🦅🤠 NFC East 🤷‍♂️🆘 | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

How damaged is the Cousins/Redskins Front Office relationship at this point though?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/08/16/kirk-cousins-tells-espns-sal-paolantonio-he-would-love-to-be-a-redskin-for-life/?utm_term=.6872dadf0239 

“I would love to be,” Cousins replied. “If you could, say, draw it up, I’d be a Redskin the rest of my career. When you look at the best of the best, those quarterbacks played with one team. And if you point at a couple guys who didn’t, who changed teams, it really was against their will. I think if Joe Montana or Peyton Manning had their way, they would’ve stayed where they had won Super Bowls and played so well. They wouldn’t have had to leave. So, my desire is to stay with one team my entire career, and that would be Washington.”

Now that answer sounds a bit more familiar.

“When you look around the league and you see quarterbacks, great quarterbacks, they nearly all played for only one team,” Cousins told 106.7 the Fan’s Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier a day after last month’s deadline to reach an agreement on a long-term contract. “And the ones that haven’t, it really wasn’t their choice. It was usually the situation dictated that they had to move on, but that wasn’t their preference. So I’m not different. I would love to be with the Redskins long term and that’s why I think that there’s still a lot of hope that next offseason, when the season ends, the Redskins are going to have I think about two months to be the exclusive team that I can talk with.”

During an appearance on ESPN 980’s “Inside the Locker Room” on Tuesday, Paolantonio was asked how sincere he thought Cousins was in answering questions about his potential future in Washington.

“There’s nothing that he said, or in his behavior, and I have covered him his entire career, that has ever suggested to me that the young man was not sincere,” Paolantonio said. “I’m very impressed always when meeting him that he’s entirely sincere, and I think he laid it out pretty clearly, exactly what he’s trying to do here, what his motivations are, and when he said that to me [Monday], I found that to be utterly believable.”

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Last I checked the Eagles we're leading and part of the NFCE. We're not to discuss the Eagles or their players in our own forum? Only the other three teams apply for discussion in the NFCE Thread? 

You guys only discuss the in's and out of the Eagles, Skins and Giants in the Dallas Forum Thread? Or primarily stick to your own?

Pretty much, or at least, thats how I view it. Like if I wanted to read about Jay A trade, i would go to its separate thread here instead of talking about it in NFC E. Maybe thats just me.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:
8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Last I checked the Eagles we're leading and part of the NFCE. We're not to discuss the Eagles or their players in our own forum? Only the other three teams apply for discussion in the NFCE Thread? 

You guys only discuss the in's and out of the Eagles, Skins and Giants in the Dallas Forum Thread? Or primarily stick to your own?

Pretty much, or at least, thats how I view it. Like if I wanted to read about Jay A trade, i would go to its separate thread here instead of talking about it in NFC E. Maybe thats just me.

I guess I can understand why you would think that given your Forum attempt at a NFCE Thread. 3 pgs total and not a single post in almost 3 Weeks , understandable. Now I understand why you come in here for conversation.

Apologies

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

I guess I can understand why you would think that given your Forum attempt at a NFCE Thread. 3 pgs total and not a single post in almost 3 Weeks , understandable. Now I understand why you come in here for conversation.

Apologies

All is forgiven. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Kirk seems like the type of guy who would say, and mean, that. But his agent is probably less loyal. 

Ya but here's the thing, I don't think he's going to want to go to a total trainwreck like the Browns.  He's going to want to play for a contender.  He turns 30 next year, he doesn't have time to work through a rebuild.  Here's the ranking of team's 2018 cap space:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

So who even needs a new starting QB and where are they on this list?  

Jets - $62 mil in cap space.  Been surprisingly competitive this season.  However, they have a pretty crappy WR core, a leaky Oline, and an aging RB.  Their supporting cast isn't exactly ideal.  Also I'm not sure Cousins would appreciate the NY media.  Definitely a threat though if they want to throw a ton of money his way.  

Odds, 4/10.

49ers - $61 mil in cap space.  They have a semi-decent Oline and they signed Cousins favorite WR target in Pierre Garcon.  They also have Kyle Shanahan, the guy that was with Washington when Cousins came into the league.  SF is also a pretty cool city that I could see Cousins enjoying.  However, they just traded for Jimmy G, so unless he's a complete disaster they won't even make Cousins an offer.  Would have been the biggest threat to Washington, now not so much.

Odds, 1/10.

Browns - $54 mil in cap space.  If Joe Thomas doesn't retire I think they have a capable Oline.  They have no WR talent though.  I don't think Cousins would mind living in Cleveland, he seems like a middle America kind of guy.  If Cousins just wants to get paid the most money, this is where he should go.  However, I think Cousins cares about winning too much to do that.  

Odds, 6/10.

Vikings - $50 mil in cap space.  Now here's a real contender.  Probably a playoff roster that needs a QB, tons of cap space.  Decent WR core, not amazing but decent.  Oline needs some work but is serviceable.  Dalvin Cook should be back.  Vikings are probably one of the biggest threats to steal Cousins.  

Odds, 8/10.

Cardinals - $33 mil in cap space.  The Cardinals feel like a team that is past its prime.  Their best WR is nearing retirement, and their Oline needs work.  They have a fantastic RB though.  Still, it feels like the Cardinals have too many holes to fill to put $27-28 mil of their cap towards Cousins.  

Odds, 3/10.

Giants - $30 mil in cap space.  If the Giants were willing to dump Eli Manning they'd be a real contender for Cousins.  They have a great WR core and good defense to back the team up.  Their Oline obviously needs a lot of work though.  Still, no way Eli leaves and I think Snyder would match any contract to keep him from going to a division rival.  

Odds, 0/10.

Bills - $30 mil in cap space.  Solid Oline, they picked up Kelvin Benjamin but the rest of the WRs are meh.  They've seemed willing to dump Tyrod Taylor, but they've balked at paying an expensive QB.  Can't see them targeting Cousins for that reason.  

Odds, 1/10.

After that you start getting to teams who probably don't have enough cap space to make a competitive offer.  Maybe the Charger if Phillip Rivers retires, but their team is a mess right now with the whole relocation thing, I don't see Cousins leaving for that.  The Broncos only have $23 mil in space so I don't see how they could make an offer expensive enough for us not to match.  The Dolphins are always willing to spend like crazy, but they only have $17 mil, and even if they dump Tannehill signing Cousins would put them up right against the cap.  

Tha'ts about it.  So the way I see it is, either Cousins chases big money on a loser like the Browns or Jets, for which he'd get paid so much money we couldn't match.  Or he gets an offer from a contender that's going to offer him a reasonable deal that we'll just match.  I really don't see Cousins chasing the money and going to a loser. 

One last thing, by "reasonable" deal, I mean something in lines with what Stafford or Carr got this past year.  So a TON of money.  Just not INSANE level money.  

Think we'll probably cut Torrey Smith and Brent Celek this upcoming off-season. Creates $5 Million and $4 Million in cap room, taking us from about $4.6 million to $13.6 Million in space available with that move alone. The next most likely that I could see cut for cap room is Chris Long.

Edited by Danger

Just now, MKnight82 said:

He won them a Superbowl.  No way they dump him.  Just like the Giants won't dump Eli.

If they don't bring Payton back, there's no guarantee what happens to Brees. His deal is up, they don't have to dump him.

41 minutes ago, Danger said:

Think we'll probably cut Torrey Smith and Brent Celek this upcoming off-season. Creates $5 Million and $4 Million in cap room, taking us from about $4.6 million to $13.6 Million in space available with that move alone. The next most likely that I could see cut for cap room is Chris Long.

Add Sproles and Peters to that list as well. No way either are brought back at their salaries "post" injury if they decide to try another year. When it comes to Cap munipulatation. 

In Howie , I Trust.

Edited by Nabbs4u

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Add Sproles and Peters to that list as well. No way either are brought back at their salaries "post" injury. When it comes to Cap munipulatation. 

In Howie , I Trust.

Sproles isn't under contract next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Peters come back, but given his injury I wouldn't do it.

That's an additional $8 Million

Some other names I think will absolutely come off the books:
Donell Pumphrey
Shelton Gibson
Justin Hamilton already gone.

With those names gone we'd have about $24 Million in spending. Not counting Chris Long who'd rake in about $2.25 million.