Daniel Jeremiah's Mock #1

goldfishwars

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Even if you release Malik Jackson?

If they do, they’re going to put Taven Bryan there - for better or worse. It’s the whole reason he was drafted in the first place. 

On 1/19/2019 at 8:56 PM, IDOG_det said:

I actually think he got the Lions pick exactly right. I just think the Lions take Hockenson after a trade down.

I really, really like Hockenson. Him being mocked at 8 makes me very sad

On 1/18/2019 at 4:41 PM, goldfishwars said:

Caused a bit of a stir - always interested to see what he does because of his contacts around the league. 

It does sort of come off like he put Murray to NE and worked backwards from there. 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:48 AM, SBLIII said:

Jaylon Ferguson seems pretty underrated to me. If he is not a 1st round pick he will be a major steal imo.

The class is so deep in DL/EDGE that some real quality players will fall unto the 2nd round.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:23 AM, pwny said:

Literally the only thing the Jaguars don't need right now is another DT.

I would figure it being a Malik Jackson replacement since he already says he thinks he's getting cut and someone to groom behind Dareus who will turn 30 next year.

6 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I would figure it being a Malik Jackson replacement since he already says he thinks he's getting cut and someone to groom behind Dareus who will turn 30 next year.

Already have Taven Bryan who they drafted in the 1st round last year, ostensibly for that purpose of replacing Malik Jackson as a 3T though.  That's the only place he looked decent.  And Abry Jones is still around, as a guy who will probably be more of a Dareus replacement.

Still think if anything on the DLine is worthy of a top pick from the Jaguars, it'd be a guy to groom as an eventual Calais Campbell replacement, and/or a guy to fill that Dante Fowler role coming off the edge when Calais kicks inside.  More of a DE type who could fill both roles in the rotation makes more sense to me, since Taven has looked like a massive liability on the edge.

12 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I think Taven Bryan had a disastrous rookie season for the most part. But the entire reason that they drafted him was to take on that role this upcoming season. I can’t see them cutting bait on that plan and drafting a second first round DT to do it instead. And with Abry Jones and Eli Ankou as the two guys behind them, they have decent enough depth that it isn’t really a need. 

Literally every other position (outside of Kicker, if we keep Lambo) is a bigger need than DT. We have no starting QB. We’ll probably have one RB on the roster after cuts. We need at least one starting WR, possibly 2. We need a starting TE (even if ASJ is wrong about being let go). We have one tackle that deserves to be on the team next year. We need a starting RG (or Center, as Linder could move out if they get a C instead of RG) and depth across the whole OL.

On the DL, Calais’s DE spot is a more important piece to get someone behind than DT, and it would be a good idea to have a rotational piece there with Fowler gone as well. And if we’re talking protection against an aging player, Calais will turn 33 before the start of next season. SLB isn’t a pressing need, but an upgraded starter isn’t a terrible idea, and there’s a legitimate argument to be made that Myles Jack might not be cut out to be a MLB. If you’re looking for a groom to play position, CB might be the big one for us; AJ Bouye and DJ Hayden could both be gone after next season. We also might be looking for a starting Safety if they decide to part with Gipson and we’ll need someone other than Jarrod Wilson who deserves playing time as a backup. And Logan Cooke is a mediocre Punter. 

Obviously a lot of those aren’t targets that you would hit in round one, but I can’t imagine that DT is a bigger need than any of them this year unless they force it into being a need by cutting both Jackson and Dareus. And what a stupid idea that would be with all the other needs and literally everyone’s job on the line.

Archived