πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Wanna translate?

It means everyone who picked up Alfred Morris wasted their time, for now.

5 minutes ago, Phire said:

Aaaand Zeke's playing this Sunday. Administrative stay.

I may kill myself before this ends.

Just now, Danger said:

Wanna translate?

Brief rundown of events:

• NFLPA filed in Texas. Judge granted him an injunction lifting suspension.
  • NFL appealed. Appeals court overturned saying NFLPA shouldn't have filed suit before arbitration was finished. Suspended again.
  • NFLPA filed in New York. Pretty much same argument, but this is after arbitration.
  • Substitute judge grants TRO to maintain status quo until the actual judge gets back from vacation.
  • Judge Failla comes back from vacation and says NFL wins. No injunction and NFLPA should essentially bargain for a better CBA.

At this point, the NFLPA/Zeke could risk appealing again... but they have no idea how it'll go down. One big hurdle was what litigation strategy the NFLPA would pursue. Would you risk Zeke being suspended even later in the season? Or just give it up and take the suspension now? Well, they want to appeal.

• NFLPA appeals.
  • NFLPA also files an emergency motion for an administrative stay of the suspension until the appeals court can take a second look at the case.
  • The administrative stay, pretty much, says Zeke shouldn't be suspended until the appeals court takes a full look at it.
  • The appeals court granted it, and will take a second look.

To use an analogy to explain the administrative stay...

Let's say you get in trouble with your supervisor. Your supervisorΒ wants to fire you. Your supervisor looks things over and determines you messed up. The supervisor is ready to fire you on the spot but you convince the supervisor to let another supervisor look at what happened. You convince the supervisor not to fire you until the second supervisor makes a determination. Something like that.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

So. Sounds like he'll be playing against us in 2 weeks.

The reality is anything can happen. It's really the eye of the beholder in these situations. There's no guarantee of anything. The same judge might view things differently on Monday than on Tuesday.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the decisions aren't really about the underlying facts. A lot of the legal analysis is about labor law, arbitration review, and boring stuff like that. This is also the same appeals court that decided the Brady cases and upheld his suspension. If I had to speculate, Zeke's getting suspended. But depending on how fast things move, it could be this year, or maybe even next year. There's a small chance he wins the whole case, but again, it's unlikely given the CBA.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Just looking at these figures here.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/
2018, I guess it doesn't have the numbers for pre June 1st or something

Β 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/vinny-curry-9869/
Are we not saving $5 Million, according to my math from this here. Remove the $11 Million cap hit, lose the aforementioned $6 million in dead money. I'm trying to learn the whole shindig with how the NFL cap works, still pretty new to a lot of the terminology.

Yeah, we would save 5 million and take a 6 million cap hit.

You said in the previous post that we would save 9 million and I was trying to explain how that is only if we cut him with a June 1st designation which doesn't help free up any money for free agency as his contract is still on the books until June when free agency is long over.

Most of the time teams do June 1st designations if they need to getΒ under the cap enough to sign their rookie class.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, we would save 5 million and take a 6 million cap hit.

You said in the previous post that we would save 9 million and I was trying to explain how that is only if we cut him with a June 1st designation which doesn't help free up any money for free agency as his contract is still on the books until June when free agency is long over.

Alright so why are we taking the 6 Million twice? We wouldn't be on the hook for his $11 Million, but we'd have the $6 Million in dead money. Where is this other $6 Million coming from? Bear with me, new to this all.

Β 

And it was done with Chase Daniel last year IIRC, but isn't there an option to designate a single player as a June 1st cut ahead of time, and then be able to use that money during FA period?

Edited by Danger