probably good defense, strong arm. But until you learn whether he can hit professional pitching, it’s a roll of the dice like every other MLB draft pick. 

Archived