Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Agree he's shown some potential covering WR and showing ball skills in coverage. He's actually a pretty strong guy for his size and I've seen his frame on social media. Dude looks like he can get jacked in an NFL weight program and definitely add 10-15 pounds to get to that 230-240 range that a lot of LB play at.

Muse doesn't have bad hips but he needs more reps in 1 on 1 coverage so he can get better at anticipating route combos. He already has the speed to be a chase down player a will and blitz off the edge.

He has elite speed in a straight line. I actually think he played pretty fast at clemson.

I think he's naturally a will in the NFL and a 3rd LB in 3 LB sets. If he can become a savvy coverage player, he could become a good starter over time. Right now a backup/subpackage player and special teamer is a fine way to start.

He was taken at the very back end of the 3rd. If you called him an early 4th, I don't see a terrible reach.

I did like Akeem Davis Gaither, but he has less athletic upside than Muse, though his floor is definitely higher. 

Thankfully we have the luxury to develop a "hybrid" player like muse 

On 4/18/2020 at 8:05 AM, NYRaider said:

If we're going to take a developmental LB I hope we take Tanner Muse. Converted SS with a ton of experience playing in the box and elite athleticism for the position. He's not fluid enough to play safety in the league but he was elite on coverage snaps in the box in college, only giving up 184 yards on 401 snaps. 

Not comparing the two on the field but...

Tanner Muse 6'2" 227

40 time: 4.41

Vertical: 34.5" 

Broad jump: 124" 

20 yard shuttle: 4.12

3-cone: 6.84

Bench reps: 20

Devin White 6'0" 237

40 time: 4.42

Vertical: 39.5" 

Broad jump: 118" 

20 yard shuttle: 4.17

3-cone: 7.07

Bench reps: 22

@NYRaider was on it. Definitely an athletic profile worth gambling on.

• Like 1

With Muse the ceiling is pretty high and the good thing is that while his football floor might be pretty low (IMO) he has great ST potential, so his overall floor is solid. With that said I still think he was a reach :D

• Like 1

I don't know about "worthy" gamble as that has to take into account the pick we used on him. He's a project player with athletic upside but no clear path to a starting job on defense. He is best profiled as a WILL but that is Littleton who is being paid handsomely for that role. 

That's not what 3rd round picks should be. Special teams are nice but shouldnt really be a priority for day 2 picks. He should have been picked in the 5th or later to be a worthy gamble. Right now he's just a gamble.

• Like 1