Evaluating Gutenkunst's first year

James Lofton

24 minutes ago, SSG said:

Good post.  Like I said in the quoted, the TE drafts in 14, 15 and 16 were pretty rough.  I'd probably change a couple (I liked Njouku more than King and would have preferred Goedert over Jackson though I didn't mind his value at the time) but I agree with most of it.  I also think at the time of the draft there wasn't a gap between Clark and Henry.  I wanted Henry because I thought he was a better player at the time and the TE class wasn't nearly as deep as the DT class.  

Doesn't that just kinda go to show that anytime you're thinking of spending a high pick on a TE, that you should not and spend the pick on the premium?

I thought Gute had a pretty good year, though a lot depends on if the great athletes that he's drafting actually develop.

I only have two complains in that keeping Cobb over Nelson was just plain stupid in my mind... Nelson was always better when Rodgers was at QB, and Nelson had a special chemistry with Rodgers, especially in the red zone which they never we're able to replace. (Yes I know Adams scored a lot of TDs, but Rodgers to Nelson was a lot more almost automatic).

And then releasing Whitehead... though maybe there is more to the story than I know, but he seemed like the best Safety we had, if the attention was to send a message, I think that failed... and it hurts the team not having Haha nor Whitehead (and we got something for Haha, but nothing for Whitehead). Only good I saw come out of releasing him was it got Josh Jones on the field to show he looks good at dime LB and questionable at Safety... but is he gonna work harder and learn Safety? Or we gonna move him to full time dime DB?

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Doesn't that just kinda go to show that anytime you're thinking of spending a high pick on a TE, that you should not and spend the pick on the premium?

I don't think it shows that at all.  What good has it done us by spending high picks on DBs over the last 4 years?  We've used our first 2 picks on DBs in 3 of the 4 last drafts and we've still got major issues in the position group.  Because we've thrown damn near 100% of our premium picks at the defensive backfield over the last 4 years we've got a defense that has to bring the house to get pressure and an offense that looked terrible for the majority of last season. 

We seen in San Fran, Philly and KC that a high end TE is every bit as valuable as a good DT or good CB.  You could surely make an argument about a top tier OLB being more important but the chances of us landing a blue chip edge rusher at 12 in this year's draft is slim to none.  

32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It could just as well show that you take the TE if he is going to be a difference maker because there aren't very many difference makers at TE.

21 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't think it shows that at all.  What good has it done us by spending high picks on DBs over the last 4 years?  We've used our first 2 picks on DBs in 3 of the 4 last drafts and we've still got major issues in the position group.  Because we've thrown damn near 100% of our premium picks at the defensive backfield over the last 4 years we've got a defense that has to bring the house to get pressure and an offense that looked terrible for the majority of last season. 

We seen in San Fran, Philly and KC that a high end TE is every bit as valuable as a good DT or good CB.  You could surely make an argument about a top tier OLB being more important but the chances of us landing a blue chip edge rusher at 12 in this year's draft is slim to none.  

The 13th and 20th best offenses in the league?

If you think Ertz/Kelce/Kittle are as valuable as Cox/Jones/Buckner, you're on drugs. 

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The 13th and 20th best offenses in the league?

If you think Ertz/Kelce/Kittle are as valuable as Cox/Jones/Buckner, you're on drugs. 

I wouldn't go so far as to say on drugs, but....

Those 6 guys listed there should show everyone that you need to take premium positions high and wait on non-premium.  Kelce/Ertz/Kittle...great players, no doubt.  Also not first round picks.

The Athletic has an article up on Gute's personnel and scouting teams:

"The pro side would be handled by co-director of player personnel John Wojciechowski, assistant director of pro scouting Chad Brinker, personnel executive Lee Gissendaner and pro scout Richmond Williams, whose collective task was to monitor the NFL and Canadian Football League.

The college ranks, meanwhile, would be handled by the organization’s fleet of area scouts, many of whom had been dropped into new regions for the first time, and a triumvirate of upper-level evaluators who cross-checked their work throughout the season: co-director of player personnel Jon-Eric Sullivan, director of college scouting Matt Malaspina and national scout Sam Seale, all of whom were promoted within the last year.

Gutekunst’s reorganization of the scouting department offered new opportunities for several members of his staff. Luke Benuska, who spent the prior season as a member of the pro staff, relocated to Pasadena, Calif., as a college scout for the West region. Brandian Ross, who earned a full-time job after an extended stint as a scouting intern, was named a college scout in the Midlands region and moved to Kansas City, Mo. While Patrick Moore, whom the Packers hired away from the Browns, was assigned the lucrative Southeast region, which has some of college football’s best talent "

Plenty of fresh blood and some re-organization, promotion of the existing guys

Archived