Is the Saints Window Closed?

footbull3196

Is the Saints window closed?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Saints window closed?

• Yes
    • No, but it’s only open next year
    • No, and it’s open multiple years into the future

They'll have a shot next year, but I think realistically this was the last best opportunity they could have asked for. Brees's arm is dying. It won't last much longer, especially if he is forced to go on the road to a place like Soldier Field, Lambeau, or The Link in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, KellChippy said:

I do think this was their last best chance, but the window is not entirely over.  They could definitely improve on a few of their weaknesses.

I think they need to hit big in their next QB they have to groom after Brees.  Their defense is young and talented, they have some great weapons on offense and a good/great OL when healthy that will likely improve with time and increase cap amount.

Unfortunately I think the best QB the Saints have a chance at this year would be Will Grier in the 2nd and I don't think he's the answer for the Saints.  Kyler Murray could fall to the 2nd/spot for the Saints to draft him, but at 5'9 and needing to be in a shotgun only offense would be bad for the Saints since we don't have the caliber of receiving threats needed to make it work.  Maybe if Drew Locker falls into the later half of the 1st they could find a way to move up, but that means another future 1st going out the window possibly more.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think they need to hit big in their next QB they have to groom after Brees.  Their defense is young and talented, they have some great weapons on offense and a good/great OL when healthy that will likely improve with time and increase cap amount.

Unfortunately I think the best QB the Saints have a chance at this year would be Will Grier in the 2nd and I don't think he's the answer for the Saints.  Kyler Murray could fall to the 2nd/spot for the Saints to draft him, but at 5'9 and needing to be in a shotgun only offense would be bad for the Saints since we don't have the caliber of receiving threats needed to make it work.  Maybe if Drew Locker falls into the later half of the 1st they could find a way to move up, but that means another future 1st going out the window possibly more.

What about Teddy?

2 minutes ago, Slingin' Sammy said:

What about Teddy?

I wasn't impressed with what he showed against the Panthers and we even had a good number of starters playing that game. Not to mention he's going to be a FA and if Brees returns for one more year I'm not sure he will want to stick around on a lesser deal when I'm sure a team like Jacksonville would be willing to give him a bigger deal and the chance to start right away.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I would try to get Teddy Bridgewater some action here and there next season and see if they can get him ready for the transition when Brees retires

I don’t see why he would resign with them unless he’s OK playing backup still 

2 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I think Brees might be done, honestly. He didn’t look good yesterday, arm wise, and if you compare his early season stats to his late/post season stats, there’s a big drop off. Reminds me of Peyton in 2014. One more year might be 1 too many.

His stats decline had a lot more to do with protection breaking down as the season went on than his arm IMO. The left side of his line was trash the final 5 or so games of the season... I guess only time will tell.

Obviously his arm is not what it used to be but if he’s got a clean pocket we saw what he could do earlier in the year, maybe that slow down doesn’t happen Armstead stays healthy and we don’t have to shuffle the line so much. That really killed the entire offense.

32 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I think Brees might be done, honestly. He didn’t look good yesterday, arm wise, and if you compare his early season stats to his late/post season stats, there’s a big drop off. Reminds me of Peyton in 2014. One more year might be 1 too many.

Brees arm has looked like noodle for years.  The difference between early season and late season was injuries to the oline.  The oline went downhill fast after Armstead got hurt, and the injuries kept piling up.

3 hours ago, Raves said:

They tried to find a #2 they just haven't been able to.

Signed Meredith, but he's been injured or too inept to see the field, though ineptness might be an injury of it's own.

Drafted Tre'Quan Smith who has been inconsistent with some great flashes and then just disappears.

Signed Dez Bryant who's Achilles blows up in practice.

Signed another aging but experienced WR who didn't make it through the week of practice.

Ginn was hurt for most of the season.

Like not much more they can really do when most other players are locked up or cost too much to sign.

Maybe there will be someone in the 2nd round the Saints can target at WR or TE.

IDK why Willie Snead didn't stick there. He's pretty reliable at moving the chains, considering the Ravens stopped caring about WRs halfway through the year.

I think with hindsight pursuing Meredith over him was a mistep.

They have the talent to go on another run in 2019 but obviously Drew Brees time is coming to an end. Its kinda crazy to think the Saints were gonna take Patrick Mahomes in 17 draft but of course the Chiefs grabbed him right before they were on the clock. Just the thought of a 55 year young Sean Payton and Mahomes at QB. Saints would have gone a decade+ of terrorizing the NFL.

Just now, raidersedge said:

They have the talent to go on another run in 2019 but obviously Drew Brees time is coming to an end. Its kinda crazy to think the Saints were gonna take Patrick Mahomes in 17 draft but of course the Chiefs grabbed him right before they were on the clock. Just the thought of a 55 year young Sean Payton and Mahomes at QB. Saints would have gone a decade+ of terrorizing the NFL.

That would've been at the cost of our defense as Lattimore has really turned our secondary around compared to what it was.  Our CB situation used to be one of the worst in the entire NFL and we couldn't find a good FA acquisition to save our lives.

Archived