Streaming Cable- FUBOTV vs Sling TV vs Direct TV Now vs Youtube TV

52 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Have PlaystationVue.  I like it and rarely have any streaming issues, but prices have continued to creep up and at this point it is basically the same cost as cable I think.

OK.....dumb question from an old fart.

Here goes....

Do I need to have a PS4 in order to have PlaystationVue?

21 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

OK.....dumb question from an old fart.

Here goes....

Do I need to have a PS4 in order to have PlaystationVue?

Nope. I stream mine on a Roku. Works on similar devices (apple tv/amazon fire) as well and can use on PS4. I think you can also watch on mobile, but I've never tried.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Nope. I stream mine on a Roku. Works on similar devices (apple tv/amazon fire) as well and can use on PS4. I think you can also watch on mobile, but I've never tried.

Thanks.  We pay a TON for cable/phone/internet through our local cable company, so I am looking to go to streaming, while ramping up our wifi speed.  

My wife has some serious restrictions (Must have Hallmark, Bravo, Lifetime, HGTV, Food Network, A&E)  I am working on a list for her to help us in our decision.

Just dropped cable and got Youtube TV. Like it so far, easy to use and good menus and search features. No issues with cut outs, but I have pretty good internet (close to 200 mbps). Love the unlimited cloud DVR.

Only downside so far is that I had to sell my fire stick in my bedroom, as it's not compatible. No biggie though, I got a roku stream stick to replace it and it came with month free of youtube TV. So it was basically free.

BTW, that offer from Roku is still going on till March for those who might be thinking of switching...

I've had DTVN since it launched and I don't have many problems with it, and my Internet isn't great. I pay $40/mo (Go Big plan) and get free HBO. 

Also tried Sling in the past and ran into some problems with that skipping and such. 

I would say take advantage of the trials these services offer and go with whichever you like most. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 3:41 PM, JTagg7754 said:

What speeds are y'all rocking for these streams that don't pixelate the hell out of it or cause buffering issues?

That is the question that I have too.  I've been running the test on mine, and it is around 105 mps.  

I watch a ton of Australian Rules Football through their international app (best $149 I spend every year) and I get the ocassional buffering, but that might be because I am running it through a 5 y.o. Macbook, and then sending it to my tv through my Chromecast.  

Our youngest is heading off to college in the fall, so I am wondering if I'll have to bump up my speed even though she won't be dominating our home wifi anymore.  :( 

After looking at all of the different ones to choose from, the Directv NOW looks like it has everything that we're looking for.  All told, this should end up saving us about $100 a month.  

Hell, in a couple years, I'll have saved enough to actually GO to Australia to watch a game or two.  :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 9:54 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Thanks.  We pay a TON for cable/phone/internet through our local cable company, so I am looking to go to streaming, while ramping up our wifi speed.  

My wife has some serious restrictions (Must have Hallmark, Bravo, Lifetime, HGTV, Food Network, A&E)  I am working on a list for her to help us in our decision.

Well, I'd made a decision (1st one I got to make in our 23 years of marriage.  :|) ......decided to go with Directv Now.......

Now redeciding, as they've "retooled" (emphasis on "tooled") their plans, and have cut a ton of content, while raising their prices.

Looking like Sling might be our best option, although the others are looking palatable as well (to an extent), and am thinking that there are a few shows that are on networks that aren't carried, where I'll need to buy a season pass on itunes.

Another question for those of you who've cut the cord.  If any of you are using the CBS All-Access as your portal into CBS content, are you able to get your local NFL team (Cleveland for me) streaming through that service?